SCLG 1002 - Questions thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I like 1002 better than 1001 so far. Its more focused, instead of trying to cram a million concepts/topics into one semester.
What exactly is the essay question asking though? I'm not sure about the culture part.

HSC
all the sclg peeps are back ;)

I went to the library last week to try and get some celebrity books, but they've all been borrowed - and most of them have 3 or 4 people waiting for them. So it looks like Im going to have to do the assessment in the library so I can get to scummy Fisher Reserve.

I hate it how they made the major essay due so early in the semester :(

helmut

HSC
manifestation said:
How many areas of celebrity is everyone focusing on? Is two enough?
when you say 'area's' do you mean 'types' [star hero quasar] or things like the 'framework' [para-social, capitalism, consumerism....blah blah *insterts sociologically made up words*]

okay, so i just kinda seriously started my attempt on the essay today and have been swamped with random info surrounding the history/structure of the celebrity... but do we actually need to write about this to answer the question? and if not, how can we use academic figures to support the cause and effect of celebrities, when material like this comes from sponsers/managers/the celebrities themselves... do we quote people like this?

local libraries are shit and uni is so far away :(

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Ummm I mean like...consumerism...consumption...identity. Like I wanna focus on celebrity as a sign --> Identity. (I hope that sounds right)

Ummm as above ^ I think with the historical background you could maybe just do a brief build up...like what the celebrity was and what is has to to be in today's contemp/cultural society.

Look @ the readings on the lib site and also the module they have alot of useful things to quote. I don't think quoting from sponsers/managers/the celebrities themselves is what she wants...I could be wrong. But what you could do is use them as an exmaple of the argument your constructing.

helmut

HSC
do they have acutal reading on the librayr site [such as they did when they spoon feed us sclg 1001] or do we, goodness forbid, have to just do random subject searches and hope we find something that suits?

the module...? how do you quote the module?
anyway, thanks for leaning me in the right direction. i think this is going ot be one of those "a pass is just going to have to do" sorta essays :(

HSC
helmut said:
do they have acutal reading on the librayr site [such as they did when they spoon feed us sclg 1001] or do we, goodness forbid, have to just do random subject searches and hope we find something that suits?

If you go to the mystudy section on myuni, and click on the SCLG1002 link, a lilst of resources will come up - and many chapters on celebrity have been put on line to use. v.v. useful.

helmut

HSC
Silver Persian said:
If you go to the mystudy section on myuni, and click on the SCLG1002 link, a lilst of resources will come up - and many chapters on celebrity have been put on line to use. v.v. useful.
thanks! not that many of the books were even there :S
this is seriously the WIERDEST essay i've ever written. i think i might even be enjoying writing it...

vegemite

HSC
does the fact that the question is asking what is THE cultural function of celebrity rather than what ARE the cultural functions of celebrity mean we are supposed to focus on one aspect only? :(

HSC
N/A
I personally think its better to narrow the focus of your essay to one or a few functions, considering we only get 1200 words to play with.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i wish i was doing first year sclg, this one is gay, SCLG 2613 - socio of childhood and youth.. we have to write 2000 words on the worst and most boring questions ever. Oh well at least theres no exam :D

HSC
Tchh...I dont have anything on on Monday so Im going to have to go in just to hand in the essay :(

Ive written 700 words - and Ive just been reading it back. It totally has no structure/point - just random crap crapped together

Hate sociologay :angry:

HSC
N/A
Silver Persian said:
Tchh...I dont have anything on on Monday so Im going to have to go in just to hand in the essay :(

Ive written 700 words - and Ive just been reading it back. It totally has no structure/point - just random crap crapped together

Hate sociologay :angry:
same position as you. Plus I have a mid-semester exam on monday morning! And I'm going out tonight. Sociology doesn't deserve my saturday night.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Okay ppl I'm stuck!!!

Are you defining what 'celebrity' is? If yes...what do I define it as? I'm doing celeb in terms of identity.

I'm so struggling with this essay...it's all repetition

HSC
N/A
I have no idea if I'm on the right track. I haven't defined celebrity, the question didn't ask us that. I'm focusing on identity and celebrity as a commodity. :s.

HSC
GRR this essay is getting me so aggro...Ive gotten to 1200 words, and Ive read it back and I haven't actually made any points - its just pure ramble - but I dont know what to cut

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUYCKFCK

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
point:

- Finding one's identity is increasing in importance to some people because globalisation has apparantly created a global society with high levels of uniformity.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
this is so stupid ive only written 900 words i can't think of anything else to blabber on about.

on that note is there a difference between cultural and social functions? maybe i could include some social function stuff ....hmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)