Should English be compulsory?? (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: Should Maths be compulsory?

So, just checking:
How many of the different types that you mention (resumes, grant applications, cover letters, news articles, advertising copy, business reports) are taught in the HSC?

When I say 'taught', I mean that students are taught to write them, not write an analysis on them.
None of them have the be specifically taught. That's part of the point of the subject.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

You are ESL? There is no way you could tell. Are there requirements for qualifying for the ESL course?
IIRC eligibility has nothing to do with competency in English but length of residency in Australia does.

It's a bit of a farce imo but to be fair, most students self-select into the tier which is best suited to their abilities (at least from experience).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Then how can they compose those different type of texts without being instructed how to do it?
Because you get taught skills in how to construct texts. That's the point. You shouldn't have to be taught how to individually analysis or write every type of text because the skills are transferable. Essays are a means to and end. Literary analysis is a means to an end.

You're not learning how to write essays, you're learning how to construct arguments and put together ideas (via essays)

You're not analysis poems for techniques, you're extracting complex meaning from complex texts (via poems and techniques)

On a similar point, prior to HSC you should have been taught the fundamentals of meta-language. If that hasn't happened that's a fault of the junior courses, or the students themselves. It's not the job of HSC English to teach spelling, grammar, or language techniques. It should be assumed knowledge by this point, so you can actually focus on what's important.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Funny, and aren't you an English person? Cause based on your previous post, you seen to be an advocate of the subject. Not trying to be nosey or anything, I'm just curious.
Oh, definitely. I've just seen the same debate every year I've been here. Having Math as the focus is a new take on the same question, so it's currently more interesting to read.

NWO

HSC
Yes, it should be. Because English is one of the most spoken languages in the world and not to mention that the primary language in AUstralia is English. IF it is not compulsory, therell be more dumb non-english ppl XD

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
What I think they should do is make both Maths and English compulsory so that it's more evenly balanced as most people are either maths or english people.
I think I'll have to disagree with just that last bit of your reply. As much as I agree making English compulsory is unfair to those who excel at Maths and not English, the reason it's done is because no matter how intelligent you may be you'll struggle to succeed in your career within Australia or on an International Scale if you lack communication/English skills.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: h_g

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I think I'll have to disagree with just that last bit of your reply. As much as I agree making English compulsory is unfair to those who excel at Maths and not English, the reason it's done is because no matter how intelligent you may be you'll struggle to succeed in your career within Australia or on an International Scale if you lack communication/English skills.

This is true, but I struggle to see how HSC english does anything to develop these skills. These skills are learned from years 7-10, and HSC english does nothing to build on them. I believe that english should be compulsory, but the current course should be scrapped for a course that focuses heavily on linguistics and have a separate literature study course like the current english course that is not compulsory.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
This is true, but I struggle to see how HSC english does anything to develop these skills. These skills are learned from years 7-10, and HSC english does nothing to build on them. I believe that english should be compulsory, but the current course should be scrapped for a course that focuses heavily on linguistics and have a separate literature study course like the current english course that is not compulsory.
Mhmm, the HSC course is primarily analytical. A skill which is great to have but not the most important.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Tbh, I wish we could elect the type of "English" we want to pursue, I.e. Ext 1 purely or ext 2 purely without having to do advanced because I feel as if it's the biggest waste of my time (it is actually just literature studies). Also the compulsory units of English prohibits individuals from choosing exactly what they want to do by taking up 2 units.

But I do understand you need it as some kind of benchmark...just wish it wasn't English :mad: (maths maybe?) also don't like how it will definitely count towards ATAR....sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyBoy33

HSC
N/A
Mhmm, the HSC course is primarily analytical. A skill which is great to have but not the most important.

It gives you advantage in other stuff, not the most important but really really great to have, yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)