Shattered Brogden's suicide bid (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
Thatcher as in a user name. Not the women. Irons avatar is Thatcher.. But she is in no way conservative so i don't know what the hell she has it for. It's like me haveing an avatar of.... ok i can't think of anyone.
Haahaa.

You're either saying that Iron's a woman or that Thatcher's not conservative.

I don't know which is more true.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Hmm I've met the bloke several times in the past few years as he lives near me. Although I think he is a decent man, those comments he made about Carr's wife was of course, completely inappropriate. Nonetheless, deep down I still feel sorry for him as one can imagine the crushing irony of one day being potential future-premier and the next, suicidal, with his career and possibly marriage ruined.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
What is even more ironic is that the incidents happened at a function that celebrated Bob Carr's resignation. (according to Lateline)

Poor Brogden. I mean, these last few days must have been the worst days of his life. Well, like Warren Buffett said: it takes 60 years to build a reputation, and only 60 seconds to destroy it.

Blame Daily Telegraph.

K

katie_tully

I understand that he would have been under immense pressure and the media is relentless, but I don't believe it was a genuine attempt on his life. He was drunk and in despair.

Awr, Thatcher reincarnated. <3 Hahaha, I thought Iron was a dude who just happened to like Thatcher....

Captain pi

HSC
He didn't attempt suicide. If he wanted to die he could have easily killed himself. Inflicting minor stab wounds to ones self I don't consider as an attempt on ones life, I consider it an attention seeking stunt - he knows he is disgraced, I think he is counting on public sympathy now.
Humans are (surprise, surprise) not designed to kill themselves; thus, the lack of severity of his injuries does not imply that he was not trying to kill himself. It is outrageous to suggest any suicide attempt is attention-seeking: saying an attempt was attention-seeking does not achieve anything worthwhile if it was, and is extremely harmful if it was not. It is particularly ridiculous in this case, considering the intense media attention was a major cause – at least a component cause – in his attempt.

heybraham

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
That he flirted with a journalist?
well it was a low-key event. not like he pinched her ass in front of an audience or something. it was just a random 'joke'. it's been taken way too far, racism is nothing new, Australians just very good at hiding it. i'm of asian background and i don't give a shit.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
yeah, I didn't really find that comment exceptionally racist, but it seems other people did.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Can't even kill himself properly. Tsk tsk.. I'm glad he's got no chance of being a premier now. What a failure.

nwatts

HSC
heybraham said:
well it was a low-key event. not like he pinched her ass in front of an audience or something. it was just a random 'joke'. it's been taken way too far, racism is nothing new, Australians just very good at hiding it. i'm of asian background and i don't give a shit.
Nope, he asked a Sun Hearld reporter if she was up for some quick sex while he was smashed in a bar.

There's a link to the article in the other Brogden thread.

Generator

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Nope, he asked a Sun Hearld reporter if she was up for some quick sex while he was smashed in a bar.

There's a link to the article in the other Brogden thread.
He asked if she was available. Try not to be too creative.

nwatts

HSC
Generator said:
He asked if she was available. Try not to be too creative.
Available for what, a press conference?

Read between the lines. He wanted some action.

Generator

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Available for what, a press conference?

Read between the lines. He wanted some action.

He 'merely' asked is she was available. Even though one may freely read between the lines, elaborating upon what was said achieves nothing given that we only have the comment to work with. For all that we know, the actual 'romp' that his comments seemingly allude to may not have been his intention at all, for he could have just been all talk and no action (as many other men are).

nwatts

HSC
Generator said:

He 'merely' asked is she was available. Even though one may freely read between the lines, elaborating upon what was said achieves nothing given that we only have the comment to work with. For all that we know, the actual 'romp' that his comments seemingly allude to may not have been his intention at all, for he could have just been all talk and no action (as many other men are).
From SMH article - "He slipped one arm around the small of my back, leant down and said: "Enough of that. Are you available?" I must have looked startled, as did my colleague."

All predisposition aside, if you cannot realise that actions like this allude to sex, you need to get out more.

Generator

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
From SMH article - "He slipped one arm around the small of my back, leant down and said: "Enough of that. Are you available?" I must have looked startled, as did my colleague."

All predisposition aside, if you cannot realise that actions like this allude to sex, you need to get out more.

