School Certificate Science MARATHON (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Well I want to improve on my science so I created a Marathon for science alone.

I
I'll start =)

Explain the term inertia.

Riot09

HSC
Inertia-is the propery of an object that tends to make it resist a change in motion,whether it be stationary or moving.so if it was stationary it would stay stationary and if it was moving it would stay moving event though no force is being applied to the object so for example if you were in space and fliped a coin the coin will flip for eternity unless a another force was acted upon at.(strange but true).

okay my turn,discus the impact of a modern (1500ad-present) scientific discovery on society.

silence--

HSC
maybe/maybe not. i guess it could be since SC science is mostly skills.

i guess you could talk about electricity or something. it's a broad question.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Inertia-is the propery of an object that tends to make it resist a change in motion,whether it be stationary or moving.so if it was stationary it would stay stationary and if it was moving it would stay moving event though no force is being applied to the object so for example if you were in space and fliped a coin the coin will flip for eternity unless a another force was acted upon at.(strange but true).

okay my turn,discus the impact of a modern (1500ad-present) scientific discovery on society.
Umm.. I'm not sure how to approach that question so I'm going to talk about the atomic theory? lol
1808- John Dalton created the first modern theory of the atom. He suggested that atoms were identical, unbreakable spheres. (I'm very vague about him)
1897- Joseph Thomson suggested atoms were positively charged spheres with electrons embedded on them.
1911- Ernest Rutherford suggested electrons orbited the nucleus.
1913- Neils Bohr suggested atoms orbited the nucleus at different levels.
1932- James Chadwick discovered that the proton alone could not account for the atom's entire mass. He discovered the neutron.

Lol and as for the impact on society.. well I don't know?

Name 3 reasons for nuclear energy.
Name 3 reasons against nuclear energy.

Riot09

HSC
well this question was in my trail science examination and i did come first in the class.however i did write "a modern......." refering to one discovery i think the (1500-present) modern history definition of modern confused you guys i apoligize for this.what i meant was just identify a scientific discovery and hindsight i should have putted this in between 1500ad and present-day and its impact on society such as the discovery of E=mc^2 which led to the atomic age and subsequent bombing of nagasaki and hiroshima and the moral and ethical questions this raised.or the discovery of stem cell research and the subsequent debate over morality in religious circles and whether scientists should be playing god in the opinion of the general public.

stuff like that its proberly a mix of history i guess,anyway sorry for the misunderstanding.

okay ill post another question up.

question 64 of the 2008 science sc worth 8 marks

evaluate the impact of an environmental problem.in youre answer show how science can help reduce the impact on society and the environment.

(climate change,natural events and "energy" are just a few topics to write about )

supre

HSC
pros of nuclear energy

• it is reliable as in it is less likely to run out in the near future
  • it creates less pollution in the atmosphere
  • it is one of the safest method of producing electricity

pman

Banned
HSC
Just telling you not to worry, still vividly remember the maths q were they gave us 4 points and asked us to join them in a square!

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Just telling you not to worry, still vividly remember the maths q were they gave us 4 points and asked us to join them in a square!
Lol im worried because I want to do good! x)

Riot09

HSC
Name 3 reasons for/against nuclear energy.

for:
1.economically effiecient source of energy.
2.does not emit greehouse gases therefore does not contribute to climate change

against
1.nuclear waste is radioactive and takes milillions of years to decay and are harmful to all living organisms.
2.nuclear materials can be used to make nuclear weapons under the cover of a nuclear energy project or worse can be sold to terroists to produce nuclear weapons.
3.nuclear reactors cost alot to construct and remain radioactive for a long time after they stop producing nuclear energy.

supre

HSC
evaluate the impact of an environmental problem.in youre answer show how science can help reduce the impact on society and the environment.

(climate change,natural events and "energy" are just a few topics to write about )
would earthquakes be one of them.

well earthquakes usually causes mass destruction on earth that destroys everything from buildings to wildlife. science has helped in this by making the seismograph that measures the previous earthquakes as well as providing some indication of what else that area can expect.

and if this was an exam question offcourse i would extend this more

Riot09

HSC
yeagh,thats good.

how come you didn't ask a question after you answered.just make up one in the spot.

Riot09

HSC
(q.21) when cells reproduce,what does the transfered dna contain?

a.genes b.chromosones c.nucleii d .proteins

supre

HSC
(q.21) when cells reproduce,what does the transfered dna contain?

a.genes b.chromosones c.nucleii d .proteins
i am guessing its genes.
ok i will ask a question this time (made it up just then)

what benefits can biotechnology bring to the future?

Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC
i am guessing its genes.
ok i will ask a question this time (made it up just then)

what benefits can biotechnology bring to the future?
is chromosomes not genes!

clonning of human will be the answer of the benefits.

my turn: name one polyatomic ions!

Riot09

HSC
sodium chloride

ion=an atom with a charge

poly means many in greek,hence polymers,polynomials etc,)polyatomic ion means a group of atoms with a charge,

i like to provide "laymen" explanations.so no ones left out.

1.what is the formula for calculating the speed of a object and give an example?

2.what is the diferrence between speed and velocity and distance and displacement respectively,(because i saw a person considered "smart" left out a displacement question because he didnt know what was,because the teacher didnt teach us that,so much for being born smart and/or intelligent i guess.)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
sodium chloride

ion=an atom with a charge

poly means many in greek,hence polymers,polynomials etc,)polyatomic ion means a group of atoms with a charge,

i like to provide "laymen" explanations.so no ones left out.

1.what is the formula for calculating the speed of a object and give an example?

2.what is the diferrence between speed and velocity and distance and displacement respectively,(because i saw a person considered "smart" left out a displacement question because he didnt know what was,because the teacher didnt teach us that,so much for being born smart and/or intelligent i guess.)
1. Speed = distance divided by time.
2. Speed: distance moved per unit per time
Velocity: speed in a given direction
Displacement: the distance moved from starting point to finishing point in a stated duration of time.

Define the term homestasis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)