SDD Major Project Ideas (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I havnt made much games, just a primary school education game and a pong one. At the moment im working more on projects for work

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Find something that you know u could possibly program. Go to some massive code bank on the internet such as programming sources that give u free program code. Look at the code and understand it. If u understand it, just put comments all over to explain to ur teacher that u wrote it, even if u didnt, lol. This is what I did. I only changed the program a little bit and came first for SDD with a mark of 87. Hahahah, it was the subject I despised most because i couldnt program for shit.

BUT, note documentation of all the stages gives you alot more marks than a clever and difficult program.

Easy recommendations:

Tic Tac Toe 2 player, NO AI

funniboi

HSC
don't bite off more then you can chew

i suggest a plain video library database,

it'll give you a degree difficulty of .8 lol ( it's what i did, and it's what i got )

:)

BioHazard

Beep Boop
HSC
We were allowed to choose whatever we wanted. im doing a game (RPG) in C# with DirectX9.
The only things we need to have is loops, arrays, sorting, searching, external file handling etc.
The best advice i can possibly give is to start simple. then once you have something working. and if you have time left, keep a backup copy somewhere, and add whatever you can until its due in. But make sure you have a simple working program to fall back on.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
We were also allowed to do whatever we wanted.

I decided to do (or am currently trying to create) a simple personal payroll program.... i.e. something where the employee (user) simply enters in their details and their employers details, then during the week they enter in how many hours they worked and on what days, then process their pay when they are paid. Just a simple way to track how many hows they worked, when they worked, and how much they were paid.

I'm doing it in VB 6, since that's all we've been taught and that's all we're allowed to do it in (since it's the only language out teacher knows). I had a lot of trouble in trying to implement a flew grid that I could use to allow users to enter in data and then save that data from the flexgrid. After months of fiddling around I found a really good one online that can have data entered in and the whole flex grid can be saved.

So atm, I'm just attempting to get everything saving correctly and then will try and implement tax scales and other features later if I have enough time.

Another idea I had that someone may find useful is a petrol calculation-type program. i.e. each time the user fills up their tank, they take a not of their odometer (I think that's it - i.e. how many kms they've travelled), and also how much they spent and even how many litres they bought. The user can then put this data into the program each time they fill up their tank. Then you can make the program generate graphs from the data and in this way you can either warn, or just allow the user to predict that on average they are not getting as many kms per litre as they used to. The user can then use the program to predict when their car will need a service.

Another program idea was also just a simple program to keep track of sporting data, i.e. soccer goals, scores, wins, losses etc

I hope someone finds that ramble useful :D

cortex

HSC
Recommendation

I suggest a standalone content management system for multiple websites, coded in java ofcourse :)

<marquee> Oh yes oh yes capital cities sexiest ladies, count them one two three oh yes </marquee>

<b> Soon to be Computer Science Grad @ Newie Uni </b>

Last edited:

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Vangineer said:
If u understand it, just put comments all over to explain to ur teacher that u wrote it, even if u didnt, lol.
God help you if you ever made it to uni, you dropkick.

cortex said:
I suggest a standalone content management system for multiple websites, coded in java ofcourse :)
What, like this? :p

As far as ideas go, I agree that whoever said writing a battleships game is easy is a twit. If writing a game with AI is a little too difficult, try something database-ish.

Say, for example, if anyone in your grade has a tendency to collect funny teacher quotes, you could always make a nice compendium of them. Or if you're able to use something like PHP, maybe something simple like an addressbook, or a tagboard that you can later drop into an existing site as a component, or something.

The problem with all these assignments requiring an original ideas is that the end results turn out to be rather naff, as it's hard to make something original and useful at the same time, without either orgasmically brilliant ideas, or lots of time and research. :S

rithvikt

*Abeh-OI-*
HSC
vl i do SWD too and for my major task i am doing a software package for a restaurent..u know like a pricing system, the user chooses the things he wants and at the end ur printed with a list of items with prices, like a docket with place of purchase etc.....vl my teacher suggested to have a DBMS in the background to get the full marks so i thought this was the best and the easiest idea.....

rithvikt

*Abeh-OI-*
HSC
and also i disagree with peeps suggesting to do games....they r time consuming and not much documentation can be done (which is where the real marks are)...but then again if ur gud at those type of things thats a whole different story

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
My major work solves the problem that you find revision programs everywhere for all the modern languages, but none for Latin (except those little flash things on the internet that freeze and are full of typos and mistakes - I have a screenshot of a passive verb being translated as an active one). So I'm making a program for year eight students to revise basic verbs, noun cases and simple vocabulary. The verb game is hangman-style, the noun game is on a timer to see how many you can get in 60 seconds and the vocabulary is a matching pairs thinggumy. But I'm relying on excessive documentation to pull me through rather than bright ideas.