I'm well aware of the what was written within the article (I linked it through) and what those comments suggest, but that is all that we have, a comment and their suggested meaning as reported by the journalist. We are in no position to know whether the proposition was an act of bravado or one of intent, so as far I'm concerned there is little point in going beyond the "are you available?" and claiming that he was after a quickie before heading home.

jennylim

HSC
nwatts said:

some people are ridiculously hysterical. omg, so yes, he asked if she was available. yes, there were sexual undertones. yes, he flirted with her. maybe he was perfectly serious and wanted to bone her there. maybe he was joking and trying to enjoy a fun night at a bar with a pretty woman. she said she had a bf. he backed off. big whoop!! how does that justify her self-righteous drivel of "no woman should be made to feel how i felt..."??? it was certainly dumb for a man in a public position to do something like that at a function with journalists, but if we take the situation to an average guy in a bar with the average girl, would the girl be screaming sexual harassment? somehow i doubt it.

that said there's way more to the brogden saga than this shit. there's all that liberal extreme christian right faction machiavellian manouvreing (i'll just quickly disassociate myself from them) to bring the small-l-liberal brogden down. like that bar crap happened last month, not yesterday - it was shushed up then suddenly everywhere.

some reckon debnam is merely the pawn of the real powerplayers (hey...an english text up for grabs?) david clarke and alex hawke: anti-abortionists, anti-gay marriage, highly conservative and verging on extremism. there's talk of preselections being threatened and all sorts of backdoor dealing. man, politics disgusts me atm.

Generator

HSC
N/A
jennylim said:
that said there's way more to the brogden saga than this shit. there's all that liberal extreme christian right faction machiavellian manouvreing (i'll just quickly disassociate myself from them) to bring the small-l-liberal brogden down. like that bar crap happened last month, not yesterday - it was shushed up then suddenly everywhere.

some reckon debnam is merely the pawn of the real powerplayers (hey...an english text up for grabs?) david clarke and alex hawke: anti-abortionists, anti-gay marriage, highly conservative and verging on extremism. there's talk of preselections being threatened and all sorts of backdoor dealing. man, politics disgusts me atm.
For anyone who's interested, check the Stateline site tomorrow (or just watch tomorrow's repeat of tonight's programme) for a discussion of the above.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
He is a man in the public spotlight. He is a role model. He has a wife and a young child. He is the head of a conservative political party. His actions are totally unacceptable.
I have a feeling alot of politicians/people/etc get up to this sorta thing quite a lot. Alot of people were willing to forgive Bill Clinton (me included) for having sex with Monica Lewinsky and this is nothing like that.

nwatts

HSC
jennylim said:
some people are ridiculously hysterical. omg, so yes, he asked if she was available. yes, there were sexual undertones. yes, he flirted with her. maybe he was perfectly serious and wanted to bone her there. maybe he was joking and trying to enjoy a fun night at a bar with a pretty woman. she said she had a bf. he backed off. big whoop!! how does that justify her self-righteous drivel of "no woman should be made to feel how i felt..."??? it was certainly dumb for a man in a public position to do something like that at a function with journalists, but if we take the situation to an average guy in a bar with the average girl, would the girl be screaming sexual harassment? somehow i doubt it.
Oh please.

A drunken man says "are you available" to an attractive, young woman, while stroking their back. He was asking for sex.

He is a man in the public spotlight. He is a role model. He has a wife and a young child. He is the head of a conservative political party. His actions are totally unacceptable.

You're right. If Brogden was a nobody this would be unheard of. But the fact remains that Brogden is the leader of the NSW opposition - his actions are on show for the entire state. To act in this manner, again, is unacceptable.

Last edited:

jennylim

HSC
nwatts said:
Oh please.

A drunken man says "are you available" to an attractive, young woman, while stroking their back. He was asking for sex.

You're right. If Brogden was a nobody this would be unheard of. But the fact remains that Brogden is the leader of the NSW opposition - his actions are on show for the entire state. To act in this manner, again, is unacceptable.
by ridiculously hysterical, i was referring to angela cumings and the various journalists who engaged in this media furore. not you. so yes, he asked her for sex....

at least he did her the politeness of asking? lol. all i can say is that what happened was not sexual harassment. he backed off when she said no - he did not push the case. it was certainly unacceptable for a married man and a father and definitely worse as the leader of a political party....but it is not as bad as people make out. as not that bright said, people have been willing to forgive and like bill clinton after monica lewinsky did a blow job on him. the brogden bizzo, while being bad, is not as bad as the daily telegraph makes out. asking a woman for sex while being drunk and then backing off instantly, while being bad, doesn't equate "sordid past" or "sexual harassment" by any stretch of the imagination.

lol, it's funny that you're a guy and you're far more defensive of womens' positions and rights than i am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)