Science as opposed to Engineering (1 Viewer)

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
I like both of these degrees, but I'm really stuck on which one to actually do. I am not asking anyone to choose my subjects for me in this thread, I just want some general (or specific, if you are generous) information that may persuade me one way or another... push me off the fence. Things like learning curve, general personality of students (general because, well, this obviously always changes) and lecturers, first hand accounts, having a life factor etc, as well as anything else, would be very much appreciated.

I plan on majoring in Physics if I do Science, and I'll probably go for advanced. I enjoy doing the calculations and figuring out patterns via applying knowledge to real life (or even fictitious) situations.

I plan on doing Materials if I go for Engineering, but I don't have a good background in Chemistry (no HSC experience, I am aware of the bridging courses, but may not be able to afford them because I'm too povo) or Engineering Studies. I was really into experiments in HSC Physics classes, so I thought this also may be a good option.

In addition to both points, I have no HSC Mathematics Extension 2 knowledge. I am aware that Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 (respectively) are assumed for the courses, but perhaps a knowledge of it would help more in one than the other?

I have looked at the online handbook, but I just can't compare them. Each has their own interesting strategies, where Materials is a little more specific.

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:

Ostentatious

HSC
I could easily do Law, but I don't know if I'm THAT into it V_V

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Well, i think getting a decent income after uni is fairly important. you dont wana do a fun degree, then spend decades in a field with shit pay. Law pays well, but you need so many years of study. taking income into account, engo is prob. a good idea. most science leads to research, which doesnt really pay that great.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
fuck having no chemistry knowledge man, they'll teach you it there anyway. just learn the {few} things you need to know during these holidays.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Well, i think getting a decent income after uni is fairly important. you dont wana do a fun degree, then spend decades in a field with shit pay. Law pays well, but you need so many years of study. taking income into account, engo is prob. a good idea. most science leads to research, which doesnt really pay that great.
hahahahaha so clueless.

do what you enjoy OP, cannot stress that enough

Ostentatious

HSC
fuck having no chemistry knowledge man, they'll teach you it there anyway. just learn the {few} things you need to know during these holidays.
What are the few things? I've been blasting through CC here, only got up to metals!

hahahahaha so clueless.

do what you enjoy OP, cannot stress that enough
That's something I've always done and will continue to do, I'm just a bit stumped on whether I'd like engineering when I've only done watered down physics :spin:

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Wouldn't that be a lot of work considering I want a major in Physics for science, or would it overlap...?
Depends what time of engineering.
If you were doing mechanical or civil, there would be alot of physics and im assuming a fair bit overlap.
Although chem engineering would have less physics then civil and mech.
Have a look at the hand books or email the faculty

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Wouldn't that be a lot of work considering I want a major in Physics for science, or would it overlap...?
Some of your units will overlap but you can always ask your program co-ordinator to help set it out for you

Ostentatious

HSC
Thanks for the feedback. I'm iffy about the double degree, but that's certainly something to consider if I can't make up my mind!

Ostentatious

HSC
Baha, just got accepted for Industry and School scholarship for Engineering, it's like a sign xD

LordPc

HSC
would probably overlap a bit. but if you decided you didnt like eng, you can always drop. same for science

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
high school physics is VERY different to uni physics.

i did engineering studies for my hsc, and each core topic was divided into materials and mechanics, both of which are studied in an engineering degree, but engineering studies is not assumed knowledge, so it's not required. There might not be as much focus on mechanics if you wanna do materials engineering, you'll probably only do it in first year.
Here is the degree plan for materials engineering: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2010/3135.html

The chem you do in first year is very basic.
Maths ext1 is assumed knowledge for engineering, i only did maths advanced for my hsc, so i did a bridging course. Maths ext2 knowledge is even better, but not required.

Materials engineering and science majoring in physics are very different and both involve different types of calculations.
Materials would be similar to chem, you'd have to know about different elements and metals and ceramics and polymers (they'd teach you all that stuff, so dont worry), then you'd get into metallic macrostructures and phase equilibria and phase diagrams etc.
Science, majoring in physics, would involve calculations using Newtons laws, and there would be many mechanics based questions, and i guess it depends on what stream you go into (i dont know much about sci(physics) but you'd do subjects like quantum physics, thermal physics, electromagnetism, solid state, etc, see here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2010/PHYSB13972.html ).

Maybe think of doing a double degree, then after your first (or second) year you can drop one of em if you're not enjoying it, or you can keep both of em, but you only really start getting into your degree from 2nd or 3rd year onwards, which imo is kinda late to decide whether you wanna continue or not, since you've already done half of the degree...

Last edited:

Ostentatious

HSC
Omie Jay, if it weren't for the fact that this is an internet forum and it would be incredibly gay, I would totally hug you right now.

You've really clarified some things for me and helped me realise that I made the right decision in choosing Materials Science :D

Thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)