• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

selective schools test (2 Viewers)

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
Ah, yes, the joys of starting OC not knowing how to do long multiplication when everyone else in the class can.

I went to OC (my parents forced me cos I had 1 friend at my first primary school), and I made it to Selective straight up. I don't study, or do homework, therefore I do badly in tests, etc. Selective kiddies are not all smart. Some of us are dumber than the average bear. I hate it how my friends who didn't go to selective think I'm some smartass cos of the school I go to. That's rubbish.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
went to a comprehensive high school.. got bored too easily..
so transferred.. in yr 11.... neo_o's in fact

i liked it.. was hard ....
then finished.. my best mates are still from there..

i goto uni with a couple of selective school kids.. SOME ARE wayyyy too sheltered :|.. others are kewl cos they dun want to be the stereotype.. n they are the smart good lookin ones who cook n still give a competent physical exam ;)

yr 6 is a stupid year to put a selective school exam.. i think.. sif it would matter to them? all the smart kids are in comprehensive high schools..in my opinion they hav to work the hardest to get their marks..

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
When you say all the smart kids are in comprehensive schools - what do you mean? They have to work harder for their marks:confused: Are you saying that attending a selective high gives students benefits, so it isn't fair to compare with comprehensive?
I think that most of the people that sit the selective tests do so for their parents. There is definitely no peer pressure to go to selective schools in year 6 (to the best of my recollection)

So +Po1ntDeXt3r+ how did you find Ruse students? Are most of them self driven and talented or is it - parental influence... :p I don't believe for a moment that they're not all nerds... What sort of physical test?????? Do you consider the maths comp. a physical test?

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by toryn
Ah, yes, the joys of starting OC not knowing how to do long multiplication when everyone else in the class can.

I went to OC (my parents forced me cos I had 1 friend at my first primary school), and I made it to Selective straight up. I don't study, or do homework, therefore I do badly in tests, etc. Selective kiddies are not all smart. Some of us are dumber than the average bear. I hate it how my friends who didn't go to selective think I'm some smartass cos of the school I go to. That's rubbish.
Indeed. Just because we managed to answer a bunch of multiple choice questions (comes down to 50/50 in the end) ie)
cat is to rat as dog is to
a)cat
b)bird
c) little old lady
d) dog food
.... doesn't mean we're all that smart. I'm sure people who go to selective high schools can back me up in this: there are so many people at our school who are so incredibly stupid. They don't do well at school, they have no common sense. They're the ones who drew patterns in the multiple choice test. We also have some of the brightest people. But most of us are just plain average.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I would have answered dog food :p

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Yeah, but that was part of the 50/50 :p
I could include you in the stupid list, but that would be nasty.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
When you say all the smart kids are in comprehensive schools - what do you mean? They have to work harder for their marks:confused: Are you saying that attending a selective high gives students benefits, so it isn't fair to compare with comprehensive?
I think that most of the people that sit the selective tests do so for their parents. There is definitely no peer pressure to go to selective schools in year 6 (to the best of my recollection)

So +Po1ntDeXt3r+ how did you find Ruse students? Are most of them self driven and talented or is it - parental influence... :p I don't believe for a moment that they're not all nerds... What sort of physical test?????? Do you consider the maths comp. a physical test?
yep sum ppl in selective schools think that the 'scaling' will bring them up... its only lik a few pts at the high end..
i think selective schools are good..foster good environment for learning.. but if the parents force it or become pts-driven.. the system will lose its normal competitiveness and make kids hate school.. i liked learning not everyone does.. thats wat comprehensive schools are for.. to learn all the skills n tats very beneficial ~

Ruse kids are a bit of all the things u mentioned.. neo_o seems self driven.... ruse is fairly normal.. :)

i was talking bout giving medical physical test.. like practical skills.. which are hard to learn

Originally posted by neo_O
A guy i know at Ruse got 40 last year.. *shrugs*
Who the hell was that??? cos i thought he got higher..

Plebeian

I made it into selective, I agree with +Po1ntDeXt3r+ about selective schools creating a good environment for learning.

No-one at my selective school (teachers etc.) ever say what sort of UAI you should be expecting or make you feel that you will have failed if you don't get 95+, it's just that most selective students have the potential to be getting mid-upper 90s marks. In that sense they will have failed to reach their full potential if they don't get that, but then again that's their decision if they don't want it and don't need it for whatever they want to do.

This should probably go somewhere else but I think the whole ranking system makes school more competitive than any selective environment. Teachers in junior years always tell you to "try your best" and just "improve your personal best" and then in Year 12 we're suddenly always competing against everyone else and your personal best isn't good enough any more. I'm lucky that I get good enough marks to be at the top of ranking lists but I know I'd get depressed if I was one of the guys at the bottom, who really have no right to feel so bad - being ranked low at a selective school is not as much of a problem - but it's a difficult psychological barrier to overcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)