school rankings? (1 Viewer)

tylerjames333

HSC
hey everyone :) just been browsing through the site and i notice alot of "School ranking" kinda jazz, expecially in the whole UAI thing. So im wondering, what does ur school ranking do to your UAI, and how can i find out what my school is ranked??

i hope it doesnt affect it too much, cause i go to a pretty derro school (rutherford technology high school)

any info or advice would be well appreciated.

peace.

shaon0

HSC
tylerjames333 said:
hey everyone :) just been browsing through the site and i notice alot of "School ranking" kinda jazz, expecially in the whole UAI thing. So im wondering, what does ur school ranking do to your UAI, and how can i find out what my school is ranked??

i hope it doesnt affect it too much, cause i go to a pretty derro school (rutherford technology high school)

any info or advice would be well appreciated.

peace.
It doesn't really affect you if you Dux your school in Year 12.
But the higher your school is ranked the more likely you are to get a better UAI since there will be a better environment for academia. Find this out by going on to the Technical Arcana in the General HSC forum.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
You can get your schools 2007 rank here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=162620
Your school was ranked 540 in 2007, but be aware that rankings change year to year, so even if they got a certain rank one year does not mean it will be the same the next.

The rank of your school does not directly affect your UAI, however there is a general trend with ranks and UAIs.

If you top your year (or are near the top) your schools rank does not effect your UAI. However if you are mid-bottom of your cohort in a low ranking school your UAI is likely to be lower than being mid-bottom of a high ranking school.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The rank that your school was last year will have NO bearing on you and your UAI.

The rank that your school is this year, and what will therefore be relevant to you and your UAI, will be determined by you and your cohort.

e.g. a school could have been ranked 200 in 2006, 500 in 2007 and 100 in 2008.

What that says is that the quality of the Year 12 cohort within each year getting Band 6s varied.

In 2006 my school was ranked in the top 200. Last year it dropped to 480ish. We have about half the number of students get Band6s in 2007 than in 2006 from about the same number of students, hence the drop but... overall the number of UAI's over 90 was about the same (1 fewer I believe).

I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't back in the top 200 this year.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Doesnt make a single difference. You can use your school ranking to predict your general UAI, but its not fool proof.
Your school could be dead last and you could receive a 100UAI.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
agirlinatutu said:
Doesnt make a single difference. You can use your school ranking to predict your general UAI, but its not fool proof.
Your school could be dead last and you could receive a 100UAI.
you do know the school environment may have a very big impact on your UAI don't you??

because if you go to a school where the students just want to muck around and not learn anything then it could be really bad (talking about classtime)

because these disruptive students won't let the teacher teach you to their full potential, so sad :(

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: school rankings?

dux&src said:
you do know the school environment may have a very big impact on your UAI don't you??

because if you go to a school where the students just want to muck around and not learn anything then it could be really bad (talking about classtime)

because these disruptive students won't let the teacher teach you to their full potential, so sad :(
but if you are a 100UAI capable student, it should not effect you

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dux&src said:

But top students rarely get affected by where they go. Top students are basically top students throughout. Wherever they go, they will achieve similar UAI throughout.

Top students try learning themselves if they cannot be taught. And to be honest, the extent of knowledge you get from school isn't that much. When you do HSC, 80% must be re-taught by yourself. (or more)

That's why 100 UAIs don't come from just one school. It's usually spread out.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
But top students rarely get affected by where they go. Top students are basically top students throughout. Wherever they go, they will achieve similar UAI throughout.

Top students try learning themselves if they cannot be taught. And to be honest, the extent of knowledge you get from school isn't that much. When you do HSC, 80% must be re-taught by yourself. (or more)

That's why 100 UAIs don't come from just one school. It's usually spread out.
Exactly. A school with a high ranking does not guarantee you a better UAI than someone at a lower ranked school. School only affects you by the level of commitment your peers have, the quality of teaching and your ranking (i.e if you go to a lower ranked school, you have to be ranked Top 5, whereas if you went to a school in Ruse, generally you wouldn't be as concerned as rankings).

As for the 100 UAIs, true - they don't just come from one school, but a hell of a lot comes from James Ruse.

tylerjames333

HSC
Thank you all so much :) all the replies were of fantastic use to me, its good to know as long as i work hard ill go alright no matter what lol. Thanks to everyone who replied.

peace.

blackglitter

HSC
the-derivative said:
Exactly. A school with a high ranking does not guarantee you a better UAI than someone at a lower ranked school. School only affects you by the level of commitment your peers have, the quality of teaching and your ranking (i.e if you go to a lower ranked school, you have to be ranked Top 5, whereas if you went to a school in Ruse, generally you wouldn't be as concerned as rankings).

As for the 100 UAIs, true - they don't just come from one school, but a hell of a lot comes from James Ruse.
Only 2 or 3 from James Ruse I think :p but that could just be wishful thinking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)