Selective schools? (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

acmilan1987 said:
I would never attend a selective school despite all my teachers telling me i should go. My private non selective school is fun and i love the take it easy atmosphere we have. Wouldnt trade it for the world. And for the teacher debate, we have excellent teachers, most mark HSC and write or supervise the CSSA trial and work on the HSC advice line
i go to a non-selective private school and the competition is still pretty strong. one teacher suggested i possibly go to a selective school for more of an opportunity to excel. however, i think my ranks would probably drop, and i might be worse off. so, overall, i'm pretty happy with my school right now and i don't really have any regrets about not going to a selective school.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
in addition selective schools get better teachers
That's not true. I had a pathetic maths teacher in year 8. She knew the content but she had no teaching ability at all. She then got a job at Ruse...but then she got fired. I've had other pathetic teachers too. To teach at a selective school, all you have to do is put your name on a waiting list. It doesn't necessarily mean you are a better teacher.

fruitbonbon17

there's really no point in going to a selective high school from years 7-10 because, well lets face it years 7-10 count for absolutely nothing. but in year 11 & 12, i think you appreciate being in an environment with other people who also expect to do really well in the hsc a lot more. also, because there's a lot more competition, you have a much better idea of what you're up against, as opposed to normal schools where teachers give you full marks just for being able to string a sentence together (ok calm down , i know im exaggerating but im just trying to illustrate my point) having said that though, if you really want to do well in the hsc, it shouldn't matter which school you go to.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
fruitbonbon17 said:
there's really no point in going to a selective high school from years 7-10 because, well lets face it years 7-10 count for absolutely nothing. but in year 11 & 12, i think you appreciate being in an environment with other people who also expect to do really well in the hsc a lot more. also, because there's a lot more competition, you have a much better idea of what you're up against, as opposed to normal schools where teachers give you full marks just for being able to string a sentence together (ok calm down , i know im exaggerating but im just trying to illustrate my point) having said that though, if you really want to do well in the hsc, it shouldn't matter which school you go to.
if your going to go for 11-12 might as well go for the other years too....

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
pcx_demolition017 said:
i go to a non-selective private school and the competition is still pretty strong. one teacher suggested i possibly go to a selective school for more of an opportunity to excel. however, i think my ranks would probably drop, and i might be worse off. so, overall, i'm pretty happy with my school right now and i don't really have any regrets about not going to a selective school.
Your ranks would drop, but the overall calibre of the students is much higher, therefore you wouldnt really be worse off. Plus you would be pushed much harder. Sorry i dont have a new list, but for example Pius is around ~80, say if you went to NSB which rank is around ~7 you would be pushed much harder. Surely your ranks would go down, but remember it is a selective school. But then again, no matter which school you are in, if you work hard, youll get the marks. Suppose its a matter of personal preference.

kpq_sniper017

wrx said:
Your ranks would drop, but the overall calibre of the students is much higher, therefore you wouldnt really be worse off. Plus you would be pushed much harder. Sorry i dont have a new list, but for example Pius is around ~80, say if you went to NSB which rank is around ~7 you would be pushed much harder. Surely your ranks would go down, but remember it is a selective school. But then again, no matter which school you are in, if you work hard, youll get the marks. Suppose its a matter of personal preference.
i always push myself as hard as i can....even at pius. i've got some pretty good competition, despite it being a non-selective school. however, there are probably only about 5 people who give a lot of competition in each subject (currently). the rest are good, and they're close behind but they're likely to catch up unless i also study even harder than i have recently.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
pcx_demolition017 said:
i always push myself as hard as i can....even at pius. i've got some pretty good competition, despite it being a non-selective school. however, there are probably only about 5 people who give a lot of competition in each subject (currently). the rest are good, and they're close behind but they're likely to catch up unless i also study even harder than i have recently.

hey do u noe adolfo/alonso?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I have to agree that it's utter BS that being at a selective school means you have better teachers. In 5 years, I've had my share of the good and the bad. It's like saying everyone at a selective school is a nerd who wears glasses.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Bad teachers are everywhere. Good teachers are everywhere. this is a simple enough concept. It is not even a generalisation, it's true. i just don't undertsand why people can't get their heads around it :confused:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
pcx_demolition017 said:
Yeah, im not saying that pius doesnt have competition, but i suppose every bit helps when you do your hsc. My friend, u might know him, Josh, left Pius cos he said it was a bad environment to work in, and went to a selective school. But i dont think he was that a good a student?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Sarah168 said:
Bad teachers are everywhere. Good teachers are everywhere. this is a simple enough concept. It is not even a generalisation, it's true. i just don't undertsand why people can't get their heads around it :confused:
well, exactly. that's what i was trying to say... with personal example :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Yeah, I was just agreeing with you...and errr expressing my confusion :p

kpq_sniper017

wrx said:
Yeah, im not saying that pius doesnt have competition, but i suppose every bit helps when you do your hsc. My friend, u might know him, Josh, left Pius cos he said it was a bad environment to work in, and went to a selective school. But i dont think he was that a good a student?
josh who?
i know/knew a few joshes at my school.
true that selective schools do give competition. however, i think it also puts more stress on students (particularly for those who don't work well under pressure - they shouldn't really be there anyway).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
mack said:
No, I go to a very able school. Last year our school got over 250 band 6s. The teachers are lazy and unhelpful, and they know the kids will work hard because they want to do well, so theres no need to teach really. Most of them are old and have been there before the school became selective, and they wont leave because teaching smart kids who rarely misbehave must be a breeze.

You believe that the students got those 250 band 6's on their own?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you have a bad teacher there are plenty of other ways to get through, or excel.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
pcx_demolition017 said:
yea, i did know adolfo and alonso - they left in yr8 from memory.
u go to school with them?? or do u just know them?

I went to school with them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)