Section 3 (1 Viewer)

jaso272

HSC
andykillz said:
lol really ? i thought the stimulus book had lots of really good texts which could be used for imaginative journeys. well from what i heard , most of them were good haha , but then again i guess it depends on how well your teacher has taught.
haha, true... my teacher didnt like any of the bos stuff, shes pretty set in her ways... used to be senior hsc marker. she knows her stuff tho... just refuses to teach the ones she doesnt like :p
i used the margaret atwood thingy... but i thort it was uninspired and didnt realli have a strong thematic point to it.... though i did like the image of the hills parting for her to move through them, that was kinda cool..... maybe it just had that board of studies reek to it that stifles any creative piece it puts its name on.... :p

Lauraline xx

HSC
anyone else spend ages writing pre-planned essays that didnt actually work in the exam room? :p fastest 8 pages of bullshit ive ever made up.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Share your thoughts/comments/opinions on Section 3 (Extended Response; Questions 3-5)
I thought this year's questions were some of the easiest ones yet, especially as each set of questions used the unambiguous term "unexpected". Many students were concerned with the "to what extent" clause of the question but really, all that was needed were some qualitative terms such as "extensively" or "significantly". In other words you could continue using "similarly" "likewise" "in contrast to" throughout your essay while making some judgements as regards to how your texts and theses fit in with the terms of the question.

Question 3 (Physical Journeys)
Texts may show us that the world of physical journeys involves unexpected detours. To what extent do the texts you have studied support this idea?

My interpretation: the "unexpected detours" is concerned specifically with how the tangible destinations of physical journeys are linked inextricably with the intangible or material obstacles 'along the way'. In laymen's terms: use cause and effect, how unanticipated detours arise during the continuous journeying process and/or how the destinations of 'learning' may never be/always be/sometimes reached by one conquering their unforseen detours.

Question 4 (Imaginative Journeys)
Texts may show us that the world of imaginative journeys involves unexpected destinations. To what extent do the texts you have studied support this idea?

This would have fitted extremely well with one of theses i contribute to my teaching units. Anywho, it would involve how the "unexpected destinations" are actually the final, higher place of enlightenment that the metaphysical nature of journeying provides guidance to. I.e. structuring one's response around how journeys (destination) = process (journey as a medium, providing guidance to another place), process = journeys.

Question 5 (Inner Journeys)
Texts may show us that the world of inner journeys involves unexpected encounters. To what extent do the texts you have studied support this idea?

Probably the most difficult of the trio of journey questions due to the very simplicity of the phrasing. "Unexpected encounters" is quite a broad umbrella term, so the better responses would specifically delve into how these encounters impact upon the final, higher destination of psychological growth inner journeys produce.

An eg opening sequence: The unexpected events ("encounters") which arise during the course of an introspective journey provide necessary challenges for travelers to overcome, where stagnancy may be comfortable but reveals a baseless existence. Worlds of inner transitions use the medium of the self-reflection process in order to effect change in material reality, thereby outlining the inextricable bind between the metaphysical and physical. This dynamic equilibrium of powerful unexpected encounters and worlds or inner learning is explored in...

Oh yes, and i have some inkling in regards to the interpretation of the questions as i have consulted English professionals (including tertiary level academics with experience in the HSC) as well as my own accumulated knowledge of HSC marking from current teachers.

cesco200

HSC
Hey all,

Best of luck to evreyone for wednesday.

Now I feel resonably confident for sections 1 and 2 but (tho its impossible to be sure) But I may have ruined all of that in the essay.

I chose to go against the question saying that Imaginative journeys are by no means unexpected but have two distinct outcomes: success or a failure to transform spiritually, emotionally and physically.

Ive had a mixed responjse from friends. Some reckon ive completely 'butchered it,' others reckon Ill do Ok and some reckon Ill do brillantly cos its original.

Anyone here have an idea about how that response may shape up??

HSC
cesco200 said:
Hey all,

Best of luck to evreyone for wednesday.

Now I feel resonably confident for sections 1 and 2 but (tho its impossible to be sure) But I may have ruined all of that in the essay.

I chose to go against the question saying that Imaginative journeys are by no means unexpected but have two distinct outcomes: success or a failure to transform spiritually, emotionally and physically.

Ive had a mixed responjse from friends. Some reckon ive completely 'butchered it,' others reckon Ill do Ok and some reckon Ill do brillantly cos its original.

Anyone here have an idea about how that response may shape up??
well i dont think that you should really worry about it now, considering its over and you cant do anything about it. sounds good though and similar to where my response was heading. yes, heading. i wrote only a 1/4 of my essay, and i always do better in essays (A or higher). im just hoping that my internal mark and second rank will help me.

i got over it anyway, even though its ruined my chances of receiving a band 6. :burn:

Student Mum

HSC
I was not happy with the way I answered that question in Paper 1 for English Advanced. I did not get to complete my extended response, I had so much more to write in the last few minutes of the exam. So, I'm kicking myself about it even two months later. I spent too much time on Sections 1 and 2.

It's great that it's finally over and I've passed it enough to want to put it behind me, but I'm annoyed that I couldn't put it all together at the end. I'd like to know if anyone else feels the same way about Paper1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)