Section II - Crime (1 Viewer)

aimsley

HSC
kouklitsa said:
WEll ive already written the BOS an email.. i dont actually know how far that will get.

Im not sure what our coordinator for HSIE subjects will be doing though... straight away she said 'its not on the syllabus etc etc'' coz 1 girl was crying!

Maybe we could do a standard letter and have all the schools sign it or something??

I was talking to a friend.. shes a teacher at another school. and iw as telling her what happened and she said that if it comes to the point where they realise something went wrong with the paper, they'd actually scrap the question altogether, or mark alot more leniantly...

Yea. I think the more people make complaints, the more notice they'll take. And if its coming from the schools rather than students alone, it doesn't just seem like a bunch of disgruntled students lol. I've been told by people to definitely make a complaint, and all schools should be looking into it. Surely, if schools all across the state are complaining, they can't simply ignore it? Surely legal will be marked more lieniently, more perhaps scaled better...im surely hoping this is the case! lol

vic_1234

Legal ---get over it

just because all of you had trouble doesnt mean that the question was bad
it was supposed to challenge you so dont all have a winge

although it wasnt necessarily in the syllabus....the question was general knowledge..

pig_93

HSC
ngmares said:
Sounds like LovelyHelen had one of those psychic teachers who chose Juvenile justice as a focus unit! LOL heck juvenile justice isn't even in the sylabus so now I reckon both c) and d) were dodgy.... Yes that's nearly a fifth of the paper!
this is my argument exactly.
everyones all angry about c c c c c c c but wha about D?? mr d was D for Dodgy. that wasnt in the syllabus, if juvenilles were, it would have to explicitly say it. its not fair and it shouldnt be on

IM STILL NOT OVER IT AND ITS NEARLY BEEN A WEEK

Pixydust*

i didnt mention institutionalised inequality in my 12 marker - i just assumed by 'treatment of offenders' they meant their overall experience with the criminal justice system - would i have been incorrect in discussing things like the extensive periods the accused spends in remand, legal aid, options for sentencing young offenders etc? any help is much appreciated thanks!

roadcone

HSC
nope i would think that that is exactly what they would be looking for. i spoke about rights afforded to those accused of crime, the extra rights that juveniles get because society believes that they should be better treated, the role of legal aid, the purposes of punishment and their aim to make the punishment fit the crime, umm.. i think i even threw the treatment of victims since they are also involved in the criminal justice system.

Pixydust*

AFI said:
makes me feel better at least knowing that every1 struggled with this question. Basically the people that seemed to write alot of pages at my school prety much just dumped down the crime styllabus however i highly doubt it is relevant to the question...hopefully the marks for crime are low state wide..thus not effecting band categories.
actually, its a bad thing if we all perform poorly because that means legal studies will not scale as generously - generally speaking it doesnt scale too good anyway. I think thats the way it works?

Pixydust*

roadcone said:
nope i would think that that is exactly what they would be looking for. i spoke about rights afforded to those accused of crime, the extra rights that juveniles get because society believes that they should be better treated, the role of legal aid, the purposes of punishment and their aim to make the punishment fit the crime, umm.. i think i even threw the treatment of victims since they are also involved in the criminal justice system.
Exellent - THANK YOU~!! now i can sleep tonight - or stay up worrying about maths, whatever lol!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Using logic i managed to ramble about discretion, leniant sentencing / Mitigating circumstance of age, rehabilitation (Purpose of punishment).

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
Pixydust* said:
i didnt mention institutionalised inequality in my 12 marker - i just assumed by 'treatment of offenders' they meant their overall experience with the criminal justice system - would i have been incorrect in discussing things like the extensive periods the accused spends in remand, legal aid, options for sentencing young offenders etc? any help is much appreciated thanks!

IT didn't say treatment of OFFENDERS, it said treatment of adults and juveniles, therefore it was asking also, about the treatment of all personal involde in the crimnal justice system including the victim and their role, as only being a tool of the prosecution. if u focused solely on offenders, i dont think ull get teh marks u want.

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
Rafy said:
Using logic i managed to ramble about discretion, leniant sentencing / Mitigating circumstance of age, rehabilitation (Purpose of punishment).

me to, i also talked about the victims in child abuse cases and rape cases etc. the ADULT OFFENDER V MINOR VICTIM and surprisingly had a case taht was vice versa

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
by that guys logic...if they asked something about the rules of evidence *which i learnt in mock trial* and only those who did mock trial in the state got the right answer it would be alright coz everyone in the state should have done the 'extra work ' by doing mock trial and were underprepared :rolleyes:

Lozzz

HSC
Everyone should put all this effort into winging to the actual BOS, this is getting nowhere.. the lady in the SMH article said only 12 people had complained, so she had not reason to do anything.. everyone start e-mailing the BOS... otherwise move on.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
Lozzz said:
Everyone should put all this effort into winging to the actual BOS, this is getting nowhere.. the lady in the SMH article said only 12 people had complained, so she had not reason to do anything.. everyone start e-mailing the BOS... otherwise move on.
people have already complained to the actual BOS, none of us have received a good enough reply, as of yet. Personally, I have also complained to my local state member, and the education minister.

All Current Members of State Parliament can be found at: http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/Parlment/Members.nsf/V3ListCurrentMembers - just click on their names and their contact details should come up

cooljazza

HSC
yeh i thought it was hella weird when every year so far the questions been straight from the syllabus and this year it wasnt for those 2 questions. i wrote 8 pages for it though which i was stoked about and talked bout recidivism and doli incapax and stuff. But im just pissed off that i spent most of my time studyin for crime when i didnt really need to

LovelyHelen

HSC
crime rubbish

I don't mean to stir up trouble, but someone said before i must have had one of those psychic teachers who made us learn juvenile justice. I didn't. We worked through the syllabus same as everyone else - no special focuses or anything.

I think the kerfuffle about this question is a bit silly - it was asking you to think hard rather than regurgitate. And really, one of the themes you're supposed to study in legal is how the law affects different groups (males/females would seem like an obvious one to me).

As for all these complaints, regular scaling and moderation will smooth things out, so I don't see the need to sign petitions and get all panicky. If legal students performed worse this year than in other years, scaling will take care of that.

In the end, it won't come down to students who studied juveniles in particular, but those who thought really hard during the exam rather than relying on regurgitating what they'd been told in class.

Anche

ghg
HSC
anche

well the whole bloody paper was challenging!! my trial paper was 10 times easier :( :( i thiunk i failed

greg the keg

HSC
the crime section was easy u just had to think about subjective decisioning with judicial discretion about the female and male question and how this is related to punishment and treatment
with the last question u could have used doli incapax and the use of childrens courts

belissimo

HSC
Carmen000 said:
Gee is anyone else glad they studied THE WHOLE ENTIRE CHAPTER OF CRIME to be examined on a tiny little stupid bit about crappy little children.
Har har har. Good point. I spent ages studying the crime section, and for what? Stupid juveniles. I wasnt impressed with this question. Family was good though.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
belissimo said:
Har har har. Good point. I spent ages studying the crime section, and for what? Stupid juveniles. I wasnt impressed with this question. Family was good though.
Rn't u a juvenile? 18, maybe, but still young... (like i should take...)

-P_D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)