SDD Major Project Ideas (1 Viewer)

J0n

N/A
HSC
Heh, i used excel, but you could always take screenshot (or a few if it doesn't fit).

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
meh well im nearing the end of the completion of my program , it was quite easy to code most of it is repetetive stuff... im worried they mark me down cause of that , but the code is not extermely simple , lot of case statements few IF statements and i only used like 3 variables LoL

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Seraph
meh well im nearing the end of the completion of my program , it was quite easy to code most of it is repetetive stuff... im worried they mark me down cause of that , but the code is not extermely simple , lot of case statements few IF statements and i only used like 3 variables LoL
Depends if your teacher is one of those pedantic people and go through your code to see if it's grossly repetitive, and that poor indentation, etc.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Pedantic? Sensible in my opinion. :S

... I don't want to see _another_ coder writing an inefficient, difficult to maintain program that would make life hell for others if it were to be used in the real world. :mad1:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
Pedantic? Sensible in my opinion. :S

... I don't want to see _another_ coder writing an inefficient, difficult to maintain program that would make life hell for others if it were to be used in the real world. :mad1:
Yupp i know what you mean, but this is in terms of high school lol... first of all 1/2 the teachers aren't proficient in coding themselves, and it would talk and awful amount of time to mark everyone. So i pressume they'll focus on marking on documentation more.

Seraph

HSC
N/A
well unfortunetly the repetition is necessary as my program is basically a Trivia game , oh well .... the code wasnt too simple to conjure considering my level of VB programming

Btw , when im doing the Algorithms (pseudocode) would i have to give the coding behind every form? what if its really just repeating stuff???

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Seraph
well unfortunetly the repetition is necessary as my program is basically a Trivia game , oh well .... the code wasnt too simple to conjure considering my level of VB programming

Btw , when im doing the Algorithms (pseudocode) would i have to give the coding behind every form? what if its really just repeating stuff???
Well i was sort of in your situation, you basically would only provide algorithms to the core aspects of the application that would require it to run. Like if you had a game, and you had to generate randomly a set of whatever, obviously the generation process and displaying the items is something core. Like you wouldn't want to have psuedocode for a button that closes a form, and prints a message.

Seraph

HSC
N/A
yea well each form basically uses the same code only with a few words to different naemd buttons and different questions changed... very little so yea i guess that idea works well

HSC
heh, imagine figuring out and adding all the binary for your major project to the documentation, now that would show real commitment, is it possible to even do??

sladehk

le random
HSC
Project Idea?

Wouldn't making a simple project like battleship, mastermind, stock market sim or etc will give you better marks. For the SDD major, i would suggest making an extremely simple project even noughts and crosses and make really good documentation and get very good marks. But's all up to you. I gave my project in already and if you want the source code and documentation, just email me. I did mastemind and battleship :)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
juventino said:
Do you people actually get to choose what you want to do for your major? Cause we don't :(
We had four options, or the choice of coming up with our own. We came up with own heh, just seemed easier than their predefinited situations.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Reviving this thread since it seems to have had much off-topic discussion of gantt charts and not much of actual discussion of ideas.

I am currently in year 11 and thinking of starting my yr12 project early. I have a couple of ideas but I'm not entirely sure about any of them yet.

Battleship Game: It was stated before that this would be "unoriginal" and "simple". But I doubt the people who wrote such comments really has any idea about what they were talking about. I think actual good battleship AI could be quite complex and that if you decided to make really good graphics as well, this project could be quite a challenge. And if you were ahead, you might even try to go for an online version? :p

Hotel Booking System (or similar): This one would probably rely on a database and a really good user interface. It could become quite complex if you included lots of options, many sorting algorithms and good GUI.

Bomberman (or other tile based small game): Would involve quite a bit of graphic work. Definatly interesting though, probably pretty hard too. You'd have to consider AI, animation, graphics and such. I'm sure it's possible though.

These are just some of my ideas, I'm not really sure yet. I'd like my project to be really good and that's why I'd like to start early so that I can make it as good as possibe. Anyone got any ideas, suggestions or recomendations?

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
i wish i saw this thread first before that extensive reply on the other one =(

roncai

Online Resume Writer ^_^

Make a online resume wrtie which users can personalise ... and also with additional function

Seraph

HSC
N/A
Seraph said:
PWNED 100%

chensta

HSC
N/A
my teacher says that we have to 'solve' a problem. Ive read some of the suggestions on the board of studies site, and alot of them dont solve anything. Then he goes onto 'you shouldnt do something that has been done before...blah blah blah'. Anyway, ive decided i want to make a php car racing management game. Now i have to find a problem to solve :p
I thought about making up one, for example 'blah blah auto parts, wants to promote their products on the internet', so then i make the game and say 'that company can advertise their crap in the game, and as the game is intended for car enthuasiasts, they will get lots of potential customers'....sumthin like that

i dunno, u guys got any better ideas?

Chen

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
chensta said:
my teacher says that we have to 'solve' a problem. Ive read some of the suggestions on the board of studies site, and alot of them dont solve anything. Then he goes onto 'you shouldnt do something that has been done before...blah blah blah'. Anyway, ive decided i want to make a php car racing management game. Now i have to find a problem to solve :p
I thought about making up one, for example 'blah blah auto parts, wants to promote their products on the internet', so then i make the game and say 'that company can advertise their crap in the game, and as the game is intended for car enthuasiasts, they will get lots of potential customers'....sumthin like that

i dunno, u guys got any better ideas?

Chen
Thats what I would have done if in your situation, sort of like that nitto game http://www.nitto1320.com/

Trev

stix
HSC
acmilan; what did you do for your major project? (seeing as though you got 94 for SDD?)
some guy got 94 at our school, and some guy made this really kool 'pong' game (like, i would never had known a student made it, it seemed like a real game :p), so i'm assuming it was him?!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Trev said:
acmilan; what did you do for your major project? (seeing as though you got 94 for SDD?)
some guy got 94 at our school, and some guy made this really kool 'pong' game (like, i would never had known a student made it, it seemed like a real game :p), so i'm assuming it was him?!
I just made a boring old business program that managed the sale of products, finances, inventory, payroll etc.

As for that pong game, its not too difficult to make in VB. I have made one before, Fosweb, a member on here made a pretty good one, much better than the one i made

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)