Saudi wants divorce after husband lifts her veil (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
ari89 said:
I think the lack of action when the law is broken is a bit stupid if they want it to be taken seriously.
Yeah, I think the problem then comes from the religious nut who is allowing these marriages. Most likely some quack of an imam, or perhaps a phony altogether. The state can't exactly hound them, even though they should.

Then again, I'm not expert in Islamic marriage.

Overall, this is a problem that would... [insert pro-caliphate response]

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Actually, in Western countries, love does tend to be a major factor in marriage. Yeah, yeah, I know there are cases in which it's just for money or whatever, but love before marriage is a part of our culture.
So is rampant unhealthy sexual activity amongst youths, a high suicide rate, a disturbingly high abortion rate and a media culture which portrays women as mere objects of male sexual desire. Western culture ftw.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
TacoTerrorist

oMG did u see the new Sex in the City movie? it was sooo cool the stori was good n bla bla bla..

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
So is rampant unhealthy sexual activity amongst youths, a high suicide rate, a disturbingly high abortion rate and a media culture which portrays women as mere objects of male sexual desire. Western culture ftw.
I prefer our higher standard of living and higher life expectancies to be honest. Even though we have a high suicide rate, somehow I doubt they're incredibly happy over in the Middle East. If life's so wonderful there, they wouldn't be coming in droves here.

And us portraying women like that? They actually treat them like that there, and I'm sure most would agree that's a bit worse...

So, Western culture ftw. :)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
If life's so wonderful there, they wouldn't be coming in droves here.
Obviously they're coming to impose their way of life on us and there is nothing we can do about it. :burn:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
If I was the husband I'd have divorced her, not the other way around. No wait, I wouldn't have married her at all.

Imagine what their wedding night must have been like :/

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
Calling it culture doesn't make the situation any less retarded.
I wasn't pretending it was less retarded, was I waffles.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
I prefer our higher standard of living and higher life expectancies to be honest. Even though we have a high suicide rate, somehow I doubt they're incredibly happy over in the Middle East. If life's so wonderful there, they wouldn't be coming in droves here.

And us portraying women like that? They actually treat them like that there, and I'm sure most would agree that's a bit worse...
I'm sure if we stopped bombing them they'd have a higher life expectancy. They aren't 'coming in droves', that's some anti-immigration, right-wing emotive crap. The crime rate there is lower, and women get treated with respect. The hair covering is to protect the modesty of woman so she doesn't get treated like a skank, ala the West, where you have 8yo's in high heels and makeup. I have been to a Muslim country and experienced the customs and I will say that women do get treated better because as I have stated, over in the West there is a real culture of women as sex objects. This is off-topic. Sorry.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
There's a problem when modesty is imposed on a woman though (like compulsory headscarf/coat thing/etc). Not saying all Muslim countries do that by the way. But it's up to each individual how much they want to preserve their modesty (or not, as the case may be) and how.

X

xeuyrawp

TacoTerrorist said:
I'm sure if we stopped bombing them they'd have a higher life expectancy. They aren't 'coming in droves', that's some anti-immigration, right-wing emotive crap. The crime rate there is lower, and women get treated with respect. The hair covering is to protect the modesty of woman so she doesn't get treated like a skank, ala the West, where you have 8yo's in high heels and makeup. I have been to a Muslim country and experienced the customs and I will say that women do get treated better because as I have stated, over in the West there is a real culture of women as sex objects. This is off-topic. Sorry.
Pretty much most of what you say is shit, but to be honest I can understand where you're coming from.

To simplify matters for you, within the next few hours people are going to flame you for being some sort of Islamic lunatic. They'll claim that Muslim women are oppressed and mistreated. Having lived and worked in two Islamic countries (although one of them for only three months), I'll back you up in that the west is quick to mislabel the near east. That being said, a lot of Muslims are just as bad - I think most of them see western women as sluts and far more oppressed by western men's treatment of them.

But noone really cares, people will throw every logical and rhetorical (in that order) tool at you, and then just abuse you for trying to suggest that maybe a few problems would be solved if people weren't so quick to dismiss others.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Weird, this is very uncommon, I doubt that any muslim lady would ever wear her veil or hijab when she's sleeping, or at home, or when she's with her husband :\ *shrug*

But anyway, who bloody cares.

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
To simplify matters for you, within the next few hours people are going to flame you for being some sort of Islamic lunatic. They'll claim that Muslim women are oppressed and mistreated. Having lived and worked in two Islamic countries (although one of them for only three months), I'll back you up in that the west is quick to mislabel the near east. That being said, a lot of Muslims are just as bad - I think most of them see western women as sluts and far more oppressed by western men's treatment of them.
Awesome, which countries have you been to, may i ask?

X

xeuyrawp

MaNiElla said:
Awesome, which countries have you been to, may i ask?
Weh? I've been to a lot. Only lived in Malaysia for a year, and lived/worked in Egypt for three months.

raven2000

HSC
black_kat_meow said:

So, Western culture ftw. :)
WOw.. I cant believe u actually said that about higher standards of living... Lol.
It has nothing to do with love marriages/arranged marriages, religion or anything like that. The only reason why western countries have higher standards of living and higher life expectancies is because they are richer then the rest, can afford better technology/medicine/doctors etc. . .
Eg.. Ethopias life expectancy is 52, its HDI is 0.406 and its GDP per capita is 823...
Countries with higher economic growth & development generally have higher life expectancies.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Meanwhile:

EGYPTIAN authorities have banned a 92-year-old Saudi man from marrying a poor teenage girl 75 years his junior, a judicial source said.

The justice ministry made its ruling under a law designed to prevent wealthy Arabs from the Gulf from snapping up young Egyptian girls and which forbids marriage when there is an age gap of 25 years or more.

The unidentified Saudi holidaymaker proposed marriage to a 17-year-old village girl and offered a dowry of about $US28,000 ($30,000) as well as gold jewellery, the source said.

"Her parents, who are very poor, accepted,'' he said.

But the justice ministry refused to register the marriage, citing the legislation brought in during the Gulf oil boom.

However, according to Egypt's Al-Akhbar newspaper, the authorities allowed 173 such marriages last year after the foreign husbands paid the equivalent of $US8,000 ($8,550) into the Egyptian National Bank.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23865686-23109,00.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)