science major (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
hi guys,
just wondering what your thoughts are on this. what is generally the most popular science major? and, if you don't know exactly where you wanna end up what would be the most useful major/s to undertake? you know to give scope as opposed to being fixated on one discipline. thanx.

tennille

HSC
I know psychology is quite popular. The best thing for you to do is start a poll in the General science/medicine subforum, so that all students who are doing a science major can vote.

A

adamsaclown

If its a B. Science degree, then I think Psychology + Chemistry would be a good combo to keep your options open?

tennille

HSC
You can do maths, chemistry, biology and psychology in first semester, and maths, chemistry, molecular biology and psychology in second semester. This will allow you to major in chemistry, statistics, maths, biochemistry, psychology and physiology.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm a bit clueless on what I wanna make into a career also, so I chose mathematics as a major. The critical & logical thinking paradigms developed by this major should be useful for a wide range of fields, in my opinion.

I also know I'd rather head to a white-collar career of some sort, most probably regarding financial/economic/IT, so I chose Computer Science as the second major. I heard that Psychology + Computer Science is also a good combo for the generalist B.Sc.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
maths major u can branch into applied maths, which u can tap into engineering, modelling...

statistics, which allow u do do statisticaly related career

and financial maths which aid on finance side of the career

Jase

HSC
well if you're doing science in first year there really isn't much choice.

maths chem physics bio psych.

if you're heading towards med related then do mblg in second sem
human bio is a nice intro to physiology

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@templar: lol NERD!!!!

@james: u can always do more maths!!!!

gogogadgetbrain

HSC
hey, yeah ive got a similar problem

im currently enrolled in advanced science. im pretty sure i want to go on an do grad med at usyd but am not 100% sure, so i chose to take advanced physics in case i want to transfer to eng by the end of the year. however if i indeed do decide im definatly up for the long road to MBBS then this wouldn't be near as usefull as a background or major in psychology....

I'm also studying
BIO, CHEM, MATH (normal), MBLG (2nd Sem)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Grad med is taught from grassroot level. You can be an arts student for all they care and you'll still be taught everything. There's not that much advantage to learn psych for med anyway.

When pure exists, applied is not an option.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
do maths and if possible phys. the rest is no good:D

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
KeypadSDM said:
Double Major - Applied Maths, Phyiscs.

Sweetest possible majors.
uh huh, sweet indeed...but if you had a to choose one of these, which one would you pick?

SeDaTeD

HSC
Maths + Financial Maths and statistics combo probably.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Every pure maths unit in the university (9 subjects, so a double major + 1), and then a heap of software stuff which is counted as part of my engineering degree.

nit

HSC
Probably pharmacology/biochem or pharmacology/chem...ideally a supercourse consisting of pharmacology/synthetic organic chem/analytical organic chem and biochem all in 1...that would be highly useful....

'sif do maths lol

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Pure and one of pharmacology/chem/applied/biochem (currently that looks like the order).

Collin

HSC
N/A
Refined to Maths and Computer Science. Considering adding on BE(Computer Engineering on aswell).. although I only came up with that thought yesterday. :eek:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Transfer before next year and we can be first year introductory course buddies :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)