Shares (1 Viewer)

anne1010

HSC
Hey guys,

I've been reading around and saw quite a number of you have some shares. Anyone care go explain what shares, what it includes etc. Buying some after school kinda interests me but i have no idea on all the jazz included. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I personally wouldn't buy shares at the moment.

I guess it depends on how much risk you want to take.

If you wanted to invest long term (couple of years) then I would invest in blue-chip stocks, those which are bound to go up when the economy picks up.
Things like big banks, investment banks, mining companies (rio tinto is a good one).
I'd stay away from retail stocks unless it's Woolworths/Coles.

If I were you I'd also consider forex trading, particularly of the chinese yuan. (again quite long term)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The uncertainty in the markets makes me very wary of investing at the moment.

anne1010

HSC
I personally wouldn't buy shares at the moment.

I guess it depends on how much risk you want to take.

If you wanted to invest long term (couple of years) then I would invest in blue-chip stocks, those which are bound to go up when the economy picks up.
Things like big banks, investment banks, mining companies (rio tinto is a good one).
I'd stay away from retail stocks unless it's Woolworths/Coles.

If I were you I'd also consider forex trading, particularly of the chinese yuan. (again quite long term)
so ive heard!
also been advised to invest in pharmaceuticals. people will always need medicine and people will always use banks.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so ive heard!
also been advised to invest in pharmaceuticals. people will always need medicine and people will always use banks.
You're getting the wrong idea.
(Unless you're talking really safe stocks).

With Pharmaceuticals, they're very profitable overseas, particularly in the US.

In Australia, where we have one of the lowest prices for medicine, with its subsidies by the government, it's not very profitable.

The idea is not to buy something that 'people will always use'.
If you wanted really safe stocks, then that's your strategy.

My strategy is to buy low, sell high.

For instance you might want to invest in banks at the moment, as the price is quite low.
When the economy picks up, and the RBA raises interest rates, and other investors invest into banks, you sell your shares and earn considerable profit.

How much are you thinking of investing?

xV1P3R

HSC
Before you buy real shares, why not play in a sharemarket game? Buy shares with fake money, see how you go and learn along the way.

noddis911

HSC
Uni Grad
I have shares in Telstra, NAB, Macquarie Bank, WDS (company that services mining companies) and STWs (index of the stock exchange). If you want your money to be safe, do not invest in volatile stocks like mining or investment banks. This is because they are extremely liable to fluctuate due to minor changes in currency values, commodity prices, and general changes in the business cycle. On the other hand banks are reasonable secure and so are the supermarkets as suggested above. Also make sure you are not just purchasing stocks with making a quick profit in mind. If you sell in the first year then capital gains tax kicks in at 50% of profits. The best is to buy shares which have a decent dividend yield and are fully franked (ie. most banks, telstra, etc.). On the other hand, do not get sucked into buying stocks offering a 10%+ dividend yield (eg. property developers, etc.) because they are also extremely volatile. For example I bought WDS which had a 12% dividend yield at the time and a month later, they slashed their profit forecasts and did away with a dividend altogether for the year. By the way, now is an extremely good time to buy for long term as prices are cheap and in the next 10-20 years you will be sitting on a nice nest egg for deposit for a house, etc.

Garygaz

HSC
stopped reading after mqg. one of the worst stocks on the market. only making sustainable margins due to their massive tax breaks which are still being brought forward from 07.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)