Selective Schools aftermath (1 Viewer)

angel_belle2004

HSC
I know it may be a bit late to start the topic but there are thoughts that came across my mind recently. Its ironic as well.

I am sure that some people HAVE tried out for selective schools to get into year 11 right? Sydney Girls, St. George, Hurlstone etc.

But the selection process does seem to concern me and I'd like you to share your opinon with it as well.

~~~~~

I have applied for St. George Girls High for the first time. Handed in reports from year 7-10 and rank in the top 1 -11/100 places in all my subjects (except english) but they all set on the "B"-"A" rank. As some of you are aware that St. George doesn't have an entrance exam to get it. They judge you by the reports. When the results came out you'd think that your paperwork had much scrutiny. How I found this ironic is that why doesn't St. George have an entrance exam so that applicants from all different types of schools can be placed under a fair test. How could they make the correct judgement of the students academics from reports if everyone came from different schools. I was in doubt whether this was fair or not for a very long time. I travelled (seriously) to St. George and asked them to reconsider and to answer my doubts. Unfortunately they only accept a "straight A student" but how could they? Accept a straight A student? where an A in different schools have different meaning? To add to the inequality in testing is that every school examines their students differently I could understand that they would want a "straight A" student for our benefit to intergrate fully. Would it better to look at ranks rather than capital letters? For a person to excel it would be to beat other people of the grade not the marks they get in the test.

I don't know whether I am over-thinking or taking it to the extreme. However for a top school like St. George I am appalled. Even partially selective school recognise a student's achievement better than what the St. George principal told me.

I do hope that you would share your doubts or maybe critise this post. However public opinon in this tread is utmost encouraged.

Have a good day~~! ^___^

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yes, its not fair.
Some schools don't have the time/people to look over the many applicants they get and you have to consider that.
Plus, other students may have just been better than you, but even if they weren't as i said they probably don't have that much time to spend doing that stuff, and even IF you were better than another student...it probably wouldn't have been by THAT much and they wudn't have cared to be honest.

So i'm sorry. its just the way it is. bad luck =(

riya03

HSC
I believe it depends purely on luck and also on the selection committee of that school.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yes it's terribly unfair. at least fort street is not like that..

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I know it may be a bit late to start the topic but there are thoughts that came across my mind recently. Its ironic as well.

I am sure that some people HAVE tried out for selective schools to get into year 11 right? Sydney Girls, St. George, Hurlstone etc.

But the selection process does seem to concern me and I'd like you to share your opinon with it as well.

~~~~~

I have applied for St. George Girls High for the first time. Handed in reports from year 7-10 and rank in the top 1 -11/100 places in all my subjects (except english) but they all set on the "B"-"A" rank. As some of you are aware that St. George doesn't have an entrance exam to get it. They judge you by the reports. When the results came out you'd think that your paperwork had much scrutiny. How I found this ironic is that why doesn't St. George have an entrance exam so that applicants from all different types of schools can be placed under a fair test. How could they make the correct judgement of the students academics from reports if everyone came from different schools. I was in doubt whether this was fair or not for a very long time. I travelled (seriously) to St. George and asked them to reconsider and to answer my doubts. Unfortunately they only accept a "straight A student" but how could they? Accept a straight A student? where an A in different schools have different meaning? To add to the inequality in testing is that every school examines their students differently I could understand that they would want a "straight A" student for our benefit to intergrate fully. Would it better to look at ranks rather than capital letters? For a person to excel it would be to beat other people of the grade not the marks they get in the test.

I don't know whether I am over-thinking or taking it to the extreme. However for a top school like St. George I am appalled. Even partially selective school recognise a student's achievement better than what the St. George principal told me.

I do hope that you would share your doubts or maybe critise this post. However public opinon in this tread is utmost encouraged.

Have a good day~~! ^___^
It's called discrepancies, an "A" at a selective school is different to an "A" at a mediocre school. From the school's perspective, a student from a selective school. who happens to be ranked <20 in their respective subjects, will be considered over a student that goes to a mediocre school that happens to be ranked <3 in their respective subjects due to the competitive nature of the selective school. Evident in the HSC, the top schools are selective.

Its unfair, to a degree but thats life. The trial test should be mandatory but the report will still be a significant factor. You can still achieve your best at your comprehensive or partially selective high school.

From my knowledge, I believe that quite a few students from Macquaire Fields received a provissional offer from Hurlstone. St George Girls might of also considered other factors such as proximity to the school and family placement claims.

Good luck. Try again next year.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
yes it's terribly unfair. at least fort street is not like that..
The Fort Street test was arduous and a majority of students that tried out were from partially selective schools and private schools.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

~~~~~

Have a good day~~! ^___^
In the School Certificate, attempt to get all Band 6 and >95 and demand to talk to the Principal of St George Girls. :)

angel_belle2004

HSC
Thanks so much for all of your opinons, I feel much at ease.

I got into Macquarie fields (selective) but i must apologise that my thoughts were derived from my arrogance.

I think its true... regardless of what school you go to acheive high in SC and HSC to prove selective students that you can achieve greater.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Thanks so much for all of your opinons, I feel much at ease.

I got into Macquarie fields (selective) but i must apologise that my thoughts were derived from my arrogance.

I think its true... regardless of what school you go to acheive high in SC and HSC to prove selective students that you can achieve greater.
Congratulations, though Macquarie Fields community and selective is not differentiated in Year 11/12. That is true - work your butt off and you will get the good marks. Around 3 people get above 99 at Macquarie Fields, with 30 getting above 90. The average UAI is around 77 (counting in the communities). With selective, I think you'll find an average of around 80. Good luck :D

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Getting into selective school is really a test of everything such as luck, academic, co-curicular activities etc.

I've a friend who got into St. George girls not because of her academic results, but of her excellent co-curicular activities. That's all. Lolz.
exactly.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
You should have thought about your choices thoroughly. I predicted the dilemma your 'were\are' in, and hence refrained from applying to schools without any entrance exam. Schools highly demean your report based on your school and so your highly disadvantaged if in a low ranked one.
Apply to schools with entrance tests next time.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Yea...if you want school's with entrance exam you should try Fort Street, Girraween or North Sydney.
They're all equally good schools.
lol no there not.
North Sydney Girls is usually in the top 5 whereas Fort street and Girra barely make it in the top 20ish.
lmao. i did exactly what you said. (applied Fort, girra, NSBH) Did you do so as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)