samurai swords (1 Viewer)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
You can buy them from King of Knives...I went to have a look today...but they're too expensive...so just wondering if anyone knows of any other place that sells them

ChaoS-GoD

well i know there's a small museum down at bateman's bay or something that has a real samurai sword captured from a japanese pow in ww2. so u can go rob the place if ur really desperate. :)
and im quite sure you would at least need to have it registered at the police to possess it, coz it IS a lethal weapon nonetheless. though it shouldnt b much of a deal really unless u have a criminal record.
oh and i doubt u can find it cheap, coz stuff like that cant b imported into aust too easily. so by the laws of supply-and-demand, the prices will naturally be quite high.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
damnit chaos god your avatar is better than mine =/

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, some information.

You can buy them almost anywhere. King of Knives stores all stock them, as well as many gun shops (there's a good one on George St, between Central and cinemas).

You do NOT need a license to own swords bought here for two reasons. The first is that they are all ornamental weapons. Thus they are on the same level as those fancy knives you see everywhere. Yes, they're lethal, but they're only for display. Secondly, they are BLUNT (and can not be sharpened to battle level). Basically they're useless.

One thing. Please think carefully before you buy a sword outside Japan (or even within, to be frank) because most of them are fakers imported from China. They're just stainless steel copies, no good for anything but looks. Even the swords I saw in Kyoto are low quality, as makers of true Katana are bound by Japanese law to a limit of only about two swords produced per month.

Prices of these swords aren't here due to quality or import costs, they're high because people think they are worth $250. I say if you want the sword to hang on the wall and show off to guests or something, by all means go ahead. If you're like me, however, and want a good weapon for training and battle (not that I've needed it) then go and pay the thousands to some 90 year old Japanese Living Treasure and get a real sword made.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
i think theyve been outlawed
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The carrying of swords is now illegal in Australia, unless they are bound (ie not easy to pull out and kill people with). This allows you to bring them home from the airport or post office and whatever, but not to rob a bank or go gang-hunting. :)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Kool thanks lexicographer, I so wish I had bought one when I was in Japan, cos they were everywhere, but oh well, i'll just save up and buy one here.

What about nunchucks? (Sorry I don't know how to spell it) Can you buy them here? Are they expensive?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Those are illegal, even just possession (except within a martial arts context). That is, you may ONLY carry them to, from, and within practice of martial arts in a registered dojo. You CAN buy them from some martial arts suppliers, but you need to be registered with a dojo.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
How come they are illegal? You could just go make your own... and surely they can't do as much damage as a sword

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
hehhe, dojo. just like pokemon
Originally posted by yenta
How come they are illegal? You could just go make your own... and surely they can't do as much damage as a sword
it has something to do with that post- Martin Bryant thing
you know, the Tasmania massacre thing...

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
hehhe, dojo. just like pokemonit has something to do with that post- Martin Bryant thing
you know, the Tasmania massacre thing...
Yeah umm what do nunchukus have to do with Martin Bryant?!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The weapons crackdown started with him. First the semiautomatic weapons were banned. Then the gand wars brought the legislation against all concealable weapons (throwing stars, knives, nanchakku, cane swords etc).

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I hate it how the government only acts to ban something AFTER a tragic event involving that thing has happened...>: (

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
But that's the only time they can really say there's justification for banning things. If they ban "pre-emptively" people say the government is needlessly taking away their rights, that they've got no proof there's a reason for doing things and are just slowly trying to control more and more of people's lives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)