Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

....?? more like gender/cultural studies, noob.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

yeah sorry stas. :( i just saw it on the departments site. plus you usually do commerce related subjects!

anyway, i think i can take intimacy love and friendship! :) i most probably will if i can. yay! excited! :)

HSC

In my experience, gender studies units are disappointing. They look really fun and interesting, and then they're not :(

Although I've only done two GCST units so I'm not necessarily the best person to advise...

stazi

Nightman
HSC

i'd be scared of doing gender studies if you're not gay, lez or a raging lesbian, btw.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

stazi said:
i'd be scared of doing gender studies if you're not gay, lez or a raging lesbian, btw.
haha i know, right?

"I have moderate views!"
*homosexuals attack you*

HSC

stazi said:
I'm gay, but I still found GCST, Judith Butler and co. scary. Too much binary destabliisation for my indigestion to manage

also, whats the difference between a lez and a raging lesbian? :<

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Silver Persian said:
I'm gay, but I still found GCST, Judith Butler and co. scary. Too much binary destabliisation for my indigestion to manage

also, whats the difference between a lez and a raging lesbian? :<
oh lolz. i meant raging feminist.

and success. i knew you were gay when you said you were doing gcst

edit: have you taken consumer cultures?

HSC

stazi said:
oh lolz. i meant raging feminist.

and success. i knew you were gay when you said you were doing gcst

edit: have you taken consumer cultures?
nope :( I was thinking about taking it this year, but it clashes with something I have to do for sociology honours.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

I'm not a raging feminist but my sexuality is pretty much up in the air. Either way, I'm going to take it next semester. Hey, at least I'll meet interesting people right?

Ruby, the intimacy, love and frienship one goes like this:
"This unit examines the representation and practices of intimate relations focusing especially on the intersection between intimacy and the constructions of gender. Divided into three sections, the unit will examine theories of love and friendship, contemporary cultural representations of love, desire and friendship (especially in film and literature), and the ethics and politics of erotics. It will question the division between erotic love and Platonic love, examine the new technologies of erotics, and discuss the implications for gender and sexuality."

kokodamonkey

HSC

i dont know why but i have preconceived notions about people that do gender studies.. i dont tend to trust them/consider them umm.. can't really think of the word for it. but maybe you'll get what im on about, or maybe you won't.

HSC

kokodamonkey said:
i dont know why but i have preconceived notions about people that do gender studies.. i dont tend to trust them/consider them umm.. can't really think of the word for it. but maybe you'll get what im on about, or maybe you won't.
U R A HOMOHPOBIC RASCIST NAZI FARSCIST

Also, there was one straight male in my GCST tutorial.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

oi Waf, i dare you to propose a motion for Affirmative Action towards Liberals who have previously had a hard time being elected, and just totally use the exact same reasoning as that used for female AA

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

You have to submit motions more than 2 weeks before the AGM though.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Silver Persian said:
nope :( I was thinking about taking it this year, but it clashes with something I have to do for sociology honours.
I'm very excited about it, actually. Hopefully I don't get murdered for my pro-consumerist views

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

well, dang, i dare you to raise it as an idea for discussion at the AGM.

AA is a joke. if you want to rectify past inequality you should be encouraging, supporting and giving skills to those who want to run/apply, but not just giving them positions willy nilly

amber44

HSC

stazi said:
I'm very excited about it, actually. Hopefully I don't get murdered for my pro-consumerist views
Are you thinking of taking it next semester?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

jayodore said:
Recommend an interesting and relatively easy arts subject for me to do next semester. I'm planning to transfer out of anthropology. I'd prefer something like gender studies too, but I don't think there really is anything.
Do a chem subject! You can do em in arts. :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC

amber44 said:
Are you thinking of taking it next semester?
Yep, certainly. I got the UoS outline and it looked very interesting. My one concern is that it used to be a postgrad course, though.

Unit description
Consumption and consumer society have increasingly become the key cultural and economic terms for describing late capitalist and post-industrial society. In the past they were laden with mainly negative connotations. In this unit we will be concerned with understanding various facets of life within consumer society, which is held together by media and culture. We will examine the functions and the impacts of consumption. We will be interested in how consumption might be linked to more ethical modes of living together locally and in a global network.

The initial focus will be on understanding key ideas about what consumption means, and to whom. Our particular interest will be on how consumer society impacts upon gender, generation as well as ethnicity. What will happen (or rather, what is now happening) in developing countries as women become better educated and have relatively more disposable income? As we’ll see, changes in the population demographics of huge countries such as China or India will bring profound changes to how we understand consumption practices. Consumption is not limited to shopping – or at least in the sense we normally have of that activity. As we will read later, the one child policy in China is making education a priority for urban girls as well as boys. How will changes in education and in income affect the Asia-Pacific region, and traditional ways of understanding the North-South divide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)