Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
English should be compulsory for the entirety of primary and secondary school.

Many of the people voting no have bad enough English skills as it is; anything that can be done to improve this is a good thing. Moreover, English and English literature are basic parts of our culture. They need to be maintained.

Engineers still need to write papers and communicate with employers, co-workers and clients. Same for Doctors and Actuaries, etc. In fact, especially economics students need good English skills.

Because English should be compulsory, it makes sense to make it count for the UAI also; to make the hard work pay off. Also, it is an incentive for students not to just blow the subject off.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If a person is doing Biology or Senior Science, for example, it doesn't mean that he/she will be good in Maths. Nor does it mean if a person who's doing Visual Arts or Dance or Music, they'll be well-performed in English.

But true, I would be accounting for a minority or a few numbers.

Last edited:

ccc123

HSC
nayyarv said:
This is working on the assumption that most kids gud at science and IT are invariably gud at maths and those good at arts are invariably good at english. It is unlikely to extend the argument any further, coz the exceptions will be too few in number.

I mean, how many people u know are awesome at 10 units of subjects that do not include maths and english. Usually a person is gud at either or both, or just crap for all subjects (not just english and maths)
There's no direct correlation. I was pretty good at science, but I suck at maths immeasurably.

Conversely, I'm good at English, but I can't draw/play an instrument to save my life.

fantabulous

HSC
ccc123 said:
There's no direct correlation. I was pretty good at science, but I suck at maths immeasurably.

Conversely, I'm good at English, but I can't draw/play an instrument to save my life.
But your not doing science :p What band did you get in sc?

ccc123

HSC
fantabulous said:
6, but I'm not using the sc to assess my ability! :p

However, from my yr 10/11 ranks I'm definately more competant at science than maths. Its just that I hate science :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fantabulous said:
In terms of exam credibility, School Certificate exam is one of the worst of its kind.

The marks you get do not necessarily indicate how good you are in that particular subject.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
In terms of exam credibility, School Certificate exam is one of the worst of its kind.

The marks you get do not necessarily indicate how good you are in that particular subject.
nor does the HSC.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
nor does the HSC.
I haven't had my HSC exams yet. So I don't know.

But I reckon HSC rewards students who put efforts in whereas School Certificate is like IQ test (I am referring to Science & Mathematics exams).

HSC
Slidey said:
Because English should be compulsory, it makes sense to make it count for the UAI also; to make the hard work pay off. Also, it is an incentive for students not to just blow the subject off.
Exactly.
The standard of english skills among our generation is already poor enough, imagining life without english as a compulsory subject is just plain scary.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
Of course it should be, you hacks.

Unless you plan to fuck off to a non-English Speaking country (and not return), where your ability to communicate and express yourself in English are not needed. I don't know too many people for whom this would be the case.

HSC English sets you up for the level of academia needed at uni (and in some instances TAFE) as well as communication skills needed in the workforce (stand up and give a speech without shitting yourselves). If you don't like English, too bad. Suck it up. Once you are out of school (unless you take an English related degree) you won't need garbage essays like that in English.
I agree with that. However, if someone asked me about how I improved in English, I would definitely say that I learnt it from somewhere else other than English.

English does improve out critical thinking and encourages ways in which we can improve in essays & grammar but those outcomes are also achieved in other subjects such as History, Economics, Geography and other subjects where essay skills are essential.

I think NSW Government should consider the alternative subject to English where we can still get assessed on different outcomes in other subjects or they should not make English compulsory for those who do certain subjects where we can still learn the contents that are taught in English.

selablad

HSC
lyounamu said:
I agree with that. However, if someone asked me about how I improved in English, I would definitely say that I learnt it from somewhere else other than English.

English does improve out critical thinking and encourages ways in which we can improve in essays & grammar but those outcomes are also achieved in other subjects such as History, Economics, Geography and other subjects where essay skills are essential.

I think NSW Government should consider the alternative subject to English where we can still get assessed on different outcomes in other subjects or they should not make English compulsory for those who do certain subjects where we can still learn the contents that are taught in English.
You say what I think much better than I can, especially the first point :D Maybe I need to study some more English myself, so I can better express myself :uhhuh:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
selablad said:
You say what I think much better than I can, especially the first point :D Maybe I need to study some more English myself, so I can better express myself :uhhuh:
I don't think so. I still have extra yards to cover and trim. I ain't that good when it comes to expressing my own philosophical views.

