Script Writers! (1 Viewer)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
to provide depth to your research yes. and be weary of US Standard -- this doesn't conform with Australian Standard

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Really? How is it different? Is there any information online about Aus standard?

EDIT: I've been looking around, and I can't find anything on an Aus standard - all I can find is US standard, and an international standard, which seems to be exactly the same...

Last edited:

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Wow, ghost city in here...
Has everybody finished? How long are your scripts (in Times New Roman and double spaced)? I'm pretty well done, and it's 36 pages. Now I'm just screwed for my journal, which sucks. With all my drafts and research it's around 200 pages, but it's still shit... Anyway, anyone feel game to post their script?

kas

HSC
Hey, guys!

I just discovered this forum! My friend told me about it!

So, what's everyone else doing? It's really great to talk to some other people about 4u! ;)
I'm doing a play on truth vs. reality and vice versa.

Hope to get a reply,

Kas :D

Barnation

Little Emo Bitch
HSC
Hey guys, I just finished Year 11 today actually... Next term I start Year 12, along with everyone else :eek: Anyways, I've chosen to do the Extension 2 english course... So what does it entail? Is there a research aspect of it? I need some more information about it. I'm writing a movie script.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Yep, you have to reasearch whatever it is you've chosen to write about, as well as the conventions and stuff of the script text-type. My advice? Do any factual research you need to do, read a bunch of scripts (then throw them out - DO NOT copy their format), watch a bunch of films and look out for things like transitions, sub-plots, characterisation, dialogue etc. (also read, if you can, the scripts to some of the better films you watch to give yourself a better idea of how the script transfers to the screen - if you can't find scripts, there's a huge number of em online at www.script-o-rama.com), research the conventions of short film as opposed to feature film, and, very importantly, research proper film script formatting. You'll find a number of different schools of thought on the matter, so just pick one that feels right for you, and it's probably best to try to find an Australian format to use (I'm not sure if this is 100% necessary). I'd recommend finding some script-writing software to write your script, so you don't have to fiddle around with margins and stuff. I used Final Draft, which I got off Kazaa, and I reckon it worked pretty well.

Good luck for next year

Barnation

Little Emo Bitch
HSC
Thanks alot! That really helps. I'm downloading Final Draft now, can't wait to test it out. You said watch alot of movies... sounds good to me :)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Suggested Script Layout

more advice for barnation:

be weary of the film scripts you get for feature films, because they are very very long. keep in mind that you are writing a SHORT film here -- stuff like tropfest is great to look at, although your script won't be THAT short, but its good to see how they develop their plot/thematic material in a short space of time.

I did more research into script conventions and from what i understand there isn't really an australian standard as such. However, attached is a PDF of a recommended script layout from the Australian Film, Television and Radio School.

I hope it helps. Please don't hesitate to post here or PM me for more help.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
im thinking of doing maybe a radio drama.. has anyone here done or know of someone who has done one? its either that or a script of some sort i think..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)