• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

selective schools test (1 Viewer)

xotic_rose

does any1 have any links or advice for my cuz who is doing the selective schools' test tomorrow?? I did it, but I don't think what I say is enough...
please help... :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
psht that was so long ago :(

Just tell him to read the question, have an early night and all the usual garbage heh.

santaslayer

HSC
Your Cousin should of gone to those selective test coaching centres, they really help. :)

But since it's too late, then yes, tell him/her to have a good nights sleep[ and have a big breakfeast. :uhhuh:

astro

HSC
when i received the letter saying that i was rejected i actually cried.....those were pathetic days...and i thought it was the end of the world......little did i know back in my naive yr 6 days that therr are bigger fish to fry

mack

Banned
HSC
I got straight into one, So i can offer advice.

1.Good nights sleep
2.Fruit and/or cereal for breakfast
3.Read the question very carefully, and make sure your cuz fills in the correct multiple choice circle( Someone from my primary school skipped a circle and screwed up the entire test)
4.Dont go to the toilet, every second is crucial.

I went to coaching and worked from two books, called selective school and scholarship preparation by james smith and two other dudes who i cant remember....

And in the worst case scenario, if your cuz is not succesful, stress the fact that this has little bearing on the rest of their life. The HSC is what is most important. Many people from low ranked schools perform brilliantly in the HSC and many at selective schools bomb out.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I got straight in without coaching or any of that crap. Here's what you do - be me. Failing that, get as little sleep as possible, rock up late and make sure you answer all the questions.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by mack
I got straight into one, So i can offer advice.
I'm sure the majority of people offering advice did :rolleyes:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by mack
Many people from low ranked schools perform brilliantly in the HSC and many at selective schools bomb out.
Nice sweeping generalisation :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Many at selective schools "bomb out" and attain a measly UAI of about 97 as opposed to 99+, whereas people at low ranked schools "perform brilliantly" and achieve a UAI of 85.

It's all relative.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
Many at selective schools "bomb out" and attain a measly UAI of about 97 as opposed to 99+
*shudders*

mack

Banned
HSC
Every year at my school we get some shockers, not 97,more like in the 30s...which proves the point selective schools do nothing if youre not going to work.. And i also know a few people who have gotten 97+ despite going to a school below 400.

mack

Banned
HSC
Its only one or two students at most who do absolutely nothing and have no intentions of going to university. I think i gave the wrong impression in that post when i said "a few"

is a roflcopter
HSC
hehe selective...
my brothers got OC test in 2 months :D
OC > selective

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
It seems like a big deal but i know a few people who went to selective schools (Guess I could have too then), and they had no coaching or anything.

It shouldn't really be on how well your coached, but rather your own, unprepared intelligence, to keep it fair.

Igor

HSC
N/A
i went to a selective school (in Newcastle) from yrs 7 to 10.

got straight in and all that jazz, no tutoring etc.

from day one i knew i wanted to be elsewhere. for 4 years i sat in the back of the classroom listening to the teachers harp on about the pressure of the HSC and how important the hsc is to the future.
this school was strong on science and maths scores, and i wasn't.
maths is not my subject, never was, so i didn't do too good in the maths classes. i needed a standard class and all the school ran were advanced classes. Badness.
Englich, history and science i was good at, but because of my maths scores i was given 'academic warnings' adn had teachers telling me that i didn't deserve to be at that school.

in the in dissapered. after i got the school certificate i walked out of the school and never looked back. my parents were angry with me, so i went away for a bit.
i went to work for two years, full time, got some life experience, rebuilt my 'self-respect' and worked out what it was i wanted to do with my life.

in the end I returned to school. I'm 19, and I'm a year 11 student. i'll be 20 when i complete the HSC.
AND i'm at a normal, streamline, government school. I like it, i should have started at that school.

selective schools are fine, as long as they stick with the idea that the smart kis go there to learn with other smart kids, not to become elietist students who *need* a 98+ UAI.

85+ is a fantastic UAI, 99+ is genius.

anyonw who wants to go to a selective school has my full support, any one who wants to get out of one also hs my full support.
it doesn't matter what school you go to, if you want to do well you will. if you want to get a 99+ and you work hard for it, you will probably get it. regardless of what schoo, you go to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)