• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

sharemarket discussion thread (1 Viewer)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
wooo my shares are finally going back up, slowly, slowly.

fuck the credit crunches have been so fucking scary :(

ive got shares in WOR (worleyparsons energy) and QBE (insurance).

who wants to trade for a charizard hologram?

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
i just bought my first shares this week...i forget what they are! haha ppr or something? anyway i bought at 2.1c and they're at 2.5c now, yes low i know but they're newcomers...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
going pretty well. bought my first shares 2 weeks ago. I own 120 ANZ shares ($2.4k worth). They have gained about $200. I'm waiting until they pay out dividends, and then will sell off soon after that if the market is up, as I predict it would be

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
IronMaiden said:
Parents super has suffered losses of up to 12%. Spewin.
That all?

As long as they have another 5-7 years of work left in them, then they should be fine over the long-term. As the market drops, their super fund buys more units, so when the market picks up again, they recoup their losses much much quicker than the time it took to make those losses. Its a simple concept called dollar-cost averaging.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
How does one trade shares on a daily basis without getting raped by brokerage fees?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Get loads of money first :( Then brokerage fees aren't too bad. I mean, the only reason I'm waiting to get dividends is because they'd pay for my brokerage fees

stazi

Nightman
HSC
how? why do dividend payouts decrease the value of the share? So shares, for example, would drop from $30/share to $29/share just because a dividend is paid out?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
just had a look at historical ANZ prices and share prices only fell by about 10-20c after dividends were paid, whilst dividends were over 50c/share.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ok thanks that helped understand it heaps :)

i do get 100% franking credits for my ANZ dividends = win. Are those credits only to offset the exact amount I got paid in dividends?

I didn't mean immediately sell off, btw, I meant wait for the payout first, then wait until the market hits its short-term peak, and sell the shares lah

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Ashton be my share guy

Also Chris, I have a Charizard hologram and will trade

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
share guy? is that a guy who you share around with ur mates at a rowdy party :shy:

awesome ben, you get my 43k that my shares are currently at, and i get ur pokemon card. awesome.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
JFK said:
so basically a company is valued on the sum of all their projected cash flows

and a company can basically do two things with their retained earnings - give some to investors as dividends and keep some for themselves for reinvestment etc

so when a stock goes ex-dividend (ie. declared dividend belongs to the seller rather than the buyer) the stock price will usually drop in price by the amount of the expected dividend...because the money is flowing out of the company and into the hands of the investors...the company's assets have decrease...value has decreased

so theoretically, in a perfectly efficient market share price will decrease by the exact amount of the dividend leaving the investor's investment position (overall) unchanged.

then again in australia you get franking credits with dividends which can be used as tax offsets
and empirically share prices dont always drop by the exact amount of the dividend

but they do drop

so yeah, selling your shares after you receive the dividend doesn't neccessarily mean you've magically avoided the brokerage fees eroding yr profit.

geez my finance is rusty
Besides that you'll have a lot of people buying up in anticipation of the dividend, and a lot of people wanting to sell once they've received it, resulting in a rise then a drop...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol if people sell once they receive the dividend, that would be a drop rather than a rise. if people are buying, then demand increases, whilst supply decreases = rise

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
lol if people sell once they receive the dividend, that would be a drop rather than a rise. if people are buying, then demand increases, whilst supply decreases = rise
That's what I'm saying. The share price goes up as you approach the time the dividend will be paid, and goes down as soon as it is.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh right. that makes sense. the dividend cutoff date is like 1.5 months before they are paid though, so that's when the price would go up.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
JFK said:
Day traders have software worth thousands and thousands of dollars as well...only people who are rich to start out with can day trade tbh
That plus the fact that day trading appears for all its worth, fucking stressful.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
oh right. that makes sense. the dividend cutoff date is like 1.5 months before they are paid though, so that's when the price would go up.
That'd probably be so that it smooths out the drop, because the decrease in demand happens 90 days before the increase in supply.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fuck yeah. i'm so tempted to sell my ANZ shares. I mean, a 9.4% increase is huge in only about 12 trading days

edit: 10% lol

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Get rich (or die trying).

Sif you have the skills to be a day trader anyway.
No I know, but they're skills I one day hope to have. I was just curious as to how one would hypothetically go about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)