scaling (1 Viewer)

gerg tenrab 07

Tip the Scales
HSC
this is all well and good but why are we discussing this in a HSC forum when th people who need to know thos are the yr 10's and the yr 11' choosing what subjects they want to do and what subjects tehy are going to drop, if any

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i am so sick of people telling me i do low scaling subjects and that i've jeopardised my UAI by doing so. that or they give me the pity line " oh that sucks that you're all into humanities but they don't scale high ay? gosh if only you were good at maths and science" , yes because maths and science are the only way in which we as human beings can ever hope to succeed in life and if we do not achieve in those subjects we are obviously not worthy of anything.
sorry for sounding rather cynical at the moment its just that i'm getting a lot of that at the mo with lil yr 10s coming and asking me about subject selection and other yr 12s sharing scaling woes.
the BOS woman who came to our school in yrs 10,11 and 12 stated that you should CHOOSE SUBJECTS YOU LIKE AND SCALING WILL WORK IN YOUR FAVOUR IF YOU DO WELL BECAUSE THAT IS ITS PURPOSE.
i hate going to curry parties and all the other curry parents going "your daughter doesn't do maths or science? she only goes to macquarie fields? but how does she expect to do well? what subjects does she DO?"
aaaaaaaaargh there are other subjects in the world bitches and i hate the way some of them look down their noses at me and i can just see them scoffing in their minds thinking that i am no rival to their son/daughter doing all three sciences and 4unit maths.
THEY CAN DO GO DIE
*ahem*
end rant

Beege

HSC
Well I picked the subjects I would enjoy and I pretty much do plus I'm doing relatively well in them. The only thing I should of chosen would of been advanced english because of their attitude to perform well in the HSC unlike most of the standard cohort at my school.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
ahen said:
i am so sick of people telling me i do low scaling subjects and that i've jeopardised my UAI by doing so. that or they give me the pity line " oh that sucks that you're all into humanities but they don't scale high ay? gosh if only you were good at maths and science" , yes because maths and science are the only way in which we as human beings can ever hope to succeed in life and if we do not achieve in those subjects we are obviously not worthy of anything.
sorry for sounding rather cynical at the moment its just that i'm getting a lot of that at the mo with lil yr 10s coming and asking me about subject selection and other yr 12s sharing scaling woes.
the BOS woman who came to our school in yrs 10,11 and 12 stated that you should CHOOSE SUBJECTS YOU LIKE AND SCALING WILL WORK IN YOUR FAVOUR IF YOU DO WELL BECAUSE THAT IS ITS PURPOSE.
i hate going to curry parties and all the other curry parents going "your daughter doesn't do maths or science? she only goes to macquarie fields? but how does she expect to do well? what subjects does she DO?"
aaaaaaaaargh there are other subjects in the world bitches and i hate the way some of them look down their noses at me and i can just see them scoffing in their minds thinking that i am no rival to their son/daughter doing all three sciences and 4unit maths.
THEY CAN DO GO DIE
*ahem*
end rant
lol hence my reluctance to drop 4u maths.
stupid asian-parental-network.

HSC
ok, people who worry about scaling are worrying about a lost causse

for one, scaling is uncontrollable and varies each year depending on the calibre of the candiditure within each subject. Choosing a subject because it has 'scaled' well in the past few years is ridiculous

having said that though, scaling is a means of balancing each subject because of the varying level of difficulty within each. Marks do not get increased above other subjects based on difficulty, they get balanced out. For instance, a 70/120 for 4 unit maths would be worth a lot more in 2 unit maths, perhaps 100-110+ for instance, and hence 4 unit get scaled accoridingly

many students have developed superficial ideas regarding the issue of scaling, and many more have ruined their hsc because of it,

don;t be ignorant

i usually base subject choice of three things:
1) do subjects u enjoy
2) do subjects u are good at
3) do subjects that u might need for a course/job in the future

if ur subject doesn's fit the criteria, don;t choose it

scaling is not in the hands of the students, but UAC
i suggest that if ur not working for UAC, then u forget scaling

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
I agree with most people here saying they should pick a subject based on enjoyment and other reasons. But sometimes i would say scaling can be unfair.

I have a friend who does senior science and IPT , both average scaling subjects. He is an extremely hard working guy, and for sure is more hard working and smarter than me and is getting 90+ in the subjects he does. But his predicted UAI much lower because of the subjects he picked.

Does this seem fair to you?

