• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School and ATAR (2 Viewers)

Eg155

HSC
I think this is very much personal preference:
• do you perform better with fierce competition and less support?
OR
• do you perform better with weak competition and strong support?

It's really just preference.
Nope.

OP: If you can teach yourself, stay where you are. If you need someone to push you, go back to the other one. Either one will be fine though, compared to mine at least.
Lol yer, i met people from your school and they think our new one is like heaven :L wowww, it must've been bad..
Can't teach myself.. god help me in uni :L hahaha

Eg155

HSC
I think this is very much personal preference:
• do you perform better with fierce competition and less support?
OR
• do you perform better with weak competition and strong support?

It's really just preference.
option b..
but tbh it's not like i've tried to study.. but i dont know where we are in the syllabus and :S :S :S
I stay where i am for social environment..

qwerty44

HSC
option b..
but tbh it's not like i've tried to study.. but i dont know where we are in the syllabus and :S :S :S
I stay where i am for social environment..
Then it is social environment vs education.

Choose between them. If your not motivated to self study then your current school isnt much help in terms of education. But is the social environment at your old school bad?

Eg155

HSC
Then it is social environment vs education.

Choose between them. If your not motivated to self study then your current school isnt much help in terms of education. But is the social environment at your old school bad?
Reminiscing about it turns me off going back. Rather work myself to the bone and stay where i am..
yes, it's horrible. No one goes anywhere.

D94

HSC
N/A
If a person was to go to a school that has a very large cohort say 500 in the grade (which is very strong.. mixed nationality)
would this be an advantage to their ATAR?? with the addition of being an 'independent learning' school where you are meant to teach yourself ..
Vs a school that teaches you, with a fairly small and poor cohort with a good education..
Trying to decide.
Well this is seems to be a contradiction; how would you get a "good education" if you're in a poor cohort, presumably the quality of education is bad because the cohort is bad?. Or do you mean something else?

Have you seen any evidence that a smaller cohort infers more support from the teachers? That's a very big assumption to make because if it turns out that even with a small cohort you still need to teach yourself, then you've just placed yourself in an even worser position than to start with.

qwerty44

HSC
Well this is seems to be a contradiction; how would you get a "good education" if you're in a poor cohort, presumably the quality of education is bad because the cohort is bad?. Or do you mean something else?

Have you seen any evidence that a smaller cohort infers more support from the teachers? That's a very big assumption to make because if it turns out that even with a small cohort you still need to teach yourself, then you've just placed yourself in an even worser position than to start with.
She means the quality of education is better in terms of teachers (their support, time, willingness to help etc), resources, facilities etc. but the cohort just isnt bright.

Eg155

HSC

Nah, the education is bad but the cohort is good. Not to be stereotypical or anything but we have a larger proportion of people of Asian background... I think they may get full on tutoring because we all screw around in class and then they get their marks back and it's like whoaa? :O
No, the teachers in a smaller cohort generally favour teaching students with any form of potential IMO. Well that's what happened last time ..

qwerty44

HSC
Nah, the education is bad but the cohort is good. Not to be stereotypical or anything but we have a larger proportion of people of Asian background... I think they may get full on tutoring because we all screw around in class and then they get their marks back and it's like whoaa? :O
No, the teachers in a smaller cohort generally favour teaching students with any form of potential IMO. Well that's what happened last time ..
I think he meant your old school.

M

MichelleV

I can't imagine having a grade of 500.

My entire school only had 500 people at one point. One year, the let it 170 kids in a grade and it was like insane, so they cut it back to just 100 the next year :p

I think they maybe have 700ish at the moment.

D94

HSC
N/A
She means the quality of education is better in terms of teachers (their support, time, willingness to help etc), resources, facilities etc. but the cohort just isnt bright.
Fair enough, but she needs to be certain that the quality of education is indeed good, and not some general media/personal perspective.

You should realise that this is a major assumption. I mean, if you are absolutely certain that you will get a better education with a smaller cohort, then by all means you should consider that. But if you have no evidence that the quality of education is good, then you are taking a risk, because you are almost certainly required to come first in all your subjects in order to do well, and that's on top of teaching yourself in the worst case scenario.

Eg155

HSC
Fair enough, but she needs to be certain that the quality of education is indeed good, and not some general media/personal perspective.

You should realise that this is a major assumption. I mean, if you are absolutely certain that you will get a better education with a smaller cohort, then by all means you should consider that. But if you have no evidence that the quality of education is good, then you are taking a risk, because you are almost certainly required to come first in all your subjects in order to do well, and that's on top of teaching yourself in the worst case scenario.
Lol, I've already attended this school with a small cohort. I'm just thinking about going back to it..
The teaching is better, i know that.

Eg155

HSC
I can't imagine having a grade of 500.

My entire school only had 500 people at one point. One year, the let it 170 kids in a grade and it was like insane, so they cut it back to just 100 the next year :p

I think they maybe have 700ish at the moment.
It's a massive grade I must admit. I mean unless you arrange to meet your friends you will most probably not see them the whole day :L
But the plus is that you make a lot of new friends being a school that big.
It's a senior high school so it only consists of yr 11 and yr 12 with 500 in each grade approx. it's a 'uni-style' environment.

D94

HSC
N/A
Lol, I've already attended this school with a small cohort. I'm just thinking about going back to it..
The teaching is better, i know that.
Then by all means go back to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)