Science Advanced Mathematics (1 Viewer)

Phouna

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I'm currently doing extension one maths and I'm deciding whether to drop it because I'm not doing as well as I intended. I'm thinking about becoming a maths teacher but I'm not quite so sure if I have to have extension one maths in order to undertake the course. If I drop extension and continue doing 2 unit maths will it prevent me from taking the course?

Thanks guys ^_^

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you want to be a maths teacher you should at least be able to handle extension one. Tough it out, work hard at it and see how you go, it will make things a lot easier once you get to uni if you've gone through high school taking something which properly tests your lateral thinking.

Further, most of the advanced maths units at uni require a decent 4u result so 3u would be the very minimum to get into the advanced stream.

DJ Uncle

Banned
HSC
UNSW Handbook Program - Advanced Mathematics - 3986
UNSW: The University of New South Wales - Sydney Australia - FUTURE STUDENTS
School of Mathematics and Statistics - Assumed Knowledge

From the UNSW MathsStats website:

MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A assumes knowledge of HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and Extension 2. Students will be expected to have achieved a result in Band E4 in Mathematics Extension 2.
So I wouldn't be able to transfer easily into Advanced Mathematics because I only did 3 unit.
(Not to mention I only did MATH1131 and MATH1231 as first year maths courses)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I'm currently doing extension one maths and I'm deciding whether to drop it because I'm not doing as well as I intended. I'm thinking about becoming a maths teacher but I'm not quite so sure if I have to have extension one maths in order to undertake the course. If I drop extension and continue doing 2 unit maths will it prevent me from taking the course?

Thanks guys ^_^
I finished the BSc/BEd in mathematics 18 months ago. I would say about half of the students studying to do maths teaching had done MX2 and the other half had done MX1. I only knew one student who had only done 2 unit and it seems he struggled quite a bit (he was still accepted into the course, though.)

The vast majority of maths ed students take the ordinary stream of mathematics, so you don't have to worry if you can't take 1141/1241 in first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)