Should I choose Economic? (1 Viewer)

MinaDoan

HSC
I have nearly finished ...discovering what will appear in my report next year :guitar:
_ Math Ext 1 (aiming for 2)
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry
_ Legal Studies/ Vietnamese
_ Economics/Business studies

Please give me some advices on the last 2 subjects.
My background is Vietnam and...I want to learn more about the rights and the law => :uhoh:
I think i am gud at Maths and suck in English... (somehow survive with a band 7 in Naplan after 1/2 yr in Australia =]] => but I heard economics require a lots of essay writing so i am not confident :(
Any advices will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I have nearly finished ...discovering what will appear in my report next year :guitar:
_ Math Ext 1 (aiming for 2)
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry
_ Legal Studies/ Vietnamese
_ Economics/Business studies

Please give me some advices on the last 2 subjects.
My background is Vietnam and...I want to learn more about the rights and the law => :uhoh:
I think i am gud at Maths and suck in English... (somehow survive with a band 7 in Naplan after 1/2 yr in Australia =]] => but I heard economics require a lots of essay writing so i am not confident :(
Any advices will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you
eco and legal both require a lot of essay writing. Seeing as though you've only recently migrated.. it may be difficult idk.

i've heard of asians who move over in year 10 and have gotten like 95~ uai.. so it's entirely possible. Of course, a lot of work. A lot.
Depends on you

MinaDoan

HSC
@boom: I am not as smart as that student TT although my mark was ranked Excellent but again, i am not as smart as him/her :-(

I am so so worry. The subject selection is coming up and i ask so many people should I do Economic or not. I afraid that if I choose that subject, i will regularly gain a B or C in yr 11 TT.
Do anyone do Economic before? Please give me some advices about this subject.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you like reading? I do economics and enjoy it a fair bit.. but even then i still sort of struggle with the essays - the essays are pretty difficult. Apart from that, it's not too bad

Economics is a lot about concepts/theories/real life situations. (for example; interest rates, inflation, government economic policies, trade exports/imports, employment etc etc)

Take a look at a newspaper, perhaps the Business Sections and you'll get a taste of what economics is about. do you remember all that talk about the global financial crisis?? yep. eco

Some articles regarding the subject of economics can be found here: Ross Gittins - Business - smh.com.au

can you tell us what subjects you're doing right now?

Are you more of a maths/science person? If so, lean towards chemistry, physics

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
oh, so you want to learn about 'rights and the law' ->> Legal Studies.. but imo, legal studies is pretty pointless as a subject. Still, choose that if you're intrested.. it's not too bad

btw even then, if you don't like the subjects you've chosen for year 11... you can still drop them :)

MinaDoan

HSC
I loveeee reading Vietnamese novel (or the ones that are translated to Vnese). I don't know why don't like reading in English, like totally have no idea ^^,

Anw, yeah you are right. Sometimes I think Legal Studies is pointless because people gotta know their rights when they grow up. But i heard it scales up so... dunno
Is economic a..."political stuff" and not a..."making money" one?? =]] Oh no, i think i should think of it again because i never care about politics (or have any ideas what it should be about)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
lol no, politics is pretty much set aside in economics. It's a big *no no* to talk the political side of government decision making, in economics... only in rare circumstances will you justify their policies through politics

also - Legal studies doesn't scale very well

but then, it's up to you. What you enjoy, you should theoretically study well in and succeed.

--

ps. you seem pretty well versed in the english language for some1 who's been here for 6 months, lol

MinaDoan

HSC
^^, I am in year 10 now. It has been 1 & 1/2 hr i speak english ;-)
You are not the only one comment my Eng so and I think people misjudge it =]]
Do you think I can get a ATAR around 95 if my English is like this??

I think I will choose Economics after Chemistry. Then, I need to have a look at the list again.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
^^, I am in year 10 now. It has been 1 & 1/2 hr i speak english ;-)
You are not the only one comment my Eng so and I think people misjudge it =]]
Do you think I can get a ATAR around 95 if my English is like this??

I think I will choose Economics after Chemistry. Then, I need to have a look at the list again.
ahahah, depends what subjects you do. At this rate, you're doing considerably well for someone so new to the language. But if your English is now as it is, not quite. You still have a fair bit of improvement grammar-wise. keep it up, and keep asking around for the opinions of others regarding the subjects.

I'm sure others will have vastly differing opinions to what i believe

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you think you will enjoy the subject and do well in it then go for it. Economics does involve a lot of essays but you will find that a lot of it (atleast with prelims) is graphs and explaining them. I honestly doubt you would lose marks because of your english and ofcourse with ESL you will probably become more confident with essays by the time you sit your hsc.

ilikebeeef

HSC
I reckon you should choose Vietnamese, as you said you like reading Vietnamese books, and since you came from Vietnam, you should have no problem.

On the topic of Eco, I personally found it boring/taking too much time/too content-heavy. If you don't like reading English, don't do it. It's quite a bit of 'reading the textbook and answering questions' in class/homework then churn out essays in assessments. If you don't like or are not good at essays, I wouldn't advise doing it.

If I were you I would choose:
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chem
ESL
Vietnamese

This is assuming you are a maths/science person and want to maximise ATAR with the least effort possible.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I reckon you should choose Vietnamese, as you said you like reading Vietnamese books, and since you came from Vietnam, you should have no problem.

Are you allowed to choose Vietnamese if you come from the background and speak it at home?

HSC
OP: I am being brutally honest here. Unless you can improve your englsih, there is no point in doing economics or legal, although the standard required is less than that for any English Course. From your posts, I can clearly see how you keep missing verb tenses and make other small gramatical errors.
Additionally, for eco/legal you need to write 6-8 pages per essay, and with your viet background, you may struggle. Just a heads up, good luck in the future.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I thought you could only do extension languages if you were already quite fluent? (which i'm assuming the op is) Could easily be wrong.

MinaDoan

HSC
Well, I want to do 6 subjects in yr 11 and 12 to open my career pathway bigger and bigger :))
_ Math ext
_ ESL
_ Physic
_ Chemistry

I used to get a B/C in English. With Chem and Physic, I think there wouldn't be much work because after having a look at the Excel books, I realize I already gone through the basic with my tutor since i was in Vietnam. (May be that's why i got a gud mark in class exam TT)
Also, I don't think i will do Vietnamese because it costs me another $1000 to study the subject i know i will get a high mark (came up to my mind last night). So I plan to do both Business Studies and Economic. I hope Business Studies can help me understand Eco easier. Can anyone tell me again (last time) whether I should do it or not??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)