Section 1, Part B - Short Answer (1 Viewer)

_Arsenal_

HSC
someone please explain to me how a mutation occurs in dna replication.
I wrote because a mutation as we know, is either an addition, subtraction or a change in DNA. This can occur in either the Transcription or Translation of DNA and some other random crap. Correct me if I am wrong, I honestly don't think I did that well in this question

_Arsenal_

HSC
Antibiotics would have been incorrect, developing a vaccine would be correct.
Talked about isolation of the horses, destroying clothes of people that came in contact, making sure they wash correctly and vaccinating all horses that were not infected. (Y)

Ryan_T90

HSC
Did anyone else do the Human Story as their option? If so, what are your thoughts?

Laughable

HSC
Human Story is definitely harder this year than the past years, but I think I did okay for it. Some silly mistakes and I probably didn't put enough information for the long response one but oh well.

eric_

HSC
I drew diagrams with a black pen :/ what's the maximum penalty for that? :/

emmkayyez

HSC
in the communications section, what did you guys put for "match pieces of apparatus used in the experiment to three identified parts of the eye". i said the lenses were the lens, the paper the retina and the fluid the vitreous humor. wbu????
Same!

atar123

HSC
my thought is that lung cancer requires years to develop by checking their health check in the past year is not sufficient, he should follow them up for a longer period.

hsc2012la

HSC
I just don't understand how that's possible. The whole point of DNA replication is to get an exact copy i.e. mitosis

So how does it just randomly change?
Yes it is but it doesn't necessarily mean that there's never going to be a mistake. I've looked through my notes and these mistakes can be caused by the polymerase enzymes, they could attach the wrong nucleotide. Just keep in mind that it's not common for this is happen and fortunately they're fixed up most of the time. It's a rare thing for mutations to occur and it's the most plausible link between DNA replication and evolution.

Phillip Tran

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I am SO FILTHY AT MYSELF.... for writing down the wrong enzyme. I said "amylase" when it should have been "catalyase". Something like that.... I mentioned hydrogen peroxide... height of bubbles = enzyme activity.... but I just could not remember the damn enzyme....

Anyways what did you guys draw for the red and white blood cells?
My red blood (6um) cell was basically a circle, with another circle inside it to label it as thinner at the centre of the cell. I also said it had no nucleus...
My white blood cell was basically another circle... this time twice as big as the red blood cell (12um). I did not draw or label any parts of it. It was just a circle. It looks so plain...

The rest of the test was pretty okay. In fact it was one of my favourite tests of all time. I LOVED the 8 mark questions (the one in the short answer and the one in the communication section )- I absolutely destroyed it!

wavess

HSC
There was that question about analyse something.. i think an investigation, what did yous put for that?

nmilligan

HSC
Don't get me wrong, I included transcription/translation error etc. as well, but is it really the most plausible link? DNA replication has to occur during meiosis (Technically before, the cells start with already copied chromosomes) before crossing over, random segregation, etc. to ensure the genetic information of the parent is passed on to daughter cells. Darwin/Wallace's theory of evolution via natural selection recommends that an organism in a changing environment (under selective pressure) with the most favourable characteristics to survive in that environment will out-compete other organisms. Due to the processes of DNA replication as well as meiosis, etc. the surviving organism is thereby able to pass on their genetic information to offspring, thus enabling propogation of favourable characteristics. The variation required for evolution doesn't necessarily need to come from DNA replication (it can come from lots of places- sexual reproduction, meiosis, etc.), it just provides a mechanism via which desirable characteristics may be passed on to future generations. i.e. natural selection / survival of the fittest, etc.

I don't know, what else?

DEANius

HSC
From other subjects, there is no penalty for using pen. the reason you use pencil is to avoid excessive messiness if you need to change it :)

HSC
I am SO FILTHY AT MYSELF.... for writing down the wrong enzyme. I said "amylase" when it should have been "catalyase". Something like that.... I mentioned hydrogen peroxide... height of bubbles = enzyme activity.... but I just could not remember the damn enzyme....

Anyways what did you guys draw for the red and white blood cells?
My red blood (6um) cell was basically a circle, with another circle inside it to label it as thinner at the centre of the cell. I also said it had no nucleus...
My white blood cell was basically another circle... this time twice as big as the red blood cell (12um). I did not draw or label any parts of it. It was just a circle. It looks so plain...

The rest of the test was pretty okay. In fact it was one of my favourite tests of all time. I LOVED the 8 mark questions (the one in the short answer and the one in the communication section )- I absolutely destroyed it!
AAAaggghhh!! I did the same thing. Except I wrote the enzyme was polymerase instead of peroxidase (livers have 2 enzymes: catylase and peroxidase). <<What an idiot!!! :(
Yeah, my red blood cell was just a circle with another circle in it. Did u label the cell membrane of the RBC?? (I had the same question in my halfies, and I lost a mark for not labeling the membrane). Also, for the WBC, I put some irregular circly-things in the cell, cos that's what we saw when we did the experiment with the light microscope) and labelled the nucleus there. I also put the scale for both the cells which, for me, was 1cm=2 micrometres.
At least somebody likes the test.. I'm feeling so bad looking back at the test...so many errors!! :(

HKspec009

HSC
Not enough writing space for short answers, that is my only complaint.
Also the vagueness of some of the multiple choice questions/answers
Should be able to get Band 6 though :)

RishBonjour

HSC
Not enough writing space for short answers, that is my only complaint.
Also the vagueness of some of the multiple choice questions/answers
Should be able to get Band 6 though :)
some people used extra booklets for short answers. I didn't know we could. But I think the space provided is ample for full marks if you hit the points.

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you get a mark for using pencil in the marking criteria then you will lose 1 mark

if not, then you will lose none

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)