Ghost1788

HSC
heres the error handler of my Major enjoy IF THEN STATEMENTS
Code said:
Private Sub cmdOK_Click()
If blnAccountnumber_err = True Then
frmLoanSetupp1.txtAccountNumber.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
frmLoanSetupp1.txtAccountNumber.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
blnAccountnumber_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnAmountBorrowed_err = True Then
frmLoanSetupp1.txtAmountBorrowed.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
frmLoanSetupp1.txtAmountBorrowed.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
blnAmountBorrowed_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnSETTLEMENTDATE_err = True Then
strSETTLEMENTDATE = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
frmLoanSetupp1.Show 'set focus on trouble area
frmMV.Show
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
blnSETTLEMENTDATE_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnLOANTERM_err = True Then
frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
blnLOANTERM_err = False 'turn off the error alarm

ElseIf blnLOANSETUPP1DETAILS_err = True Then
frmLoanSetupp1.Show 'show form Loan Setup 1
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide MSGBOXerr_OK
blnLOANSETUPP1DETAILS_err = False 'turn off alarm

ElseIf blnfrmLoanSetupp4_Clarify = True Then
frmLoanSetupp4.Show 'show form Loan Setup page 4
frmLoanSetupp4.Enabled = True 'enable the loab setup page 4
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide MSGBOXerr_OK
blnfrmLoanSetupp4_Clarify = False 'turnoff form
msgpcbox.Visible = True 'show the eror image box
lbltop.Caption = "Error" 'reset the MainForm heading to Error

ElseIf blnLoanNameTaken_err = True Then
frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.Text = "" 'cancel and clear alarm
frmLoanSetupp1.txtLoanTerm.SetFocus 'set focus on trouble area
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide Form MSGBOXerr_OK
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Height = "1455" 'set the height of the Form MSGBOXerr_OK
loanNameexist_err = False

ElseIf blnFILENAME_ERR = True Then
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide '.'hide the Form MSGBOX_err
frmLoadloan.Show 'Show Form Loan Loader
blnFILENAME_ERR = False ''hide alarm

ElseIf LoanSetuptermadd_err = True Then
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'hide the FORM MSGBOX_err
frmLoanSetupp2.Show 'show form Loan setup page 2
LoanSetuptermadd_err = False 'turn off alarm
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Height = 1455 'set height of the Form: MSGBOXerr_OK

ElseIf LoanSetupFreq_err = True Then
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide 'Hide the Form MSGBOXerr_OK
frmLoanSetupp3.Show 'show Loan Setup
LoanSetupFreq_err = False 'turn off the 'alarm'

ElseIf blnNoexcel_err = True Then
frmMSGBOXerr_OK.Hide
UNLOADMYLOANS
End If
I created/creating a mortgage calculator though i recommend no one tries to do it, wasted too much time coding....this is part of the error checking module that used boolean variable to set off an 'alarm' that triggered this module sending the user a message and when they clicked OK the if then statements would return the user to where the error originated and turn off the 'alarm'

GOOD LUCK PPL

Last edited:

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
fullmetaljacket said:
heh, imagine figuring out and adding all the binary for your major project to the documentation, now that would show real commitment, is it possible to even do??
If you had a thousand monkeys, on a thousand typewriters...

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Hmmm...nearly finished my Latin Computer Tutor...it worked until I tried to dump it into one of those nifty "installation programs"...and now when you first install it, it runs happily. And then after that, when you quit it and run it a second time, it says the files can't be found. So I may just zip them up into zip files and be done with them.

HSC
drewgcn said:
If you had a thousand monkeys, on a thousand typewriters...
Well it look's like we are in business....

Nah anyway, for my major this year I made a database application. Quite boring now that I think of it. Others used things such as directx. Although I must admit, it was quite lame in the way that they made the first level so hard that the teacher won't be able to get passed it so therefore they wouldn't have to make more levels. AND WHAT'S THE GO WITH ALL THE STUPID KIDS PAYING OTHERS TO MAKE IT FOR THEM?? THAT IS SO LAME AND REALLY ANNOYS ME! Stupid rich kids....that are stupid.

Anyway, my point is that using VB.NET with a Microsoft Jet Database is very very annoying and I don't suggest anyone do it unless you want to come across approximately 500 errors a day. Although I must admit, I had never worked with databases before in VB.NET and it was quite the learning curve.

D43V1L0N3

HSC
i wrote a version of monopoly in VB6.

almost worked perfectly too cept for one unforseen place where you could cheat lol.
part from that it was an awesome project to do... have to be reasonable at coding though and not worry about spending a lot of time figuring things out lol. soo many calls to other subs it wasnt funny.

Mumma

HSC
I am starting my design work on MOTANK, a top-down completely unrealistic multiplayer tank shooter... haha... its gonna be awesome, and be written in Python using the pygame library.

I already have a simple game-engine up and running. Its got a simple renderer (uses a list called a drawstack for sprite ordering, and updates only the areas of the screen that have changed), input trapping, a nice little event manager (hurray for event driven object oriented programming WITHOUT VISUAL BASIC i fucking hate visual basic), tick-generator, etc.

Ive got to rework my renderer though, implement a map system, figure out how to do networking in Python, implement the actual game. its gonna be a crazy year for sure if i want to finish all this off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)