Continually putting up posts on this helps you with English. You may be unconscious of the improvement, it does improve your ability to express yourself. Having said that, I never learnt English from my English classes (bit of irony), I learnt English from the most random and unexpected places (such as Boredofstudies website).

Muz4PM

HSC
I think that English should be a compulsory subject. English teachers one how to be articulate and clear in expressing one’s self. This ability to be eloquent and clear in your communication is necessary in all fields, whether that be law, engineering, carpentry etc. If you leave school in Year 10, you have been taught the basics of English, which would see you survive in the real world. What English in the senior years does is it refines your ability to communicate a reasoned point of view to another person. If you study Shakespeare, or Browning, or Orwell, you have to read their texts, extract a meaning and have to justify it to another person. Whilst some of the concepts and language maybe abstract to the real world, it teaches you to gather evidence and then express reasons for your opinion, something that most people in their lines of work would have to do at some point in time. It also prepares you to communicate to large groups through speeches and improves spelling, grammar and written expression.

I think it should be compulsory and count toward a UAI because if it isn’t, people won’t study it and take it seriously, losing out on many valuable skills which are needed in later life.

EDIT: I didn't read anything else in the forum. I could not be bothered.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
I haven't had my HSC exams yet. So I don't know.

But I reckon HSC rewards students who put efforts in whereas School Certificate is like IQ test (I am referring to Science & Mathematics exams).
You don't have to do the actual HSC exam to know that students copy each others essays which suggests that it isn't really an indicator of how much they know about the subject.

Last edited:

cleoboulevard

HSC
my writing in ancient history and art is much better because of the practise i do for english.
and even so, i still believe it's important. although trying to find the journey in a text is of little importance to our futures and career paths, its the thinking process and the ability to construct a logical argument that is going to help us in the future, as well as increasing our ability to understand the knowledge and apply it appropriately when needed.
do i like it? f#@$ no... but it's more important for us than one may think.
and yes, ironically i do do 4U english... this is just because i wanted the 4th unit... the first three is too meshuggenuh for me to deal with.
=)
peace.

cleoboulevard

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Of course it should be, you hacks.

Unless you plan to fuck off to a non-English Speaking country (and not return), where your ability to communicate and express yourself in English are not needed. I don't know too many people for whom this would be the case.

HSC English sets you up for the level of academia needed at uni (and in some instances TAFE) as well as communication skills needed in the workforce (stand up and give a speech without shitting yourselves). If you don't like English, too bad. Suck it up. Once you are out of school (unless you take an English related degree) you won't need garbage essays like that in English.
oh my goodness yes!
yep, this is what i meant... scrap my message.

and in addition, wouldn't you want to have a higher grasp of understanding and being critical of literature and language rather than be satisfied with just saying that movie was crap, or yeah, that book was funny. being able to discuss them make it so much better, personally.

.deimonic

HSC
cleoboulevard said:
oh my goodness yes!
yep, this is what i meant... scrap my message.

and in addition, wouldn't you want to have a higher grasp of understanding and being critical of literature and language rather than be satisfied with just saying that movie was crap, or yeah, that book was funny. being able to discuss them make it so much better, personally.
Isn't that a bad thing? I can't watch a movie now without thinking- Camera angles! Symbolism! Juxtaposition! etc.

Affinity

HSC
English should be compulsory along with 2U maths a humanities and a science course.

The syllabus should make a distinction between language, literature and ideology though. It should focus on Language skills such as writing a decent essay(that is grammatically sound with adequate choice of vocabulary and logical structure) about a more generic topic than the highly esoteric ones it concerns itself with.

An interesting note here is that given any HSC subject X, it is more likely to be a study about X than studying X.

Last edited:

abcdeg

HSC
as much as i hate it, i do think it should be compulsory to do because it teaches alot of useful skills (mixed in between all the bullshit) however i don't think it should HAVE to be included in the UAI if you do worst in it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)