Scholarship to go on exchange during holidays? (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
Hey guys,

Just asking, my teacher feels that I have a considerable chance of getting a paid exchange to Japan at the end of the year. I'd have to apply and all, but I think it would be invaluable to my year 12 studies. However, it would be for two weeks during the Christmas break. I'm looking to attain around >99 next year. How much would these prospective two weeks inhibit my study? How much studying do people do during this period? What would you guys do?

Keep in mind, I've been to Japan before and have come back and resumed work immediately. It would be a fantastic experience for my studies.

Thanks
Nick

powlmao

Banned
HSC
You are joking....

The ability to go on exchange is invaluable

And it is your holidays, you aren't expected to do heaps of study.

So do it

ismeta

HSC
You are joking....

The ability to go on exchange is invaluable

And it is your holidays, you aren't expected to do heaps of study.

So do it
This, plus there are five weeks in the summer holidays. Only taking two weeks out of it is really no problem, especially given how it'll help your Japanese. :D Unintentional study! Plus three weeks is plenty for doing whatever study you'd like.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Think of this realistically. You are not giong to spend the whole summer holidays studying. So enjoy yuor exchange

madharris

HSC
N/A
My friend went on the same thing/something similar. He went to japan on a scholarship and he loved it, and it helped his japanese soooo much!
If you have a chance to apply then you should apply. It's an amazing experience and i recommend that you do it

Shazer2

HSC
Japan is an amazing place, I went this April. :) I'm not in the same situation, but I would go!

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
GO ON THE EXCHANGE OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!

It'll be an amazing experience and when you're applying for scholarships they want to see something unique and individual. Tell them this and you've got them. Also as you've said in your signature you're considering Oxford/Cambridge Law, once again - this could definitely help in your written applications!

Good luck :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't go, I'm disowning you. No joke, you will regret it majorly if you don't. You're doing Japanest and Ext so it will actually help your schoolwork +being an awesome enriching experience. And it'd be so hard to work when you would know you could be in Japan in those hols. Please only 0.01 of the state actually works all the way through the summer hols.

PLEASE, PLEASE GO for your own sake. This will open so many more doors for you, you can't even imagine.

Personal anecdote time. I went away for two weeks to Perth in my summer hols for a science gig. I'm also going overseas for 3 weeks around trial period.
Can't vouch for the extra three weeks yet, but I went away in summer hols for two weeks, did no work in that time and still came 1st in the majority of my subs for half yearlies. I personally know of two people who went overseas for 2-3 weeks mid year for an international program that got 99+(Arguably much worse timing than yours). It can be done!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Hey guys,

Just asking, my teacher feels that I have a considerable chance of getting a paid exchange to Japan at the end of the year. I'd have to apply and all, but I think it would be invaluable to my year 12 studies. However, it would be for two weeks during the Christmas break. I'm looking to attain around >99 next year. How much would these prospective two weeks inhibit my study? How much studying do people do during this period? What would you guys do?

Keep in mind, I've been to Japan before and have come back and resumed work immediately. It would be a fantastic experience for my studies.

Thanks
Nick
By any chance are you applying for the Kizuna scholarship?

HSC
Uni Grad
But all seriousness, do it, it won't hurt. I went on JENESYS last year missed out on a week of school at the end of the year to go on it, and my listening and speaking skills have improved. You would gain an experience that you won't have anywhere else and it'll improve on your Japanese.

Chronost

HSC
Were the interviews troublesome or simple for the JENESYS program? What kind of people do they take in? And do they test your Japanese during anytime?

HSC
Uni Grad
Were the interviews troublesome or simple for the JENESYS program? What kind of people do they take in? And do they test your Japanese during anytime?
The interviews were straight forward for JENESYS, so they asked what type of person does your family and friends think, what type of person do you think you are, have you experience anything major in your life etc. They took a range of people, all of whom have an obvious interest in Japan. But there was one person that I met, who was negative and racist, so that was an exception to the rule. They ask you have you been studying Japanese and there were lessons for Japanese and the homestay you can try your Japanese. So most of the time they were testing or doing something about Japanese.

Chronost

HSC
The interviews were straight forward for JENESYS, so they asked what type of person does your family and friends think, what type of person do you think you are, have you experience anything major in your life etc. They took a range of people, all of whom have an obvious interest in Japan. But there was one person that I met, who was negative and racist, so that was an exception to the rule. They ask you have you been studying Japanese and there were lessons for Japanese and the homestay you can try your Japanese. So most of the time they were testing or doing something about Japanese.
Mmm... I see, alright that helps, thanks.

2xL

HSC
Are you serious? You're in prelim! Go for it!

EDIT: Well you'll be in year 12 since year 11 only goes for 3 terms but trust me hardly anyone does any study during that 6 week break. The main study block for year 12 is this one coming up; before trials. Go have fun in Japan!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)