Section 3 - As You Like It (1 Viewer)

Jigram

HSC
Did anyone else have trouble with Section 3 of the Belonging paper with As You Like It? I had to refute the question because Belonging is instantaneous and circumstantial in AYLI. Characters instantly belong, despite not having developed a relationship with an individual/place over a long period of time. I argued that perceptions of belonging are largely based on interaction, and have very little to do with long periods of time, as this is a thesis which fitted well for my ORT, Paradise Lost. Was this a legit approach?

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Last edited:

ArguablyMitch

HSC
That would be a good approach, however the question asks:

"In what ways is this view of belonging represented..."

To me that's asking you to show specifically how the text supports the view; it doesn't ask to what extent, or whether or not you agree - it says this is the view, tell us how this is shown in your text(s).
i.e. I don't think refutation was addressing the question properly. I could very well be wrong and I hope someone points it out if I am.

I focused on Jaques' monologue, and a few other things...I don't actually remember now; lol.

Jigram

HSC
That would be a good approach, however the question asks:

"In what ways is this view of belonging represented..."

To me that's asking you to show specifically how the text supports the view; it doesn't ask to what extent, or whether or not you agree - it says this is the view, tell us how this is shown in your text(s).
i.e. I don't think refutation was addressing the question properly. I could very well be wrong and I hope someone points it out if I am.

I focused on Jaques' monologue, and a few other things...I don't actually remember now; lol.
That distinction is exactly why I was worried.

I have a feeling though that "In what ways" can be refuted though, because you are still talking about how the text compares to this statement.

Overall I'm very happy with my essay, I'm just nervous about whether I hit the question properly.

Really though, AYLI isn't about belonging developing over time, it's about belonging being instantaneous and irrational.

Any more ideas? Anyone else?

Last edited:

manscux

HSC
Hi i talked about:
1st point: how oliver is able to overturn his insular and jealous attributes upon experiencing Orlando's spontaneous virtue in the forest ("gave me fresh array... and led me instantly into his cave")... over time the assumptions of primogeniture are overturned with these positive experiences and a positive perception of belonging is instilled in oliver
2nd point: Rosland was unable to find comfort in the court community ("shows more mirth than mistress off") and thus goes to Arden where she can belong because of her affiliations that she develops over time with the community

Those were my two approaches

:)

cosrob97

HSC
N/A
Nope. You're screwed. You couldn't argue with the question.

Artemkin

HSC
Having originally prepared to talk about Jacques belonging to self and Duke Senior's connection to the forest/community of the forest, the time aspect of the question really caught me off guard. So I focused mostly on the interactions with some sprinkles of time: Duke Senior's connection to the court weakening and belonging to the forest strengthening with the passage of time, and Jacques reaching the full realization of his belonging only to self and not to the wider community of the forest as he spends more of time in Ardenne. I know both of these points are extremely far fetched and absolute bs, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do. Overall my essay was a meaningless mess, the worst I've ever done. Just gonna have to ace the modules now.

Riaa

HSC
I focused on Touchstone's and Oliver's transformation that is evident overtime due to their certain interactions and experiences in their world. My essay was shaped on how once they accepted te differences between themselves and others, which is gained over time, they could the truly belong and hence shape or 'evolve' their perceptions of belonging.

So initially Touchstone refuses to adapt and hence alienates himself from the forest life and it's inhabitants. However over time, he accepts these differences and hence his acceptances of Audrey and the forest life. *Four quotes to back this up. I then spoke about Oliver and his mistreatment of his brother and that overtime he realized his faults in the antithesis, 'T'was I, but 'tis not I. I do not shame to tell you what I was." And hence belonging.

Not sure if I approached the question correctly, but it made sense in my head. LOL

Demise

HSC
Characterisation of Rosalind, Duke Frederick, Orlando, Oliver and Duke Senior as well as Celia depicted belonging and how it changes over time, then a ton of making up content - lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)