school rank (1 Viewer)

dumarab

HSC
do school ranks matter THAT much and is it too late to switch schools?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: school rank

only matters if you're going average in a crap school.

if you're at the top end of your ranks, school doesn't matter.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Re: 回复: school rank

in 2007 my school was ranked 464th.
our dux got a 95.something UAI and is doing medicine.
the year before was a 93
this year Im expecting at least a 90 and a 96+ from my friend laura.

so, point im making?
no. not really.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC

tommykins said:
only matters if you're going average in a crap school.

if you're at the top end of your ranks, school doesn't matter.
What if you're average in a top 50 school?

-Anfernee-

HSC

sonyaleeisapixi said:
in 2007 my school was ranked 464th.
our dux got a 95.something UAI and is doing medicine.
the year before was a 93
this year Im expecting at least a 90 and a 96+ from my friend laura.

so, point im making?
no. not really.

I'm not trying to pass judgement here but damn 464th!!!!...with all due respect.

Is this a school in the West?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

Nope, I got to Coffs Harbour High School, its on the mid north coast.

its the best school ive ever been to. Ive been to schools ranked higher - moved alot when my parts seperated - and none of them have been half as good. its clean, its friendly, the teachers rock, the students kick ass, and though the facilities are old, i love it, wouldnt swap it for anything.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

sonyaleeisapixi said:
Nope, I got to Coffs Harbour High School, its on the mid north coast.

its the best school ive ever been to. Ive been to schools ranked higher - moved alot when my parts seperated - and none of them have been half as good. its clean, its friendly, the teachers rock, the students kick ass, and though the facilities are old, i love it, wouldnt swap it for anything.
Somebody seems to share a same mindset with me. :D

-Anfernee-

HSC
Sonya,

Oh yes, sometimes I forget that intelligent life exists outside the Sydney metro area.
But since your top students seem to do well in the HSC traditionally. I guess it should work out ok.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

=D
my school has some really interesting history too.
it was used as a naval look out during ww2.
my history room also held a japanese man suspected of being a spy for something like 4 weeks towards the end of the war. hed been making notes in a travel diary and they were OMG THE JAPZ R HURRR! so they locked him in my school.
its also a school with ocean views from every classroom window. prime piece of real estate.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: school rank

IMABOYDAMON! said:
What if you're average in a top 50 school?

Too many factors determining it though, I can only make broad generalisations.

Average in top 50 school should be a 80+ ?

I'm not sure though, as I don't think they make the ranks based on median/average UAi, but the % of band 6's corresponding to the amount of exams sat.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
-Anfernee- said:
Sonya,

Oh yes, sometimes I forget that intelligent life exists outside the Sydney metro area.
But since your top students seem to do well in the HSC traditionally. I guess it should work out ok.
haha, its ok.
my friend grew up in parramatta, and probably would have ended up in JR if she hadnt moved. all her friends did, or other top 10 schools.
ive never been interested in the private or selective school system. when i moved i had the option of them, but i knew we couldnt afford it and mum was trying to make up for the mess my family was in. i couldnt deal with that guilt, haha.

but im glad i am where i am. its amazing.
well, im ranked first in every subject but maths, so, i should be fine.

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
ive never been interested in the private or selective school system. when i moved i had the option of them, but i knew we couldnt afford it and mum was trying to make up for the mess my family was in. i couldnt deal with that guilt, haha.
Just for the record, selective schools are still public schools and the school fees are much the same.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
veloc1ty said:
Just for the record, selective schools are still public schools and the school fees are much the same.
i know, i was reffering the private sector in terms money. probably should have clarified.
but yeah. no appeal to me. my grandmothers still convinced theres time to send me to a good catholic school though. -.-

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I'm ranked 4th in year 11 at St Andrews. Bad luck that numbers 1 and 2 are both good friends of mine :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
dumarab said:
do school ranks matter THAT much and is it too late to switch schools?
Since you're doing your HSC this year, I strongly assume that it is too late to switch schools, unless you want to repeat the year.

dumarab

HSC
I'll just do my best, if worste comes to worst
I'll just go to Western Sydney or someshit

eliseliselise

HSC
i've personally been losing alot of sleep over my school lately [yes, i know it's "only" year 11.. but still!! ;) ] i currently go to a moderately dodgey private school [scholarship], its ranked circa 150th & our dux last year was 98.35 :S we have had a few 99.95s in the past though.. reassuringly enough... i got accepted into the closest selective school [ranked 19th] in year 7 and 11, i was definitely going 2 move there in y11 but i couldnt get there due to the 2 hour drive there and the large amount of early morning/late afternoon extension classes...
anyway, what i'm getting at is that it seems just so cruel for areas such as sydney to be so abundant in high-ranking/selective schools, whereas students who live in areas don't really have much of a choice than to attend a lower ranking school, and subsequently be denied of attending a selective school where the actual student may be on par, or above the general cohort of these prestigious and well-government funded sydney selective schools.. :(
i think the rural point system has been placed appropriately.. i just hope i dont need to rely on that though. nevertheless, at the end of the day i guess it comes down to the student rather than the school- but, inevitably the school is going to have an impact in one way or another.

:burn:

bored of sc

HSC
eliseliselise said:
i've personally been losing alot of sleep over my school lately
Is that why you are still up on BOS at 12:30 in the morning? I can't talk, since I am as well.

tahlsy31191

HSC
My school is ranked 296th and the dux from the past years have been;
2007 - 97
2006 - 99.20
2005 - 99.10

So it is not that bad.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
My school is ranked 101 and we had duxes getting:

99.9, 99.95, 99.35 and 99.65 in the past 4 years. About 30% of the Year 12 students manage to get 90 UAI. So that's pretty good.

My school is not the most academic school out there but we always had few people getting top in the state (if not the top 20 in the state) every year.

2004 Dux came first in Physics and Mathematics in the state and he got 99.9 UAI despite doing English (Standard). 2005 Dux got 99.95 (he is actually a BoSer here) with first in the state for Business Studies. And in the last few years we had some Asian students getting 99+ UAI despite the fact that they didn't make Duxes. The most awesome thing about that is that they all got 99+ UAI with poor mark in English (Standard)! OMG, I love my school.

We have about 2-4 people getting 99+ UAI. But next year, I predict it to be about 5-6 since my year is the most academic year that our school has ever seen. (apparently)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)