Topping the state in senior science (97 last year)
is equivalent to getting low 80's in 4u maths (bottom 40% of state)

I understand subjects such as senior science and IPT are easier compared to 4u maths/english. But there is so much inequality in scaling between some subjects, its not funny

williamc

HSC
drynxz said:
Topping the state in senior science (97 last year)
is equivalent to getting low 80's in 4u maths (bottom 40% of state)
Subject performance descriptors are not comparable between subjects.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
the pospinator said:
For instance, a 70/120 for 4 unit maths would be worth a lot more in 2 unit maths, perhaps 100-110+ for instance, and hence 4 unit get scaled accoridingly
ooh i hope thats true haha , i only got 61 / 120 for my trials =( - in 4u that is

MathsIsWeird

HSC
just a quick and silly question, i do 6 subjects that = 12 units so if i do really bad in one subject which is the one they will not count in my uai does it still effect it in any way.?

thanks

williams180

HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
just a quick and silly question, i do 6 subjects that = 12 units so if i do really bad in one subject which is the one they will not count in my uai does it still effect it in any way.?
thanks
u just answered that urself

MathsIsWeird

HSC
what i meant was do they completely discount it because ive heard people say if you do bad in one subject it scales your entire uai down, and yes i know i sound stupid but just want to be entirely sure so i dont completly stuff up my uai.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
what i meant was do they completely discount it because ive heard people say if you do bad in one subject it scales your entire uai down, and yes i know i sound stupid but just want to be entirely sure so i dont completly stuff up my uai.
If it's not one of the 10 units that makes up your UAI, then it is completely discounted altogether.

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
ahen said:
i am so sick of people telling me i do low scaling subjects and that i've jeopardised my UAI by doing so. that or they give me the pity line " oh that sucks that you're all into humanities but they don't scale high ay? gosh if only you were good at maths and science" , yes because maths and science are the only way in which we as human beings can ever hope to succeed in life and if we do not achieve in those subjects we are obviously not worthy of

Mhm, agreed! I'm sick of getting told 'Oh you're doing Economics and Business Studies .. Good luck getting a 90+ UAI with that' and 'Hahaha Studies of Religion is compulsory for you guys, isn't it? That's gonna scale you down heaps!' And... I want to shoot every person who goes up to my parents and says 'Why are you paying for her to go to a private school when SHE isn't doing any sciences? Is SHE just going to work next year or something?' Apparently I'm stupid because I do General Maths and no Sciences. Little do they know that my UAI is predicted to be 90+ and I work hard enough to achieve it! Another one that annoys me is 'Oh, you DROPPED down to General Maths' .. I didn't drop anything! Completely different course!

I personally hate science, that's why I don't do them! I picked what I enjoy and it's paying off. I'm no longer stressed about only getting a 70 in 2U Maths and not getting the whole Chem thing (I dropped it at the end of term 1, y11), which means that I'm not spending unnecessary time trying to study/stressing over something that I know I can't change. Plus, I became sooo unmotivated when I knew I wasn't achieving to my standards in the subjects I hated, and am now doing better since I can allocate my time more effectively to every subject and WILL put the effort in because I enjoy them, rather than just going 'nahh, I hate it .. I'll do it tomorrow'.

Apparently my school isn't running Economics/SORII/Legal Studies again and only having 1 Business Studies class because the year 10's have been convinced that these subjects 'scale poorly' and 'they won't get a high UAI if they do them'. I just want to slap them over the head with a textbook!

Ademir

HSC
I don't think that many students are brainwashed per se, I think parental brainwashing is worse. Parents seem to think that a certain subject selection is required for someone to do well and most students follow their parent's wishes because they can't be bothered putting up with disappointment and annoying questions over the course of the year.

So, just tell them you're doing subjects you aren't.

If they're not extra inquisitive, they won't even know until two weeks before the HSC.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
xclusv2bhung said:
ooh i hope thats true haha , i only got 61 / 120 for my trials =( - in 4u that is
Thats pretty ownage

chaithu

HSC
hey guyz i have absolutely no idea how uai works??..

here r my results from my first assessment marks

math 64% ( stupid teacher cut marks simply i gave paper back to check again i should get 70+) weighting 15%
biology 72% ( weighting 5%)
physics 56% (weignting 5%)
chemistry 49% (weighting 5%)
eng 50%:eek:
i am good at chemistry and i made so many sily mistakes..arggg!!:angry:
as u can see science aubject r only 5% weighting any advise on this ..does this count like a big scale to uai??? i am sur ei can do very well from next assessments onwards...
how am i going?? any advise plssssss
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

bassistx

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Yeah, Studies of Religion is compulsory at some of the schools I know, including mine, at least for year 11, if not year 12 as well :uhhuh:
WTF? That's bloody ridiculous. I guess it promotes tolerance? lol. Weirdddd...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)