• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Separate Division Forums? (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Sorry, I must've missed something. Why do we need the segmentation? Is the MQ forum so very busy that it's needed?

It takes away the communal atmosphere that once existed here.

I personally liked the idea of knowing people in different divisions. I know that the theory would go I could read the other forums, and that there's a 'general' forum for the cross-divisonal things, but I'm still of the opinion that it's unnecessary segmentation. Will everyone else be doing that, too, to ensure that the general quality of discussion doesn't fall? And if so, why bother with different segments? Did the MQ forum Really get that clogged with messages?

Boo to Forum Segmentation.

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
This might be needed elsewhere, but not here.

Totally fucking stupid.

The previous forum layout was better as it divided MQers into actuaries and non-actuaries.

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
Sorry, I must've missed something. Why do we need the segmentation? Is the MQ forum so very busy that it's needed?

It takes away the communal atmosphere that once existed here.

I personally liked the idea of knowing people in different divisions. I know that the theory would go I could read the other forums, and that there's a 'general' forum for the cross-divisonal things, but I'm still of the opinion that it's unnecessary segmentation. Will everyone else be doing that, too, to ensure that the general quality of discussion doesn't fall? And if so, why bother with different segments? Did the MQ forum Really get that clogged with messages?

Boo to Forum Segmentation.
I totally agree.

From what I hear, the reasoning is IT related. I really don't like the segmentation, either. I opt for a brown cookie, rather than the two-tone one, as Jerry Seinfeld said.

Division of Environmental and Life Sciences -- Last Post: Never... mmm, way to make people feel popular!

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
I agree with you guys, threads weren't getting lost or overlooked in the old design. It just seems complicated for complication's sake.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Skittled, I think the plan follows that, 'official' division/academic stuff will be kept to the divisions, but the general section will still exist as a 'meeting room' kinda thing. The move was done for ease, and easier management for the admins and database work, and also to organise the tertiary section like the HSC section in a bid to try and make it cleaner :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Not a fan of the new layout. I say the people who made the changes should walk the blank like a true enemy of the pirate.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
bring back the old one... more interaction!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'm sure you guys will get used to it. I find it usually attracts new people if its better organised like this.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
(For the sake of message length, I'll not quote Asylum and Jasee.. but they're the posts I'm referring to. My apologies if this sounds aggressive: it's not meant to be, but it's something I sincerely believe/worry about.)

I understand the reasons for the change; I'm sure it's easier, and cleaner, and "more attractive" to new people. However I'm not convinced that the old system was "unattractive". Have we agreed the segmentation was necessary? If not, I'd suggest that it might be considered acceptably 'attractive'. What do the new MQ BOSsers think?

Perhaps there'll be a significant difference (shall we run the stats? ;)) in the number of new MQ BOSsers as a result: I understand that idea -- I'd hate to see the whole of BOS in a single, "generalist" forum. The organisation is clean and attractive, and maybe that transposes to the small individual-univeristy size boards, too.

However, in my opinion, running a board is also about keeping a community together. A critical aspect of this is keeping people interested thereby maintaining membership and readership. Part of what I personally like about the discussion here -- and is a huge factor in keeping old BOSsers -- is that the discussion is stimulative and interesting. We have such a range of backgrunds contributing to the board and each discussion.

Instead, now, the different people from the different divisions will go to their respective board, possibly another they're interested in. I worry that the 'general' part will turn into a uni-based carbon copy of non-school (with, perhaps, some MQ-based current-events type talk), and the disciplined forums will (could) become very straight, much less dynamic, and much less interesting due to the lower levels of involvement.

I believe the segmentation totally destroys the feeling of the board. The idea of a web forum is to create a coherent, enjoyable, active community, not to unnecessarily segment them into smaller ones simply because it's easier (was there a reason beside being 'prettier' and 'easier'?). Taken to the logical, if somewhat dramatic, conclusion, it's easier --and perhaps, occaisonally, prettier!-- not to run one at all.

(Edit: BB formatting code requires caps in the tags...)

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't you worry, I'll still be checking each and every section, and because of that (looks at post count and off-topicness) all should be well :p

X

xeuyrawp

It's ok. I hear that a certain boser is helping with an awesome Macquarie-only forum -- soon to be released. :)

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
totally agreed!
i preferred the older layout. i could just open up any thread that sounds interesting and reply.
rather than opening up my own "division" and miss out on the interesting stuff happening in the others

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I don't like it either. it is also much harder to get into the macquarie forum now, we are mushed in the middle of a number of other unis so we have to concentrate to find the heading and then we have to make an extra click to get to the general section and possible more clicks to get to the other sections. petty complaints i know, i'll probably get used to it as it is now but it was just easier before.

as for the separate divisions - i think it is likely to become like the 'uni' section of the forums. I very rarely visit the general section, i only visit the macquarie section. it's likely that people will stop visiting the general macquarie section and just visit their own division OR the divisions will be lacking in attention and everyone will come to the general forum

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I know it's yucky dear hearts, but it's fanatically better for the server and gives the Uni forums a "uniform" look. It may be more of a hinderance to MQ because we're smaller, but in the grand tertiary scheme of things it works out better.

We'll get used to it eventually *hugs for all*

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
It reminds me of something Steve read somewhere about the internet: every extra click loses a customer (or something to that effect). I kinda understood it, but now I appreciate that comment. I dont want to have to open up three separate windows to view the three forums which are applicable to me, and then scroll through the threads and open up more windows. I get bored.

haha, I'm bored of BoS! ;)

X

xeuyrawp

I just found this, about Colleges. That would be the best forum separation, imo. The only bad thing is that Psych is put with the sciences, but most psychologists like to think their stuff is scientific.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I just found this, about Colleges. That would be the best forum separation, imo. The only bad thing is that Psych is put with the sciences, but most psychologists like to think their stuff is scientific.
Did I miss something with the grammar? Should there be a "but" in the last sentence? ...and I'll ignore the underlying argument ;)

AsyLum said:
Don't you worry, I'll still be checking each and every section, and because of that (looks at post count and off-topicness) all should be well :p
I understand (or, can imagine) that it's (marginally?) better for the server. I can imagine that looking at the posts will be an indicator of the 'success' of the change, however won't indicate anything with the quality of them. Please note that I'm not trying to be hostile, I just think it causes more problems than it prevents/fixes... from a user's point of view, anyway.

Ta for the smile, Glitter! :D

(Edit: As a business student this seems to be a nice example of why change management procedures are generally necessary, esp when something is fundamentally changed.)

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
where did all these smelly universities pop-up from anywayz? I have to take an extra 0.8 seconds of my life to find the maq link. Oh well, i probably would have wasted them on something else anywayz..

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's a really good way of organising the forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)