Semester 1 Chatter Thread (2008) (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter Thread

4 in a row, so far. Someone write a letter about me to next week's :D

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A

haha shit, i will

"Just writing in to make sure we get our weekly quota of Justin Simon's latest deeds. Keep them coming thanks!"

ledzeppelin

HSC

I've been working since 11 on this one question in my finance assignment, and I've finally got the calculation right

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

hey guys, can we only take gender studies in our second year?
or can we take it as long as we've satisfied all the prereqs? :confused:

Edit: Nevermind, I'm pretty sure we can only take it in 2nd year. :(

neafoo

HSC

fuck
my computer is ruined. refuses to turn on most of the time... only stays on for like 5minutes at a time.
Wonder how i'll write my assignments this time ;(

stazi

Nightman
HSC

neafoo said:
fuck
my computer is ruined. refuses to turn on most of the time... only stays on for like 5minutes at a time.
Wonder how i'll write my assignments this time ;(
hardware problem or virus problem? how does it turn off? just suddenly, or does it shut down?

it may simply be a problem with your PSU: you can get a replacement one for cheap. They're quite easy to install

neafoo

HSC

stazi said:
hardware problem or virus problem? how does it turn off? just suddenly, or does it shut down?

it may simply be a problem with your PSU: you can get a replacement one for cheap. They're quite easy to install
Considering the weird noises it makes sometimes im guessing hardware. It's not the hdd, ram or video card. It's either the PSU or the CPU. The only problem is the pc is about 8 years old and i'm not sure how easy it's going to be to find a psu that fits since im pretty sure the standard has changed. Technology moves so fast nowdays! :(

Might go hunting for a new psu tomorrow morning. I wish my brother was home, he knows stuff about computers ;(!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh is it the beep beep beep beep beep noise when you start it up?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

neafoo said:
Considering the weird noises it makes sometimes im guessing hardware. It's not the hdd, ram or video card. It's either the PSU or the CPU. The only problem is the pc is about 8 years old and i'm not sure how easy it's going to be to find a psu that fits since im pretty sure the standard has changed. Technology moves so fast nowdays! :(

Might go hunting for a new psu tomorrow morning. I wish my brother was home, he knows stuff about computers ;(!!!
Find your motherboard's manual online and check what x number of beeps means...

neafoo

HSC

stazi said:
oh is it the beep beep beep beep beep noise when you start it up?
Nah it actually makes it into windows normally, but after a random period of time it just shuts down completely. Then if i go to turn it back on right after that it either turns off pretty much straight away or makes it back into windows, operates normally for a few minutes then turns off again.

I was saving for a new bass, but i might have to buy a new computer instead if it isnt the psu :(

EDIT: When i say weird noises... its not the computer making beeps, it's something mechanical or electric that isn't supposed to happen... its hard to explain... at first i thought it was something stuck in the fans but evidently not. I haven't turned it on properly since because it doesn't sound safe :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

neafoo said:
Nah it actually makes it into windows normally, but after a random period of time it just shuts down completely. Then if i go to turn it back on right after that it either turns off pretty much straight away or makes it back into windows, operates normally for a few minutes then turns off again.

I was saving for a new bass, but i might have to buy a new computer instead if it isnt the psu :(

EDIT: When i say weird noises... its not the computer making beeps, it's something mechanical or electric that isn't supposed to happen... its hard to explain... at first i thought it was something stuck in the fans but evidently not. I haven't turned it on properly since because it doesn't sound safe :)
Open the case and figure out where the noise is coming from. Sounds like it could be HDD...

neafoo

HSC

withoutaface said:
Open the case and figure out where the noise is coming from. Sounds like it could be HDD...
At first i thought it was the hdd, so i took my master out and set the slave to master, no luck (Unless they're both dying). The case is open but its impossible to pinpoint the sound (I even got a cardboard tube thing and tried to listen closely). I THINK it's it's comming from psu or cpu.

Thanks for the help though, friends =]

CurlyRuby

HSC

withoutaface said:
Maybe there's a gnome in there. Or an elf. Or a unicorn. Could be all kinds of dastardly magical creatures frolicking around in there.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

neafoo said:
At first i thought it was the hdd, so i took my master out and set the slave to master, no luck (Unless they're both dying). The case is open but its impossible to pinpoint the sound (I even got a cardboard tube thing and tried to listen closely). I THINK it's it's comming from psu or cpu.

Thanks for the help though, friends =]
I think it's either the PSU, still, or the fan on the CPU (it may be shutting off because it overheats).

ledzeppelin

HSC

neafoo said:

i'm surprised your pc's survived that long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)