Section II - Society (1 Viewer)

Anonymous1

HSC
In regards to Option A - Old Kingdom Egypt, the types of questions asked were fairly easy, all describe and explain type questions, and not requiring any real analysis, although I incorporated this into my responses any way. Also, the amount of marks allocated to each type of question was pretty terrible... thought they could have come up with a better 12 mark question than to 'explain' the importance of the King, which basically just links back to maintaining ma'at and doesn't really require any evaluation or assessment really. It seems as though they have placed this section on a silver platter, along with the rest of the exam.

daponisher

HSC
skoollover said:
I think the acropolis question was absolute bullshit as well as the Thelos question????? is that even in the syllabus!!!!!!!
Guys are u kidding lol those two were gimme marks. 12 makrs on the Acropolis and 8 on the Agora thats basically regurgatating all the basic shit about democratic buildings and temples that you should learn in week 2.

And yes the tholos is in the syllabus

trivedir

HSC
What did you cool guys doin Sparta write for the first question?- Name TWO ancient authers who wrote about Sparta-

I wrote Terpanda and Alcman is that rite???

Lauraline xx

HSC
mattooty said:
I had actually studied the army way of life and its importance this morning before i went into the exam so i was pretty pumped with that.
As for festivals i couldnt remember anything and turns out the second 3 mark question was a mess hall....now who woulda guessed? hahahha

are you serious??? a mess hall??? YAY!!!! i had no idea so i dicided to make it up and i said it was a mess hall! how freaking lucky is that???

ok... 8 marks for the freaking religious festival???? did it really really need to have 8 marks?

lucky for me... i watched 300 last night so i knew all about.... um... sparta.

"THIS IS MADNESS!"

nick1689

HSC
trivedir said:
What did you cool guys doin Sparta write for the first question?- Name TWO ancient authers who wrote about Sparta-

I wrote Terpanda and Alcman is that rite???
I wrote Plutarch ad Aristotle, easy marks. Alcman was actually Spartan wasnt he? Im sure that would have been alright. Dont know who they other guy is, but if he was ancient, and wrote on Sparta in any way it would have been fine.

trivedir

HSC
yeah Terpanda was a Spartan and he wrote something bout Sparta..but he's not very famous

thanks

Lauraline xx

HSC
i wrote Alcman and plutach...

did anyone put it in a sentence? i just wrote the two names and moved on...

trivedir

HSC
write 2 names and move on. you dont get mo marks for "padding"

tithe

HSC
I did Sparta aswell and yes...i also felt like i flunked the festivals question. I did Karniea as well but didn't go into too much detail...Its nice to know that everybody else did the same things for the army question...

Fruitsalad

HSC
Hmmmm the festivals question...

What I found difficult about that question was the fact
it was asking you to refer to "other sources..."

??? o_0 Other sources?? I couldn't think of any quotes that mentioned
religion or festivals...eek

cantfakeme

HSC
spangacrab said:
I am exactly Ditto.
i covered this dot-point in an assessment, u just had to basically briefly say that sparta had become a military state, 'breeding' only the fittest children to become strong warriors. and then put in some stuff about how it was their form of education, it was basically a way of lving, they ate in a syssittia and had to provide food for it or loose citizensip so it was a way of maintaining citizenship and rights as well, um what else.. theres plenty of ways u can answer that question, prettymuch everything revolved around either religion or the army! oh and i put in something about the krypteia and how they help control and stop possible helot revolts so that function of the army was to keep 'peace' in a way so they could go about the army duties.. but the question was explain the importance of the army so u needed to work that around the question and not just state the rols but say what it does and why its important for spartans to live like that.

hope that helps..! not like u can go back and redo the exam but hopefully u guys got some of this stuff too.

Thalamic Raven

HSC
omg periclean athens. i hated the "who were the metics?" - 3 marks?? - u can write about 3 PAGES on that.

then the agora...i had no idea wat a thelos was, i basically repeated "its the economic centre of Athens" for a page and i even screwed up bigtime by using macellum, FROM POMPEII, because i couldnt think of any sources or even useful greek words, "the mint" ridiculous. what should we have talked about there?

i didnt mind the acropolis part, but besides religion all i said was its good for morale, mentioned treasury of Delian League, and Pericles building prgram was in that time so i said it was important for the economy/employment etc srsly bad.

what-for?

HSC
i did sparta.

im so happy i studied religious festivals before hand. wrote about all three of the most important ones - hyakinthia, gymnopaediae, and karneia. aand because i love the movie 300 so much, i threw in a reference to king leonidas and his troops defeat because they went to war during the karneia celebration XD

for the army i wrote their roles as:
- fighting in battles
- keeping a check on the helots
- retaining their hegemony in all of greece
- maintaing leadership in Peloponnesian League
expanded on all four points of course, sources, blah blah blah.

this was my favourite section.

Ademir

HSC
festivals question for sparta was great because thats the only thing i studied properly in the entire syllabus

army question seemed dodgy but good once you get writing because facts come back

did anyone mention that they had an economic role? since their equipment made a use of sparta's resources, thus giving work to the perioikoi through gathering and production of the equipment

Lauraline xx

HSC
no... i failed to mention quite a few important things in my essays... quite a few. i just said...

"err.... women had to give birth to healthy babies... so they were trained and made physically fit.... errr..... aggoge.... err... hellots helped give the spartans time to do war stuff... men dedicated their lives to the state... errr... i really have no idea and i should have studied..."

anyone watch 300 before doing this exam?? That was my revision... big mistake.

HSC
ahen said:
yay!!!!! all you other spartiates did the same thing for army
lets hope everyone just fails the festivals question then...
hey ahen, im doing ancient history for yr 12 and were doing sparta too! Is it an interesting/hard topic? we started about a week ago and it seems all right.

:)im going to be a spartan scholar yay@!

mattwillie

Awesomely Awesome.
HSC
nadinenadine123 said:
did anyone else do periclean athens...and think...12 marks on the acropolis??????your kiddding riiight...
Hated that yer! SO should have been 8 on the acropolis and 12 on the agora! THeres so much more you can say on the agora!

duckmeister

HSC
nadinenadine123 said:
did anyone else do periclean athens...and think...12 marks on the acropolis??????your kiddding riiight...
That is EXACTLY what I thought, I mean there is really only so much you can say!!!! GRR!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)