School Rankings 2014 (2 Viewers)

bhatman

HSC
Girraween student checking in here.
My grade moved our school up 27 places to rank 15, the highest in the school's history.
#girrarekt

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
I say it every year but this ranking system is so stupid. In essence getting 1 band 6 is viewed as 'better' than getting 89 for everything (ie it needs to take into account more than just the top band). And how is lets say a top band in 4 unit maths comparable to a top band in general maths (i.e. needs weight harder subjects more)? Its a flawed system like much of the HSC is. Still congrats to everyone.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
o wow my school jumped 150ish ranks

descartes

HSC
N/A
baulko drops from 2 to 5, as expected.
I don't know why you say as "as expected".

When looking at the Baulko stats something the data does not tell you.

The 1343 total attempts includes 72 attempts from the students who did Life Skills courses. For those who don't know what LifeSkills courses are, they are for students with learning difficulties, they do not sit a final exam and the results are NOT reported in Bands, thus it is IMPOSSIBLE for these students to gain a Band 6. The attempts should not be included in the data, however every year BOSTES continues to include them in the total attempts.

If you take a fair comparison for Baulko 733 credits from 1271 attempts (those attempts where it is possible to gain a Band 6/E4) = 57.6711% = 3rd

I'm not taking away from the other schools, all should be congratulated on a job well done, especially Girraween ,way to go guys, I just think tha before people starting saying "what happened to Baulko", the full facts should be known. Reality the result is very similar to last year, in fact the number of credits rose, and for the first time gained more credits than Ruse, job well done.

The reason that Baulko got3rd place is not due to any lack of effort from Baulko, rather North Sydney Boys should be congratulated on their improvement, once again, well done.

mreditor16

HSC

The 1343 total attempts includes 72 attempts from the students who did Life Skills courses. For those who don't know what LifeSkills courses are, they are for students with learning difficulties, they do not sit a final exam and the results are NOT reported in Bands, thus it is IMPOSSIBLE for these students to gain a Band 6. The attempts should not be included in the data, however every year BOSTES continues to include them in the total attempts.

If you take a fair comparison for Baulko 733 credits from 1271 attempts (those attempts where it is possible to gain a Band 6/E4) = 57.6711% = 3rd

I'm not taking away from the other schools, all should be congratulated on a job well done, especially Girraween ,way to go guys, I just think tha before people starting saying "what happened to Baulko", the full facts should be known. Reality the result is very similar to last year, in fact the number of credits rose, and for the first time gained more credits than Ruse, job well done.

The reason that Baulko got 3rd place is not due to any lack of effort from Baulko, rather North Sydney Boys should be congratulated on their improvement, once again, well done.
hmm defs makes sense. the students who attempt the LifeSkills courses are students who are studying as part of Baulkham Hills Support Unit. agree with what u say :)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Lol the school I attended went from 287 to 457

They bloody sucked this year. Hahaha

mreditor16

HSC

The reason that Baulko got3rd place is not due to any lack of effort from Baulko, rather North Sydney Boys should be congratulated on their improvement, once again, well done.
Descartes, quick Q. If support unit students are included every year, doesn't it mean this is a factor which reduces our rank every single year? And pretty much every year, our rank is impacted to a similar extent? Doesn't it mean Baulko still dropped 3 ranks, because such students are considered each year?

kimjuliana

HSC
Not sure if I should be happy or not... My school dropped down 20 places to 200 but we got one more all rounder this year..

descartes

HSC
N/A
Descartes, quick Q. If support unit students are included every year, doesn't it mean this is a factor which reduces our rank every single year? And pretty much every year, our rank is impacted to a similar extent? Doesn't it mean Baulko still dropped 3 ranks, because such students are considered each year?
It really depends on a couple of factors;

1. how many support unit students are in the year, its not the same every year.
2. what sort of gap is between the scholls, will it make an effect

e.g. in 2013 Baulko ranked 2nd, if you removed the LifeSkills, they would still be 2nd (i.e. not enough of a jump to overtake 1st), in 2012 when they were also listed as 5th , they should have been 4th.

My source tells me that there is a particular person at BOSTES who is not very happy with the media unit as they have told them about this issue, but they still have not fixed it. Hopefully this year will be the last time it occurs. Mind you that is what was said last year!!!

bhatman

HSC
Congrats from penrith haha, well done.
Cheers man, you guys still did relatively well haha.
Also send my congrats to your dux, 2 state ranks and a couple other pretty close is very impressive :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)