• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

selective schools (1 Viewer)

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Does changing into a selective school in year 11 help me to perform better in HSC?
A selective school has an environment in which most students are aiming for high ATAR's. This encourages competition and so fosters high results for all, and in doing so increasing the rank of the school.

The advantages would be:

1) This competitive environment. Note: Selective schools don't neccessarily mean that this competition is such that friends will backstab each other to get ahead. It was quite the opposite at our school (Girraween High) where we all helped each other out, explained concepts to our friends and shared notes freely.

2). If the cohort does well then your results will be moderated higher. This basically means that if the cohort does well in the hsc then your school results will be pulled up (as according to the state standard your school exams were harder.) This is done in mathematical terms based on statistics but the above pretty much explains it.

Disadv:

1). You'd be moving away from your school in which you have developed friendships with your peers and teachers.
- This would mean losing support networks which would help you manage your stress levels through the hsc and keep you motivated. However, students who arrived in yr 11 at our school developed great friendships and fitted in really well. Academically they performed extremely good as well.

2). Let us say your current school tests are easy for you and you are passing by with flying colours. If your cohort does well in the hsc then you have nothing to worry about. However, if you feel that if you had harder tests and could still perform well then in a selective school you may recieve just that. If you perform well there then that means you are doing harder tests and doing well and so because of a better cohort (translates into harder tests) you will have a higher atar. The risk is, will you be by going into a stronger cohort (harder assesments) be able to perform at a level which exceeds you being first/top in a school with easier assesments.

In the end, there is no harm in trying so go for it. If any one is looking for entry into selective schools which use the ACER based HAST test (such Girraween High School) I will soon be holding tutoring. If you have an queries feel free to email me and I'll give you a run down of what I am offering and my teaching goals/strategy.

Hope everyone does well! Good Luck

adriano_negr0

HSC
yer tbh my selective school (MHS) is pretty shithous, especially with some of the teachers. Ns about sydney schools but they might be abit different, but i think it relies on yourself to be commited and put in the effort :D

Eating cookies

HSC
i'm changing to a selective school nxt year =) I think it will be good to have a change of atmosphere and it will be really motivating =) I'm looking forward to it ^^
I changed at the beginning of year 11 into a selective high (Penrith) and it was one of the best things i did. I wasnt teased for being smart and the teaching methods are less aimed towards the board at the front and more towards class discussion and learning from each other.

martinc

HSC
Atmosphere is definitely worth it. You'll think you're doing fantastic at some public schools, by coming first in all your subjects.. but then the change to a selective school.. you need up being in the middle, which really motivates you to reach your potential.

Kittikhun

HSC
If you can't study and don't feel motivated at your current school move. I had just moved schools in Week 4 of this term and I am regretting my decision to not have moved earlier. The school atmosphere is way better and the competition just pushes to me to reach my full potential. At my old school I didn't really feel like that since the school's ambiance was pretty tense and stiff. By moving, I also knew who my true friends were. Also, in the end, you're probably not going to remain in contact with 90% of your friends that you had while doing your HSC so be selfish for once in your life and take the risk, if you think the rewards and your happiness in life will be realised by studying at a new school.

lil-chilean

HSC
i think it would cause the standards are so much better than like a normal school

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
I changed at the beginning of year 11 into a selective high (Penrith) and it was one of the best things i did. I wasnt teased for being smart and the teaching methods are less aimed towards the board at the front and more towards class discussion and learning from each other.
this was my experience also.

elmoateme

HSC
Generally the kids are more motivated, so it means you are more motivated too. However, if your the type of kid that can't stand being beaten and gets disheartened if you are beaten, then ATAR wise don't go. That said, if you are that kid you probably should go to kick some sense into you.

Essentially it depends on what you think of your current school, if you feel your being limited by you classes, or distracted then a selective school will probably be better for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)