Shocked !!!! What The Hell (1 Viewer)

Nosviper

HSC
Awoke to this shocking email today

Dear Student,
You have been unsuccessful in the English Diagnostic test.
You will be placed in a smaller tutorial class run by staff from UTS English Language Study Skills Assistance (ELSSA) unit within 48230 Engineering Communication. Please check that you are correctly enrolled in 48230 Engineering Communication.

Best wishes,
Mary Walmsley

This is absurd. That was the most ambiguous english test I have ever taken. I was top of my advanced english class during the HSC and how could I be unsuccessful in this elementary examination. I have replied to the university expressing my feelings about the situation. Even though I am still enrolled into engineering communication I will be in a smaller tutorial class with teachers from language skills assistance. I KNOW I dont need this extra assistance as this is normally reserved for foreign students. Am I able to get out of this?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Nosviper said:
Awoke to this shocking email today

Dear Student,
You have been unsuccessful in the English Diagnostic test.
You will be placed in a smaller tutorial class run by staff from UTS English Language Study Skills Assistance (ELSSA) unit within 48230 Engineering Communication. Please check that you are correctly enrolled in 48230 Engineering Communication.

Best wishes,
Mary Walmsley

This is absurd. That was the most ambiguous english test I have ever taken. I was top of my advanced english class during the HSC and how could I be unsuccessful in this elementary examination. I have replied to the university expressing my feelings about the situation. Even though I am still enrolled into engineering communication I will be in a smaller tutorial class with teachers from language skills assistance. I KNOW I dont need this extra assistance as this is normally reserved for foreign students. Am I able to get out of this?
u failed.........whats the problem.... :karate:

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
which diagnostic test did you do?

i havnt even got an email yet?

i hate this suspense

Nosviper

HSC
Not sure. I think you only receive an email if you are unsuccessful at one of them because I didnt receive a physics or mathematics one which im pretty sure I passed.

I really dont want to be in a smaller class full of retards.

donnytuco

tuco
HSC
Nosviper said:
I really dont want to be in a smaller class full of retards.
lol, just because english is their second language doesn't mean they're retarded.

boris

Banned
HSC
Yeah.
I bet they'll probably kick your ass in engineering, just because they don't speak good England doesn't mean they're not shifty little bastards when it comes to making concrete pillars or whatever it is you guys do.
I'd take the smaller class. So what if they can't speak English. My chem lecturer can't, and some how he got a job.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
by the sound of her tone,
it just sounds like shes pissed off.
wouldnt you be?

give her a break guys.

boris

Banned
HSC
Unwant3d said:
by the sound of her tone,
it just sounds like shes pissed off.
wouldnt you be?

give her a break guys.
No dice.
If she thinks it's an administration error, why not call up the uni and say 'lol hi guys, I want my paper reviewed!'. If it's not an admin error and she screwed up a basic English diagnostic test and has therefore been placed in this class, then she'll just have to get over it.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
Diagnostic test? is this a UTS thing or an Engineering thing...? i've never heard ppl had to do tests when enrolling at uni... =/

MoNNiE

HSC
Musk is right, its not a bad thing you need to do ELSSA.

Although i passed the diagnostic test I ended up being sent to the ELSSA intensive course during the winter break.
they basically made us write our previous assignment out again in proper 'grammatical English'

though i knew it was coming considering i did the essay 2 hours before it was due and never proof read it!

but all well.. that taught me a lesson!

BTW.. i ended up getting a HD for it. [this was for Eng for Sustainablity.. Eng Com the freaken tutor wouldn't give me an extra mark so i can get a D!]

Last edited:

barryballstine

HSC
Join the club... I messed up the english because I only found out about the diagnostic test on the day and seeing as I was going overseas I had to do it then and there. Thus upon reaching the english part I wrote anything that came to mind to get through the bloody thing asap. So I will see you in the fob english class where we can earn a hd together. Btw is there anyway we can find out our marks from the maths and physics diagnostic test? I know I passed as I received notification, however a score would be nice :) Cheers.

boris

Banned
HSC
the_avec said:
lol i cannot believe people with english as their first language fail a test like that
that is so sad
i sympathise with your stupidity...actually i really dont...drop kicks
you speak good england too i notice.

doink

Clone
HSC
To be completely honest Advanced English @ school had absolutely nothing to with with relevant english skills in the real world, being able to analyse, or for the major part 'partially plaigarise' essays does not exactly constitute as real abilities in english. I did Extension 1 English and got band E4 and i still think it was the biggest joke subject ever, bottom line if you did fail then there is a reason you were put in the class, if you are persistent however i'm sure they wouldn't care if you did the normal one, but to be honest as Musk said its a guaranteed HD and its only 1 subject so it doesn't really matter either way.

Good Luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)