Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

i want all my assignment marks back meow plz :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: If this thread gets to 300,000 posts I will bake BOS a nice cake.

A High Way Man said:
i went to redeemer baptist college with rafy
:confused:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: If this thread gets to 300,000 posts I will bake BOS a nice cake.

Still tossing up between YL Branch meeting or Malcolm.

Probally go with the latter.

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
Yep, certainly. I got the UoS outline and it looked very interesting. My one concern is that it used to be a postgrad course, though.

Unit description
Consumption and consumer society have increasingly become the key cultural and economic terms for describing late capitalist and post-industrial society. In the past they were laden with mainly negative connotations. In this unit we will be concerned with understanding various facets of life within consumer society, which is held together by media and culture. We will examine the functions and the impacts of consumption. We will be interested in how consumption might be linked to more ethical modes of living together locally and in a global network.

The initial focus will be on understanding key ideas about what consumption means, and to whom. Our particular interest will be on how consumer society impacts upon gender, generation as well as ethnicity. What will happen (or rather, what is now happening) in developing countries as women become better educated and have relatively more disposable income? As we’ll see, changes in the population demographics of huge countries such as China or India will bring profound changes to how we understand consumption practices. Consumption is not limited to shopping – or at least in the sense we normally have of that activity. As we will read later, the one child policy in China is making education a priority for urban girls as well as boys. How will changes in education and in income affect the Asia-Pacific region, and traditional ways of understanding the North-South divide?
Awesome! I've had a look at a few Gender subjects and alot of them seem relevant to media and marketing, I might have a closer look at some.

P.S. any take home exams?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

the uos outline had a 6,000 word essay :p she said she's changing all the assessments to be more suitable for u/grads. so, no clue if there'll be a take-home. i hope so.

be wary though that the view on media and marketing most gender studies will have, is that of sexist forces, trying to kill everyone. or something like that.

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
the uos outline had a 6,000 word essay :p she said she's changing all the assessments to be more suitable for u/grads. so, no clue if there'll be a take-home. i hope so.

be wary though that the view on media and marketing most gender studies will have, is that of sexist forces, trying to kill everyone. or something like that.
HAHA yeah. 'Men control the media, and with that POWER want to ENSLAVE women as their personal sex whores!'

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I can't wait to share my own personal case studies about how Pantene, for example, has increased the self-confidence of women in India, helping them take charge of their lives and even in their jobs. Generally capitalism and consumerism has had that effect on women in India: they've gone from traditional 'housewife' roles to working mother roles.

HSC

It is possible to be pro-consumption in left-wing circles. As long as you position yourselves in opposition to the Frankfurt School (which I'm thinking Annette would have told you about), and go through postmodern theory. If you go through neoclassical economics to show that consumption is good, you will be eaten alive :)

Edit: I've spent the last two hours rewriting the same paragraph over and over again, but it still isn't finished :( v. much a wasted afternoon.

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
I can't wait to share my own personal case studies about how Pantene, for example, has increased the self-confidence of women in India, helping them take charge of their lives and even in their jobs. Generally capitalism and consumerism has had that effect on women in India: they've gone from traditional 'housewife' roles to working mother roles.
I think that would only apply to city folk and those in the upper classes. Doesn't India have a strict Caste system?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

stazi said:
Nono: gone from traditional housewife roles to slaves in tea fields.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

amber44 said:
I think that would only apply to city folk and those in the upper classes. Doesn't India have a strict Caste system?
speaking to people from india, it's really not that strict anymore. those changes are primarily only happening for middle and upper classes, but still, the changes are happening as industry develops. of course, the changes do also apply to the major cities, as the country is so vast, and it will take rural areas a long time to catch up, where many people haven't even seen a TV

as much as we hate indian call centre workers, call centres have created heaps of well-paying jobs (relatively speaking).

ledzeppelin

HSC

So good to get Finance finally finished
Almost done for the semester now :)

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Do a chem subject! You can do em in arts. :D
eww chem. i only did the poor man's science at school (aka bio), plus i think you get lab hours. i dont want to be at uni for any longer time than necessary. :(

can't wait till the semester is over. :)

CurlyRuby

HSC

Worst day EVER. My sister 'borrowed' my car without asking so i had to get a bus to the station. Stupid bus was LATE so i missed my first train, had to get on a later one for my 11 o clock lecture, freaking got to redfern and ten past 11, fell down the stairs rushing to class and twisted my ankle so never got to my class ANYWAY and now my ankle is all scratched and swollen and throbbing and it hurts from limping around all day.
/end rant.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

Sorry Ruby! :( I feel really bad for you now. Tell me which set of stairs you fell on and I'll step on it for you. :vcross:

And maybe you shouldn't go to uni until your ankle feels better?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Worst day EVER. My sister 'borrowed' my car without asking so i had to get a bus to the station. Stupid bus was LATE so i missed my first train, had to get on a later one for my 11 o clock lecture, freaking got to redfern and ten past 11, fell down the stairs rushing to class and twisted my ankle so never got to my class ANYWAY and now my ankle is all scratched and swollen and throbbing and it hurts from limping around all day.
/end rant.[/QUOTE]
my penis is also throbbing.

and only fat people have sore ankles

CurlyRuby

HSC

stazi said:
and only fat people have sore ankles

I hate you Stazi.
Thanks Jay, you're a doll...it was the ones near the chemistry building :(
My ankle is all kinds of amazing shades of purple and red and black right now...I dunno if i'm going to go to uni or not...I really can't afford to miss classes this close to exams but shiteeee it hurts :( :(
Sorry for the whinging.

CurlyRuby

HSC

JFK said:
does your ankle need a massage?

i have magic hands.
Yus pleasssse. It hurts a lot a lot. Actually maybe it doesn't need a massage...whenever I touch it it just hurts loads. Maybe I should go to the doc about it.

Or I could just toughen the heck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)