Semester 2 Chatter Thread (2007) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Re: Semester II Chatter Thread!

Well I'm lost when it comes to Statistics. I have a clash on Mondays. :(

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

i like statistics, tis fun....in an odd way and :wave: to anybody is McGrath Access atm

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

What in God's name is McGrath? There's a McGrath building?

I despise mature age students with a vengeance. They dominate tutorial discussion to an insane degree. I hope they all suffer from painful broken limbs.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Heh. If you wanted to debate that there's a few threads in the NCAP forum in which to do so.

But on the subject of those types of students. I mean, I don't regard myself as terribly shy, especially not when it comes to tutorials. In fact, last semester in govt, I was well aware that perhaps I talked a little too much and so I started talking a bit less. But seriously, I find it bloody impossible to say a bloody thing in this God damned tutorial. In education - it's fine, there's no problems. Biology? It's fine, everyone gets an equal amount of time. English? No such bloody luck. Instead, it's the same three fuckers that sit at the front of the room yabbering on about jackshit while the other 20 students (I counted them) pipe up only once or twice. Not because they're too shy, or don't know what they're talking about, but because the same couple of students just don't know when to give it a break. Hey! I like what they say. I find it interesting and informative, but God, other people need a chance to speak and when one of the students talks SO MUCH that the tutor actually needs to interrupt him to give other people a chance, things have gone too far.

I only raise this because today our tutor asked us for suggests to our tutorial, so I kinda gave a suggestion that there needs to be a system so that everyone can talk for an equal amount of time. I mean, seriously.

Waaah.

neafoo

HSC

i love it when mature age students hog the discussion.
means i dont have to say shit. (you might think whats the big issue with talking? but i have a 'disorder' ;( ).

that said sometimes i can see people just screaming to say stuff and they cant... must be frustrating :)

HSC

^ Yeah I know how you feel. I love the bigmouths in tutorials, because it takes away attention from myself. Sure they shit me sometimes, but hey.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
^ Yeah I know how you feel. I love the bigmouths in tutorials, because it takes away attention from myself. Sure they shit me sometimes, but hey.
Ditto here :)

Although I talk in my English one because I actually understand it, even though I don't go to the lectures :eek:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

i love it when mature age students hog the discussion.
means i dont have to say shit. (you might think whats the big issue with talking? but i have a 'disorder' ;( ).
I like talking, which I guess is why I have such a big problem with these people. It's also why I find education/arts subjects so much more fun (not nessecarily more interesting) than science subjects, because the tuts involve lots of fun talking. But we all share the overall same problem, in that the coarse, loudmouth, overbearing students take away from what could be excellent tutorials! I say I form my own society! The anti-mature-age-students-who-hog-seminar/tutorial-discussion society.

I was mentioned in the lecture today. Something about a book by King Nebuchadnezzar. I felt so cool.

Edit: When did the new units for schools/departments go up? I noticed that the English second year units offered in semester 2 next year (which I would be doing, should I change to science/arts) all look pretty cool. Postmodernism and reading sexuality both sound as if they'd be interesting/fun. Unfortunately, first semester english gives me a choice of either language texts & time (blargh), or australian literature or some crap. They both sound shit.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

so close to dropping engineering...

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

uac wants to charge me $47 to put in an application

gh3y

HSC

PHIL essay due tomorrow. Sigh. I HATE the Leviathan. :(

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

jb_nc said:

gh3y
That reminds me, I need to apply to transfer to law at some point. Ho ho ho, as if my marks will be high enough.
neafoo said:
some of the readings for this subject are fucking epic (like the first one... 80 pages lul)
Yeah, I seem to spend half my life doing ancient readings nowadays. Plus my history tutor is threatening to deduct marks if we don't do the readings for that. Ugh.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

Malfoy said:
I'm totally shy in tutes (except for the week we discussed HP in World of Fantasy, and occasionally when things push my buttons in education) - I talk a lot online but am generally mostly silent in person.

I wonder if your English people are the same as my ones in History. One in one of my history classes was an older woman with really short hair and who wore boardies and T-shirts. She used to suck up to the lecturer like whoa and you couldn't get a word in during tutorials; one of the other girls in my tute said she had her in a couple of subjects and she never shuts up.

The other was in Renaissance history last year and was even worse. We had 12 people in the tute and she was literally the only one who ever talked. It was bad enough having a 9am tute but to have to listen to some woman ramble on about completely irrelevant stuff (her favourite thing was talking about indigenous people and genocide... what does that have to do with 1400s Spain?) and just completely take over made these lessons atrocious.

I hate tutorials most of the time. Give me lectures any day!
yeah i'm pretty shy in tutes as well, i hate big tutorial groups for that reason...my clss1002 tute is huge, i doubt i'll be saying much even if i want to (you guessed it we have a case of loud-mouth disease there too)...i like the engl1007 tutes though because the guy explicitly said to us that we didnt have to participate actively which took some of the pressure off. i dont like that you get participation marks for tutes, they should be able to take marks OFF from people who never shut up, there has to be balance.

engl1007 is actually shaping up to be my favourite subject this semester...i didn't think i'd grasp it as well as i'm doing at the moment. i do have problems with the terminology though; i can explain grammar in my own simplistic clumsy terms but i wouldnt be able to identify it as "clausal negation" or "accusative case" if it came up and bit me on the nipples...however this phonetic transcription business is looking good, i like :uhhuh: plus even when i don't get it the lecturer (Nick? is that his name?) manages to make it interesting, he's cool. his explanations tend to get the point across very well.

neafoo

HSC

Triangulum said:
That reminds me, I need to apply to transfer to law at some point. Ho ho ho, as if my marks will be high enough.

Yeah, I seem to spend half my life doing ancient readings nowadays. Plus my history tutor is threatening to deduct marks if we don't do the readings for that. Ugh.
what tutor do you have? im doing my ancient readings for this week right now (ONLY 16 PAGES TO GO ;D?)
my tutor is really nice. to be honest its the only tute so far ive felt nearly comfortable being in.

malfoy said:
I did that class last year (it was 1004 then). It has a massive brick of a reader, doesn't it? Do you guys still have to suffer Sarah Lawrence?
readers about 350 pages... but alot of it is still in e-reserve, not the reader.
... who is Sarah Lawrence?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

neafoo said:
what tutor do you have? im doing my ancient readings for this week right now (ONLY 16 PAGES TO GO ;D?)
my tutor is really nice. to be honest its the only tute so far ive felt nearly comfortable being in.
Mine is Jonathan, who is awesome.
malfoy said:
I did that class last year (it was 1004 then). It has a massive brick of a reader, doesn't it? Do you guys still have to suffer Sarah Lawrence?
Pretty big reader, yeah. We don't have Sarah Lawrence, the main lecturer is Kathryn Welch.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

jbnc said:
Small price to pay compared to $20,000+ for a degree. :eek:

So like...ENGL1002 ppl. Isn't Lawrence Warner like, the coolest guy ever? I mean, seriously? He rocks!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Small price to pay compared to $20,000+ for a degree. :eek:

So like...ENGL1002 ppl. Isn't Lawrence Warner like, the coolest guy ever? I mean, seriously? He rocks!
ohshit. you just made me realise. i think i wrote the wrong subject/tutor on my essay cover sheet...i think i wrote down the details for 1007 instead of 1002. i was so sick that morning, probably wasn't thinking straight...

they'll work it out won't they? *worry*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)