SDDer's Unite! (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yeah, once you have the proposal, go nuts with the code - just don't change the idea, because opne of the criteria will, more than likely, be something along the lines of "Does the project do what it set out to do", so make sure your program fits the description (it can do extra, and this will only gain you marks). No less, though.

But to 94... don't make the project the sole source of your attention. Do other assessment tasks with just as much obsession, make sure you top the class, and go over notes and past exams until you're scoring fantastically on past papers (and no cheating on past papers, I did this for a paper and then realised how dumb it was).

But yeah. Once the project is done, and do it early, do theoretical stuff rather than learning to code - get good at exam technique, e.g. pulling at least 19/20 on the (usually easy) MC questions, and not writing too much for the longer response questions.

If, for example, a question is worth 2 marks, do not raise 3 points. Raise 2 points, and explain them well, in the available space.
I am staying up tonight to do SDD!

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Hehe... SDD people are usually at an advantage 'cos most people doing SDD have such a long gap between SDD and everything else... so... make sure you get a good night's sleep before, and don't study too hard the day before. Maybe some light reading of notes, not asking yourself questions. Though you have plenty of time until Exams, so meh.

And I hope you get your 99+ and all-rounders, that would be amazing...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hehe... SDD people are usually at an advantage 'cos most people doing SDD have such a long gap between SDD and everything else... so... make sure you get a good night's sleep before, and don't study too hard the day before. Maybe some light reading of notes, not asking yourself questions. Though you have plenty of time until Exams, so meh.

And I hope you get your 99+ and all-rounders, that would be amazing...
Cheers haha. :) So what are you doing now?

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Waiting for O-Week at UNSW (Computer Science). Nothing to do until then, found a house, moved in, figured out how to cook, and write code for the hell of it. Currently doing XHTML/CSS/JavaScript, interspersed with random walks down the street, simply because I have nothing to do until Monday.

Wait up, scratch that, I wanna argue with the landlord about this Internet, and talk to people on BoS.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Did you include all sorts, searches, arrays in your major?

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
I included none except a bunch of arrays, because we weren't marked on that and I didn't need to. YMMV, but KISS. Elegant code is the best, including stuff just for the hell of it is probably not a good idea, but know them inside out for the exam.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
YMMV, KISS?

Mmm, I am making an Olympic application - It's like an mini app. Will that be sufficient?

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Your mileage may vary, keep it simple stupid.

And what does this app do, is it like a timetable thing, or an input-and-sort-and-display results thing, or what? But yeah, it should definitely be sufficient as long as its not completely pointless.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Your mileage may vary, keep it simple stupid.

And what does this app do, is it like a timetable thing, or an input-and-sort-and-display results thing, or what? But yeah, it should definitely be sufficient as long as its not completely pointless.
What should I make it do? At the moment not very much...

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
You should make it do whatever you want - but be guided by the question "What would I want from an Olympics app?" Consider things such as a tally of scores by country (nothing simple, just read from a file or whatever), possibly a trivia section ("Eleventeen elephants were killed in the making of the swimming pool!"), or something like a top trumps game of athletes. Just make it interactive, and think about the users, and your idea will be awesome :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You should make it do whatever you want - but be guided by the question "What would I want from an Olympics app?" Consider things such as a tally of scores by country (nothing simple, just read from a file or whatever), possibly a trivia section ("Eleventeen elephants were killed in the making of the swimming pool!"), or something like a top trumps game of athletes. Just make it interactive, and think about the users, and your idea will be awesome :)
We haven't done any reading from a file. What does it involve?

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
If you haven't done reading from a file, I wouldn't worry about it. It can possibly be complicated and annoying, depending on what language you use. Just hard-code all that stuff instead, you won't get marked down because it's likely you weren't taught anything to replace that.

Any brainwaves for what it should do? :p

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
If you haven't done reading from a file, I wouldn't worry about it. It can possibly be complicated and annoying, depending on what language you use. Just hard-code all that stuff instead, you won't get marked down because it's likely you weren't taught anything to replace that.

Any brainwaves for what it should do? :p
- So far, It does, shopping, ie. tickets merchandise (Not too sure how to implement a sort, search on those.) Any ideas?

- It displays news

- Accessibility info.

- I think I should have something for the impaired.

- Locations/tourism in London.

- Need more....

Btw this is the psuedocode, we don't do the coding yet.

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
How you should implement a search and/or sort depends on how they're stored, but it's most likely that they are in a multi-dimensional array. *IF* that is the case, you should take a search term as input, and you will have some sort of counted loop going through each field of the array. The language you are programming in should have some sort of facility to extract characters from strings, but you don't have to worry about this in the pseudocode.

Sorting will be similar in terms of arrays, put your theoretical knowledge into practice =D

"Something for the impaired" -> a map of wheelchair access points, lifts, first aid, or something?

And in terms of needing more, I don't think you need a whole lot more, maybe some results (dummy, made-up results would do fine if it's due close to or before the Olympics).

That sounds awesome, though - and you seem to have a good understanding of the steps involved, which is a really solid start.

Just out of curiosity, what language are you using?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
How you should implement a search and/or sort depends on how they're stored, but it's most likely that they are in a multi-dimensional array. *IF* that is the case, you should take a search term as input, and you will have some sort of counted loop going through each field of the array. The language you are programming in should have some sort of facility to extract characters from strings, but you don't have to worry about this in the pseudocode.

Sorting will be similar in terms of arrays, put your theoretical knowledge into practice =D

"Something for the impaired" -> a map of wheelchair access points, lifts, first aid, or something?

And in terms of needing more, I don't think you need a whole lot more, maybe some results (dummy, made-up results would do fine if it's due close to or before the Olympics).

That sounds awesome, though - and you seem to have a good understanding of the steps involved, which is a really solid start.

Just out of curiosity, what language are you using?
Our prescribed language is Pascal, however I may use VB for GUI.

I am also doing the documentation in LaTeX for the professional edge.

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't have much experience with Pascal, but it should be more than good enough to do all the stuff you need.

Anyways, something has arisen in the form of a party, and I shall check this thread in the morning.

Best of luck!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Free cookies to anyone who plays with Spiral!

Verus me in binary addition!

Vick Kumar

HSC
I studied SDD back in 2007/2008. We learned 'Visual basic' via using Word. It was terrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)