School Not Allowing Us To Drop A Subject (1 Viewer)

sannous1

HSC
Well throughout the yr, our vice principal is always sayn she wuldnt like any1 to drop a subject, and so we should keep all 12 units, since many girls fall out in one subject and dont have a back up.
Well now apparently, we are supposed to choose the subject to drop, but our school has said, that were not going to drop a subject until next year. And everyone is like really pissy, espically me, like we might as well just do that subject for another two terms i guess.
But there tricking us, nxt year will come and they'll say might as well just keep it, theres really no point of me doing an extra subject , im wasting my time and the teachers time, and plus were getting assignments now, and were going to have exams by the end of this term, and thats 1 extra subject to study for.

Can they do this? Isn't supposed to be our choice if we want to keep 12 units or 10? I mean we are a public school as well, and its not our fault some girls have broken down in a subject and had no backup.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Bullshit. If you wanna drop a subject and you have the required 10Us and 4 different subjects, then you should be able to. (But some schools haven't let students drop any subjects yet but they will let us as soon as our Yr 11 reports come out - that's different).

sannous1

HSC
Aerath said:
Bullshit. If you wanna drop a subject and you have the required 10Us and 4 different subjects, then you should be able to. (But some schools haven't let students drop any subjects yet but they will let us as soon as our Yr 11 reports come out - that's different).
i know were stuffed up man

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If you want to drop a subject and they won't let you just stop doing work for it.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
yeah, just don't do any work for it. turn up to class if you don't want to get busted for partial truancy, but do other subject work. and don't hand in hw and assignments etc

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
they shudn't be allowed to not let u drop a subject unless if u do u wont have enough units or something.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Schools can set a policy about when they let you change to your Year 12 subjects e.g. at my school in past years students have had to have a one on one interview with the Head of the Senior School and have attached a copy of all their exam results before he would even consider talking to them.

This year he just signed the forms and wrote on them that they couldn't stuff up a subject at all.

We also insist on the parents signing the forms, after that notation has been added so that the parents are fully aware of the consequences.

Most schools would be allowing students to drop subjects now but some will insist on students doing the first Year 12 assessment task in all subjects before making their final decision. This way they can be sure that the student is making a truly informed decision rather than a rushed one to get rid of a subject.

The BOS allows schools to set policies like this knowing that the schools know their students better than the BOS does e.g. schools know the type of students they have and the way they work etc.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
sorry havent read other posts so someone's probly said this already.
yeah it depends what sort of a public school u go to. if u go a bog standard public school (like mine) they dont care what u do. but i know that at another public school in town that's a little bit selective they wont let you drop any units. but it sounds like your school hasnt made up its mind yet. what did they do for last year's year 12?
i think its really unfair to make a student do 12 units if they dont want to.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
cem said:
Schools can set a policy about when they let you change to your Year 12 subjects e.g. at my school in past years students have had to have a one on one interview with the Head of the Senior School and have attached a copy of all their exam results before he would even consider talking to them.
Is that still Mr Lidgard (sp?)?

chltmddus112

HSC
Our school doesn allow boys to do 10 units until mini exam. So i am doing 14 units =0

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I think it is ridiculous that a school is stopping students dropping subjects.
It is the students HSC and their UAI, not the teachers or principals.

If I were you I would see if I could talk personally with the vice principal and explain your situation.

kaitm

HSC
My school told us "we don't want too many of you on study periods your too hard to look after"

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
chltmddus112 said:
Our school doesn allow boys to do 10 units until mini exam. So i am doing 14 units =0
what? 14 units? That's a huge amount of work...I am doing 13.

sannous1

HSC
Sarah182 said:
I think it is ridiculous that a school is stopping students dropping subjects.
It is the students HSC and their UAI, not the teachers or principals.

If I were you I would see if I could talk personally with the vice principal and explain your situation.
yeh my father has spokn to the vice, and she said they'll talk 2 me about it and its been 2 days now, its kinda pissing me off

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Is that still Mr Lidgard (sp?)?
''

No - Mr Lidgard has been the Principal since 1994 and Mr Rowling has been Head of Senior School since then.

janetO

HSC
Isn't it only because technically you're still in year 11.
I was able to drop down a subject cause I have 11 units now

hairspray

HSC
My school is like trying influence us to keep our 12 units... but i know that
90%+ of the people in my grade are gonna do only 10units. I predict that our Deputy Principal is going to come into a year meeting and scream at all of us.

And when are you guys allowed to drop your subjects? At our school we have to wait till week 5 until we can drop subject/s. SUCH A WASTE OF TIME!

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
hairspray said:
My school is like trying influence us to keep our 12 units... but i know that
90%+ of the people in my grade are gonna do only 10units. I predict that our Deputy Principal is going to come into a year meeting and scream at all of us.

And when are you guys allowed to drop your subjects? At our school we have to wait till week 5 until we can drop subject/s. SUCH A WASTE OF TIME!
i dont get why its such a crime to only do 10 units. i can understand your teacher getting up u for dropping their subject but not the deputy or whatever. dropping 2 units was the best thing i ever did in year 12

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
nick3157 said:
i dont get why its such a crime to only do 10 units. i can understand your teacher getting up u for dropping their subject but not the deputy or whatever. dropping 2 units was the best thing i ever did in year 12
The reason why many schools advise against doing 10 units is that statistically students who do 10 units don't do as well as students of the same ability who do 11 or 12.

Of course there are exceptions, such as yourself.

The schools, of course, do know the students best and can then advise them properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)