School vs Uni (3 Viewers)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Not sure if something like this has already been posted. Anyway, discuss !

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Uni = expensive fees - depending on the course and if you fail - hahaha... don't fail. University starts to weigh you down a lot faster than school life ~ competition, assessments, mid-semester exams, final examinations, balancing work and social life etc.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Uni = expensive fees - depending on the course and if you fail - hahaha... don't fail. University starts to weigh you down a lot faster than school life ~ competition, assessments, mid-semester exams, final examinations, balancing work and social life etc.
Lol, competition is much worse in HSC. There are no ranks in uni so you are less likely to come across people hesitant to help you or hoard resources.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Lol, competition is much worse in HSC. There are no ranks in uni so you are less likely to come across people hesitant to help you or hoard resources.
True... but it depends if the university uses a bell-shape curve when assigning grades and if you wish to graduate with first-class or second-class honours etc...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
True... but it depends if the university uses a bell-shape curve when assigning grades and if you wish to graduate with first-class or second-class honours etc...
Yeah but I think in most cases, Honours year marks are the only thing that determines your Honours mark and class anyway, isn't it? That's how it is for maths, at least. At UNSW.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well i go to UTS and they dont use a bell curve so i havent come across anyone like that.

Yeah but I think in most cases, Honours year marks are the only thing that determines your Honours mark and class anyway, isn't it? That's how it is for maths, at least. At UNSW.
Honours works differently with different degrees and at different unis.

Last edited:

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
^ Some USyd UoS do (the bell-shape curve) ... I should have clarified what I meant by competition; the competition you face getting into graduate medicine or the JD program - there is only so many places and its not just your grades that will get you in.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Uni fees + SSAF + ACCESS together cost around the same as my yearly school fees. :/

The rest I agree with.
School I sort of just slept through and didn't do a lot.
I do the same at uni (probably less) but my marks have PLUMMETED.
You need to actually put in effort at uni; it's terrible.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
There is percentile scaling at USyd, meaning only certain people can get a HD so there actually is a fair bit of competition.
And I think the top 20-30 get their ranks for maths and Chem.

^ Some USyd UoS do (the bell-shape curve) ... I should have clarified what I meant by competition; the competition you face getting into graduate medicine or the JD program - there is only so many places and its not just your grades that will get you in.
All science depratments *used* the bell-curve but they're moving away from it now.
A few faculties don't use it anymore (biochem) and just use a system similar to HSC aligning.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My honours takes into account second, third and fourth year marks (albeit with a higher emphasis on fourth year - 50% iirc). There's also the competition to try and get into honours as well.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
When school holidays start all you want to do is go out.

When uni holidays start all you want to do is sleep.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Surely they're some positives compared to school? Unless its just the case of "the grass is greener on the other side" etc

neontiger

HSC
Surely they're some positives compared to school? Unless its just the case of "the grass is greener on the other side" etc
The main positive for me is the independence. I'm doing a BCom at USYD so I'm only at uni 12-14 hours per week. Spread over three days a week that gives me a lot of time to catch up with friends, go out for lunch and sustain a bit of part time work. If you're not doing a course with a lot of contact hours, the social life at uni is really great.

Also only studying what I enjoy is a big positive. Now that I'm going into second year, I basically have 2-3 years of the subjects I like ahead of me.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I daresay that more interesting course content is a positive as well.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
University

Good things
-Lots of freedom, independence and flexibility

-Way better social life and the diversity of the people you meet is much better

Bad things
-Double the stress and way more workload

-Lecturers and tutors are not as caring as your high school teacher

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)