Scaling FAQ (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I've seen a lot of questions on how scaling works, so I've decided to create something of an FAQ, which Lazarus can add corrections/additions to if he feels like it.

Who determines scaling and UAIs?
The actual calculations are performed on behalf of the universities by the Technical Committee on Scaling, which obtains the necessary HSC results from the NSW Board of Studies.

Once all of the calculations have been done, the Technical Committee passes the data on to the UAC which then distributes UAIs to students and universities.

What about aligning?
This is a completely different process, carried out by the BOS, where students raw marks are aligned to standards, say if their raw mark would indicate thorough knowledge of the work they get a band 6. Raw marks, not aligned marks are used in the calculation of scaled marks and the UAI. Aligned marks are explained in more detail here.

What is the scaled mean for a subject?
It is, as the name suggests, the average scaled mark in a subject among all the candidates. Scaled means can be found here.

The scaled mean for a given course is an estimate of the average academic ability of the students taking that course.

How is the scaled mean for each subject determined?
It is determined by calculating the performance of the average student doing a course in other subjects. This is why English is compulsory, because it provides a common subject against which scaling can be determined.
Scaling in extension courses is determined differently, in that the only course the candidates' results are compared with are either the core subject, or in the case of extension 2, the extension 1 subject. If the average extension 2 student performs twice as well as the average extension 1 student in the extension 1 course, the scaling for the extension 2 course will be roughly twice as good as that of the extension 1 course.

What are scaled marks used for?
The students best two units of English and their 8 other best units have their scaled marks totalled to calculate a scaled aggregate, out of 500. This scaled aggregate is then compared to other students, the students are then ranked, and a UAI is calculated based on this rank.

Hope this answers some of your questions:)

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
you're a very good boy waf, a very good boy. mummy's proud of you. :p

HSC
Thanks man, you've really helped me get my life back on track! One day in years to come, I'll tell my children about this day (Or, in the event that I don't have children, I'll abduct some off the street and tell them about it).

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Thanks waffy for that, you're an inspiration to our organisation

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
waffles = too much time on his hands.

(but impressive :))

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
look at the post count per day for waf compared to joe. just amazing :p

rawr26

HSC
withoutaface said:
What about aligning?
This is a completely different process, carried out by the BOS, where students raw marks are aligned to standards, say if their raw mark would indicate thorough knowledge of the work they get a band 6. Raw marks, not aligned marks are used in the calculation of scaled marks and the UAI. Aligned marks are explained in more detail here.
Perhaps a stupid question, but i'm confused. So what your saying is that when determining your UAI, UAC uses your raw marks and not the ones you get from BOS?

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
That is correct. The raw marks are used by the UAC and scaled. So, technically, the marks you see when the results come out aren't used in the calculation of the UAI. But that doesn't mean they are meaningless to estimating what UAI you might get.

dreamer7

HSC
What happens if 2 high-scoring subjects have the same mark? How would your 10 'best units' be determined then? Or if you get the same mark for all subjects?

gamecw

HSC
mmm then why does SAM use aligned mark to estimate UAI

Edit:

is it like reversed process or sumthin,

from aligned marks to Raw marks then to Scaled mark then estimate UAI?

Last edited:

benny.a

HSC
How about if your best 8 units are:
- English advanced
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry

and then another of your best units is extension 1 which is only one unit. If they add one more 2 unit subject that will equal 11 units, how will determine ur UAI?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
A 'two unit' course is made up of two units... it's possible for only one of them to count. :)

Involves halving your mark.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Unclear, not enough information, try SAM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)