• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Screen ... shimmering ... :( Help! (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Hay guys,

Today opened up my brother's desktop chucked in 2 new strips of RAM as well as replacing an old Raedon 9000 with a newer Raedon 9800 pro....

I turn on, installdc new software/drivers (I actually forgot to uninstall the old drivers for the older graphic card ... ) and everything seemed right. Cool. Games they used to struggle werent.

However, if you looks closely at the screen, and sometimes not even then, you can see the screen sort of .... shimmering. Im not sure how to describe it, but there are millions of very small, but definately noticable, ripples moving down the screen.

Does anyone know what this is due to, and how to get rid of it?

Thanks for any help,
Ac

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
How old is the monitor? Is it CRT or LCD? My old CRT does this. Does it happen with the old graphics card?

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
couple yrs old but LCD. Didnt do it before ... what should the refresh rate be? It is at 60 right now ... tried the other options but no change when back to 60 (where my bro likes it).

Ac

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Shimmering?

Are you sure you installed the right drivers?

I dont think you have to uninstall the old drivers... but then again I'm not sure.

If you take a screen shot using PRINT SCRN, can you see it and post it up?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
bscienceboi said:
If you take a screen shot using PRINT SCRN, can you see it and post it up?
This method will also determine wether the problem is with the graphics card and its display conflict in drivers or the monitor because if it is the monitor a print screen will mean we shall not be able to see anything.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lord Ac said:
couple yrs old but LCD. Didnt do it before ... what should the refresh rate be? It is at 60 right now ... tried the other options but no change when back to 60 (where my bro likes it).

Ac
60 is where an LCD should be at.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Hay guys ... I tried taking a screen shot and then viewing it on my laptop ... cant see anything ... (you can see it if you look at the shot on the shimmering computer)

Does this mean its the monitor? (is it possible it was happening before, but this new graphics card is making it more obvious?)

Is there a way to fix this up without buying a new one? I went through all the options on the monitor and used "auto adjust" ...

Cheers,
Ac

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
That may confirm that it is a monitor problem although it still does seem something to do with refresh rates have you tried all refresh rates? Does that fix the problem?

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
yup, tried em all.

Some do better than the others. But the shimmering is definately still present, esp. when looking for it.

Ac

gman03

HSC
Have you changed your resolution with your new card? Does the ripple still there if your changed back to a lower resolution / colour depth. It could be your monitor cable ....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are you talking about tiny white spaces when playing games or viewing objects?

Kinda like graphical particles here and there?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Okay.

From what I heard. Higher refresh rates are better for your eyes and you should set them to the highest settings that your monitor is capable of. ???

Google ATI 9800 Pro Drivers and download the latest drivers.

You said you installed the new drivers, but it will be wise to download the updates as you'll probably see some improvement in performance.

Other than that I'm not sure what the problem is.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Lord Ac said:
Ac
Its the drivers. Before I installed my drivers properly, my screen shimmered heaps on my LCD and when I scrolled it was even worse.

60 seems to be okay, maybe your LCD is going? Um did u plug it in right? Lol I dunno then.

Keep your LCD brightness low and try and not have a white background. Choose dark colours to keep ure lcd working nice.

Yep thats all I have to say.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Thanks guys, will try the drivers and stuff tomrrow.

My brother says he is pretty much used to it now and it doesnt bother him, so I am not gonna bust a gut trying to fix it, lol

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)