Scaling issue, help fellow 09ers! (or fellow members) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Lyounamu, i honestly believe u should stick with, the fact that it is a good scaling subject is irrespective. I HATED chem in yr 11 because i thought it was all so dry.. and i still do think it was lol but year 12 chem, i believe is completely different. I suggest sticking with it and seeing what u think at that stage

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
FuseNick said:
I would keep chemistry, if it is not hurting your study time for other subjects. Stop regreting what subjects you chose and finding out what mark you will get if you get this mark, and start studying instead.
Nick, you realise how crap I am becoming in Chemistry, right?

By the way, you seem to give me really random advices at school but I am glad that you are giving some real stuffs here. :)

Thanks for that.

Trajan

HSC
Yes, Lyounamu. Exphate is right.

Do not worry about things like this....scaling and whatnot.

Just remember, I got a pretty decent UAI and I'll freely admit that I was nowhere close to your current level back during my HSC. Also you still have a lot of time to improve since you're only in prelim.

So just keep going strong with your studies and keep the subjects you feel most confident in.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
People can achieve 100% UAI even with PDHPE [well I know of one girl who did anyway] which I think is a low scaling subject, so it's not *all* up to scaling. I must admit though, I'm rather easily swayed by the scaling thing as well... After all, last year's Chinese background speaker highest mark of 49.5 was scaled down to 20-something!!

I recommend you stick with chem, since you're doing well. You eventually grow you to quite like it too! If you wish, you could keep both business studies and chem for a while. When you have some experience of both subjects at a HSC level, then you could make your decision.
Since you're aiming to maximise your UAI though, chem sounds like the safer bet...

Tsylana

HSC
Don't you only need an aggregrate of about 470 to get 100 UAI...?

Doesn't that mean the people that get 100 UAI still lose 30 aggregrate points..? why you worried about the scaling dropping you 5 points or so..? ><"...

I might be wrong here tho...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Tsylana said:
Don't you only need an aggregrate of about 470 to get 100 UAI...?

Doesn't that mean the people that get 100 UAI still lose 30 aggregrate points..? why you worried about the scaling dropping you 5 points or so..? ><"...

I might be wrong here tho...
It is about 485 to get 100 UAI. But that's not a practical aim for me.

By the way, the thing is I want to drop something so that I can pick up Distinction Course by the end of this year. Do you think it would be wise to pick Cosmology? I have got no idea how difficult this subject might be or how good I will become in this subject. Do you think it is wise to choose a subject that you basically have no idea about? I just want to do it because it sounds interesting and I guess this experience is once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

However, picking up this subject will mean that I will have to drop something even though I may be good at them.

Cerry

HSC
It's always better to do well in a poor scaling subject that completely screw up in a subject that scales well.
Scaling is only your friend if you hit the state average, so, as a general rule, if get 49% in a good scaling subject when the state average is 50%, you'll do worse than your poor scaling subject where you get 51% if the state average is 50% (actually, with marks that close, it's probably not a big difference, but you get the idea).
Based on that, I'd do the subject that I'm enjoying more, because I'd be more inclined to put in the hard work it needs to get a good mark.

As for cosmology, I'm not doing it myself, but one of my good friends is. She new pretty much nothing about it when she picked it up, and is doing pretty well at it. But she says that even though it's a science, it's a lot more like English, because it's all essays and crap, even though all the facts and stuff are there for you.
To be able to do a distinction course, you have to be really motivated, because there's so much independent work involved. And lots of people find that difficult, because if you get stuck, there's not an easily accessable teacher, or friends who are doing the same subject, to ask questions. There's also not anyone constantly pushing you to get your work done, like lots of teachers do.

beve

Jesus
HSC
lyounamu said:
It is about 485 to get 100 UAI. But that's not a practical aim for me.

By the way, the thing is I want to drop something so that I can pick up Distinction Course by the end of this year. Do you think it would be wise to pick Cosmology? I have got no idea how difficult this subject might be or how good I will become in this subject. Do you think it is wise to choose a subject that you basically have no idea about? I just want to do it because it sounds interesting and I guess this experience is once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

However, picking up this subject will mean that I will have to drop something even though I may be good at them.
...the fuck is an aggregate?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
beve said:
...the fuck is an aggregate?
Aggregate means total scaled mark which is out of 500.

As you are already aware, 1 Unit = 50 marks (scaled marks) and 10 Units in total count towards your UAI which is 500 marks (scaled marks).

To achieve 100 UAI, you need to get about 485/500 scaled marks (which is extremely difficult).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:
do you want to post your marks
Business Studies: 92% (1)
Chemistry: 81% (2)
HSC Mathematics: 95% (3)
HSC Mathematics Extension 1: 90% (3)
Biology: 94% (1)
English: 94% (1)
SOR: ?

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Your marks are very good and your ranks are too..
your looking at 99 UAI lol

beve

Jesus
HSC
lyounamu said:
Aggregate means total scaled mark which is out of 500.

As you are already aware, 1 Unit = 50 marks (scaled marks) and 10 Units in total count towards your UAI which is 500 marks (scaled marks).

To achieve 100 UAI, you need to get about 485/500 scaled marks (which is extremely difficult).
Oh right. Cheers.

I got no hope of doing that well.. lol.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
your marks are great in chemistry, wait until your prelim is over to decide what to drop

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Woah.. too pro man.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
uai estimate of 95+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)