Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

2. Imagine that you are in a lifeboat that is overloaded. In order to save the lives of the people already on board, you prevent other drowning people from clambering aboard by bashing their grasping hands with an oar. Should you feel regretful, remorseful, ashamed or guilty about your action? Should you have those emotional responses because they are apt, or because they are useful, or both?
You should feel regretful because you could have used their carcasses to keep warm/for food - Seriously write your essay along the lines of this basic premise.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
Then:

Part A:

2. Imagine that you are in a lifeboat that is overloaded. In order to save the lives of the people already on board, you prevent other drowning people from clambering aboard by bashing their grasping hands with an oar. Should you feel regretful, remorseful, ashamed or guilty about your action? Should you have those emotional responses because they are apt, or because they are useful, or both?

Part B:

5. Is there a necessary connection between sincerely judging that some act (e.g. giving money to charity) is right and being motivated to do it?
2. No.

HSC

Here are all of them:

PART A:
1. Why does Kant claim that love cannot be commanded? If Kant is right about this, does it follow that we have no obligations to love other people, and does it follow that emotions like love cannot be morally evaluated?
3. Is Aristotle right to claim that we are habituated into virtue? Or are moral judgment and moral behaviour the product of natural selection?
4. What assumptions does Nietzsche make about the relationship between Christian/Enlightenment morality and self-interest? Are those assumptions warranted?

PART B:
5. Is there a necessary connection between sincerely judging that some act (e.g. giving money to charity) is right and being motivated to do it?
6. Which theory in metaethics do you think is correct? Explain why you think it is more plausible than the other options.
7. What does Mackie think would be queer about objective moral values? Is Mackie right that we shouldnt believe in such queer things? (In answering the second part of the question you might consider whether Mackies style of argument would equally give us a reason against believing in principles of logical reasoning such as modus ponens.)
8. Is it plausible to think that when we make moral claims were not even trying to say something true as non-cognitivists such as Ayer claim?
9. What is the difference between simple and sophisticated subjectivism? Is either view plausible?
10. What is the difference between the realist and the relativist versions of ideal conditions subjectivism? Is Smith right to be confident that the realist version will win out?

Enteebee, that's awesome, except my German tutor will fail me for it, he's pretty narrowminded. :( (it's worth 50%, but I'd get marks for thinking outside of the box)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

Enteebee, that's awesome, except my German tutor will fail me for it, he's pretty narrowminded.
Um how can he fail you if you present cogent response which logically follows from your own well-justified morality. Just because it makes you amoral to most people doesn't mean it's something you should be failed on...

What if people die because you didn't cut the other ones up into warm jackets? Seems quite monsterous to me to let a perfectly good human go to waste in the ocean (if you're quite certain they will perish) and not even utilise them to do some good in the world.

HSC

Enteebee said:
Um how can he fail you if you present cogent response which logically follows from your own well-justified morality. Just because it makes you amoral to most people doesn't mean it's something you should be failed on...

What if people die because you didn't cut the other ones up into warm jackets? Seems quite monsterous to me to let a perfectly good human go to waste in the ocean (if you're quite certain they will perish) and not even utilise them to do some good in the world.
I totally agree.

But you don't know my tutor. He basically doesn't like something unless it's what he thinks too and is worded just the way he likes it.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
I totally agree.

But you don't know my tutor. He basically doesn't like something unless it's what he thinks too and is worded just the way he likes it.
Write that it's immoral because by not allowing the drowning to clamour onto the boats less people are likely to die and life is nothing but pain.

HSC

Enteebee said:
Write that it's immoral because by not allowing the drowning to clamour onto the boats less people are likely to die and life is nothing but pain.
I'd like something a little more optimistic, but thanks man. I love your view of morality.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Haha you marked the date in your diary and waited, didn't you?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

scarybunny said:
Haha you marked the date in your diary and waited, didn't you?
No, we were discussing this on msn. He called you "a cockwolf" and I went back and searched, did the maths and it added up.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Haha well that's something I've never been called before.

I may have to learn to keep the hormones to myself.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Or just stay off bos when there's a full moon.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

omg euro 2008 kicks off soon.

so do iraq v australia

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

withoutaface said:
Or just stay off bos when there's a full moon.
Is it just strange because I'm doing it? Because everyone else always gets away with it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

scarybunny said:
Is it just strange because I'm doing it? Because everyone else always gets away with it.
You're a primary school teacher, you're not allowed to be indecent.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Aha.

Knew I should have done engineering. Then I could be as lewd as I want to.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah but then you couldn't be female.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Oh Ziggy, will you ever win?

=(

amber44

HSC

Is that really you in the sig withoutaface?

CurlyRuby

HSC

amber44 said:
Is that really you in the sig withoutaface?
That poor, poor, unattractive girl is getting her face splashed all over the NS forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)