School Rankings 2011 (1 Viewer)

J18134

HSC
Not sure how far this thread has drifted but it annoys me so much how they rank schools.

Basically if someone who does 10 units gets one band 6 and the rest of their subjects are band 3, they are ranked as 'more important' to the rankings than a person who does 10 units and gets 89 in all of them.

Idiotic. Should be on average ATAR.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Not sure how far this thread has drifted but it annoys me so much how they rank schools.

Basically if someone who does 10 units gets one band 6 and the rest of their subjects are band 3, they are ranked as 'more important' to the rankings than a person who does 10 units and gets 89 in all of them.

Idiotic. Should be on average ATAR.
But that would require ATARs be public... which is... yeah.

J18134

HSC
Not necessarily. The Board of Studies could release the rankings

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ea1990104/s18a.html

EDUCATION ACT 1990 - SECT 18A

Publication of school results

(3) School results must not be publicly revealed in a way that ranks or otherwise compares the results of particular schools, except as authorised by or under a relevant national agreement.

(4) A person must not, in a newspaper or other document that is publicly available in this State:
(a) publish any ranking or other comparison of particular schools according to school results, except with the permission of the principals of the schools involved, or
(b) identify a school as being in a percentile of less than 90 per cent in relation to school results, except with the permission of the principal of the school.
Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units in the case of an individual and 500 penalty units in any other case.

(5) Nothing in subsection (4) prohibits:
(a) anything authorised to be done by or under a relevant national agreement, or
(b) the publication of the ranking of the schools in the top 10 per cent in relation to the results of Higher School Certificate examinations and related assessments so long as the information used to determine that ranking is information as to the results of students that may be publicly revealed under subsection (6) (c).
That's obviously the wrong information, (not saying I know better) but don't post all these sections of acts if you don't know anything about them and how they work. Why did they release the top 500 schools in 2010? Why have they kept releasing the top 200 schools prior to 2010? What you have posted is from the 1990s.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
That's obviously the wrong information, (not saying I know better) but don't post all these sections of acts if you don't know anything about them and how they work. Why did they release the top 500 schools in 2010? Why have they kept releasing the top 200 schools prior to 2010? What you have posted is from the 1990s.
I am quite familiar with this section and its operation. Section 18A is a recent amendment to the Act passed in 2009 in response to Greens and Teacher's Federation concerns over the publication of league tables. The section is not from 1990.

In an act of protest in 2010 the Sydney Morning Herald published a full ranking list in defiance of the law. (See their editorial from the time: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/editorial/why-we-are-publishing-a-league-table-20100128-n1ly.html )

Our thread from the time is here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=213391

It certainly is a contravention of the law to publish a full league table in print and it remains untested whether the same is true online.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)