Science degree without HSC Science? (1 Viewer)

ptrgrgry

HSC
I'm thinking of doing a university course in science. The only problem is that I have done no science whatsoever for the HSC (well I have done mathematics). Do you think I'd be able to take a science course at university? Would I be extremely disadvantaged?

I mean Arts courses have no prerequisite subjects. Is a bridging course sufficient to bring me up to par with my fellow aspiring scientists?

At USYD there are no prerequsites, only 'assumed knowledge', so I know I'm technichally allowed to but would I struggle if I'd only done a bridging course? How much content is covered in HSC subjects? I mean the HSC is only what - 1.75 years, and only a fraction of that would be dedicated to science anyway.

Any advise?

ptrgrgry

HSC
you will struggle imo
Would anybody beg to differ?

What if I try really hard? I don't know if I come off as a dumb student, but I do attain high grades in other subjects. I did get 90 in science for my school certificate. (I know that's intensely irrelevent to university but nontheless.)

Tim035

HSC
You'll find chemistry VERY full on, biology is typically taught at a speed & level that someone with no prior knowledge can cope with, don't even consider doing physics though.

ptrgrgry

HSC
I've always liked chemistry most. But you do think it is do-able right?

AppleNader

HSC
You really should have kept your options open instead of doing no science at all for your HSC. If you're keen, go ahead and give it a go, but
you can't expect to be on the same level as a lot of your uni classmates and you will most likely find it hard to keep up with while they won't really be fazed..

What level of maths did you do? if you didn't do Ext1 or higher then you'll also be struggling with the first year maths courses..

You might also want to combine science with another field of study, just to soften the blow of bad marks tha you're likely to get...sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, just being real here.

So just give it a go, by the end of first semester( after you get your results back), you'll be able to tell if you're gonna continue with it or not.

Tim035

HSC
What level of maths did you do? if you didn't do Ext1 or higher then you'll also be struggling with the first year maths courses..
Don't agree with this, I only did 2 unit and achieved a distinction for the math course I did and high distinction in statistics.

AppleNader

HSC
Don't agree with this, I only did 2 unit and achieved a distinction for the math course I did and high distinction in statistics.

c'mon now, you'd be the exception, most ppl who only did 2 unit maths would struggle with first year maths at uni.

it's great how you try to prove a point by showing a rare example and attempt to pass it off as the norm.. go check yourself.

ptrgrgry

HSC
Yes, his story is only anecdotal evidence and I'm sure he is exceptional for a 2U student.

But I believe it to be incorrect to categorise myself with other 2U students. I am near top of my Mathematics cohort (ahead of extension students).

MOST 2U students would struggle, but then again I am not most like other 2U students as I achieve much higher than them. Me choosing 2U was a huge mistake in the first place!

My point is that just because most 2U students wouldn't achieve greatly doesn't mean that I won't.

AppleNader

HSC
It seems that you weren't smart enough to do HSC science though!

Ok then stop taking and prove it, post back here some time next year and we'll see if you have lived up to your lofty claims.

I'm betting against you though..

Last edited:

jaimebien

HSC
We don't know that. Maybe ptrgrgry made a bad choice during HSC subject selections or just didn't know which direction to take. Anyway, ptrgrgry, you should probably post this question at a more specific forum (like this: Science/Engineering - Bored of Studies). Also, just think of some unis you'd like to go to, go on their website and send an email to the faculties. University staff are usually quite prompt with their replies, in my experience anyway. That would be a good place to start.

HSC
I've got friends doing Sport Science at uni without having done sciences after Year 10.

Having done two science units last semester, they both struggled, in Bio one passed a supp while the other failed the exam so badly that she couldn't be offered one. Physics was an absolute disaster for both of them. Both did the equivalent of general maths so I don't know how they'll cope with stats this semester. They both did very well in PDHPE in Year 12, yet this is of little help now.

I'm not saying that the OP will be in the same position, just that others before you have struggled.

There are introductory units in Physics and Chemistry offered through OUA, these could be studied in SP4 after HSC has finished. They cater for people who haven't done science past Year 10. I'm not sure I would do it, but the option is there.

https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/...iH6UfpR-aWJoXmZJc75Kan6kcHOnoZm-gXZiZEAUqLLvQ!!

https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/...iH6UfpR-aWJoXmZJc75Kan6kcHOnoYW-gXZiZEAIsPBhw!!

ptrgrgry

HSC

Ok then stop taking and prove it, post back here some time next year and we'll see if you have lived up to your lofty claims.

I'm betting against you though..
Um... thanks for that.
It's not that I wasn't smart enought to do sicence (in fact I'm thinking I might get dux of yr 11). I just had no guidance from anyone and had no idea what I wanted from life.

I originally planned on doing law. Now, I believe that doing so could not be more unfulfilling.

Is it at all possible to pick up a science e.g. chemistry. in term 3 of preliminary and use it as an HSC subject? What are the BOS rules regarding this?

Would it be easier to repreat yr 11. (doing 3u math, chem, bio, physics)
OR hang on to the subjects I've got, maybe take a year off to learn what I would have in science,
OR Take bridging courses before I go to uni?

jaimebien

HSC
Is it at all possible to pick up a science e.g. chemistry. in term 3 of preliminary and use it as an HSC subject? What are the BOS rules regarding this?

Would it be easier to repreat yr 11. (doing 3u math, chem, bio, physics)
OR hang on to the subjects I've got, maybe take a year off to learn what I would have in science,
OR Take bridging courses before I go to uni?
Well, it might not be too late to pick up a science, but if you want to do so, you'd better speak to someone at the school quick. You'll have a lot of catching up to do, and you may have to prove that you can handle this late change.

As for repeating, don't do that to yourself. You don't sound like you're getting bad grades, so don't waste a year of your youth. If you can't pick up a science subject, then the bridging course at uni is your best option. At least you're getting a foot into the door.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
I'm doing Medical Science with no back up science since year 10.

It depend if you can handle it and willing to put some hard work in it. Currently im doing really well in chem but most of the math base science is zzzzzzzzz but yeah just put alot of effort in and you will suceed : ).

A person who was born for business lol

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
This is for the usyd science degree:

You should have at least general or 2 unit maths under your belt. All science degree students at usyd have to do 1st year maths at least (and some faculties will even have 1 semester of 2nd year maths as a degree pre-req as well). Usyd has 3 streams for first year maths to cater for the level of high school maths you did. Life science maths is targeted towards general and 2 unit high school students. Standard level is targeted at 3 unit/ext 1 students and advanced is for 4 unit/ext 2 students.

Mind you i did only 2 unit maths and did the standard level courses. It was a bit of hard work but hey i survived with 2 credits and 2 passes (marks all over 60 though).

As for science majors it really depends on what you major in. IMO (having done 1st year courses for both subjects), university level physics is more like hsc ext 1 maths, and university level chemistry is more like hsc level physics.

Some majors you can definitely get by without any previous knowledge. I didn't know anything about software development or programming (hell, i didn't even know what unix was or the difference between java and javascript before i started), but my highest marks in first year were in my software subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)