schools that enforce subjects (1 Viewer)

rawrawr

HSC
i go to a public school that forces you to do agriculture as part of your hsc. is there any way to ossibly get out of this? agricultures my weakest subject the at moment so it would great if i could drop it. does the boardofstudies allow this?

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
you could do pathways thats what im doing

tku336

HSC
Do 12 units and then stop caring about agriculture.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
through pathways you can do more than 13 units and you you can do your hsc up to 5 years

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I never got this, how can a school force you to take a subject? I mean, in the end if the board of studies doesn't require it, you don't have to. What would the school do- expel you (oh sorry, 'ask you to leave')? The whole idea just seems utterly ridiculous.

HSC
through pathways you can do more than 13 units and you you can do your hsc up to 5 years
I understand how pathways works.
But if a school is enforcing a particular subject, how does doing your HSC over more than one year mean that you get out of it (without leaving the school of course).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I never got this, how can a school force you to take a subject? I mean, in the end if the board of studies doesn't require it, you don't have to. What would the school do- expel you (oh sorry, 'ask you to leave')? The whole idea just seems utterly ridiculous.
As specific Dept schools have this requirement as well as non-government school the BOS won't interfere e.g. some of the Agricultural high schools say do Ag to Year 10 but if you enter in Year 11 you have to do Ag for the HSC. As these are Dept schools and entering at Year 11 it would have been clear what the school's policy is the BOS won't support the student.

As long as the criteria was set when the student enrolled the student doesn't have a leg to stand on as they agreed to following the school's policy regarding this sort of thing when they enrolled.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
As specific Dept schools have this requirement as well as non-government school the BOS won't interfere e.g. some of the Agricultural high schools say do Ag to Year 10 but if you enter in Year 11 you have to do Ag for the HSC. As these are Dept schools and entering at Year 11 it would have been clear what the school's policy is the BOS won't support the student.

As long as the criteria was set when the student enrolled the student doesn't have a leg to stand on as they agreed to following the school's policy regarding this sort of thing when they enrolled.
Is the the same for schools that demand 12 units instead of 10?

HSC
To the OP, how many units do you have? If you're going really well in 10 or 11 units worth of your subjects you may as well just do agriculture but not put too much effort into it. However that may be really risky.

You could do that or just move schools. Many catholic schools have 1u Religion as compulsory, so most of those students do the 1st option or just do the subject properly.

HTH but don't think it did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)