shit umat = not a chance at mbbs? (1 Viewer)

callum21

HSC
Hey, got my umat results today:

s1: 51
s2: 52
s3: 53
overall: 52
percentile: 61

Is there any chance of getting an interview with a predicted atar of 94 (gws applicant)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Sorry, again. DW: I missed out the first time, there are other avenues, esp for UWS, UNCLE, etc. Non-standard entry, etc

Mr bakr

HSC
Sorry, again. DW: I missed out the first time, there are other avenues, esp for UWS, UNCLE, etc. Non-standard entry, etc
Sorry i'm not sure if you've answered this already- but could you please explain what these other avenues are? how did you get in?

thanks

callum21

HSC
I have a friend studying mbbs at uws, he said that in his cohort some people had a umat of only 150, so with my umat score of 155, i suppose i still have a chance of getting an interview?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I have a friend studying mbbs at uws, he said that in his cohort some people had a umat of only 150, so with my umat score of 155, i suppose i still have a chance of getting an interview?
How many friends? They must've completely killed the interview.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I haven't heard about anyone with 150 at UWS, except for Aboriginal and TSI students. Not even adv sci pathway students have UMAT scores that low.

I presume they are talking about the scalled umat score for GWS applicants which was umat section 1 + section 2 and 1/3 section 3. In your case it would only be 120. UWS has a high umat cut-off esp for non-gws students because of the UAI/ATAR threshold meaning they only look at umat for interview selection, unlike other uni's such as UNSW which use a combination of ATAR and UMAT.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
What is the UMAT cut-off for GWS students to be offered an interview at UWS?
It has varied each year, due to supply and demand and scalling so they get 50% GWS and 50% non-gws at the interview. Last year is was around 140 for GWS scalled.

Top Secret

HSC
It has varied each year, due to supply and demand and scalling so they get 50% GWS and 50% non-gws at the interview. Last year is was around 140 for GWS scalled.
Yea, seems OK. But did they introduce scaling after 2007? Here's an extract from MSO wiki:

"In 2007 successful applicants were in the top 10% of all students who took the UMAT. A non-GWS applicant required a UMAT raw score of 183 to be offered an interview while a GWS applicant required a raw score of 164."

freq707

HSC
wait...so can anyone confirm that with my raw score (167 s1 57 s2 54 s3 56), should i still fill out uac and apply for med at uws....or even uncle at all?
im not GWS...
i figure if i have a shot at uws ill apply for both...purely coz it will stil cost me $52 or whatever...
but yer i dont wana pay if theres no point so can anyone confirm whether 167 will have a shot of an interview at UWS

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Top secret: They introduced scaling last year. Previously it was unscalled for the HSC 06 and 07 cohorts.

wait...so can anyone confirm that with my raw score (167 s1 57 s2 54 s3 56), should i still fill out uac and apply for med at uws....or even uncle at all?
im not GWS...
i figure if i have a shot at uws ill apply for both...purely coz it will stil cost me $52 or whatever...
but yer i dont wana pay if theres no point so can anyone confirm whether 167 will have a shot of an interview at UWS
You won't have a chance at UWS for both GWS and Non-GWS. They only people who can confirm it is the med school admin ring the number listed on the UWS Med school page. Speak to either Penny and Lyndall and they'll prob tell you something along the same lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)