Should i drop extension mathematics? (1 Viewer)

imatargaryen

HSC
Hi!

I am currently a year 11 student who is doing 14 units.

PDHPE
Modern History
Chemistry
Biology
3 u math
3 u English

I do not attend tutoring. Lately I have been having a lot of trouble keeping up with extension mathematics. I consulted various people who have all said it would be best to drop it. But I can't help but keep listening to that voice in the back of my head that insists that I could do well in it if I just had a tutor.

The problem is is that I have 14 units and need to drop something and that I spend arund 6 hours a day solely on math, both two and three units. What do you guys think? I think I know the answer but just need some reassurance.

Thanks!

kitt

HSC
Gawd ... I have the same problem!

Extension maths is one of those subjects that I just can't see myself enjoying... and I've only done like 3 lessons. I think I'll drop it after the first assessment.? Maybe- that's if I manage to hold out.

I feel your pain. Good luck :D

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hi!

I am currently a year 11 student who is doing 14 units.

PDHPE
Modern History
Chemistry
Biology
3 u math
3 u English

I do not attend tutoring. Lately I have been having a lot of trouble keeping up with extension mathematics. I consulted various people who have all said it would be best to drop it. But I can't help but keep listening to that voice in the back of my head that insists that I could do well in it if I just had a tutor.

The problem is is that I have 14 units and need to drop something and that I spend arund 6 hours a day solely on math, both two and three units. What do you guys think? I think I know the answer but just need some reassurance.

Thanks!
6 hours a day is WAY too much for Mathematics. I spent much less time than that, and I did Extension 2.

I say drop it. The reason why is because (from the sounds of it) you're most likely going to do poorly in it, you may not enjoy it, you'll lose confidence and that lack of confidence may permeate to other subjects too.

Plus there is all the time wasted trying to understand it all.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
1. You don't need a tutor to be successful in extension 1. Only if you're really struggling and feel as though you will benefit more from a tutor, that's when you should get one. It might come off as hypocritical from me, but I notice a lot of people doing well in ext 1 without tutoring. A lot of it comes down to practice.

2. Stick it out until the first couple of assessments. First one is always disheartening to some degree, that's why I say two.

3. You should not be spending 6 hours a day on math. At most, 2-3 for both ext 1 and adv. I think I only spent 1hr a day on it, not including school lessons and I did well enough to make the 4 unit cut offs.

My advice is to stick it out. Once you ace 3u, 2u becomes a lot more bearable. Also there are plenty of people on this thread willing to help you with any maths questions :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think if you answer this question, it will assist you greatly to decide whether you should drop it or not, is extension one maths assumed knowledge for the university degree(s) that you are interested to aspire to get in? If it is, I would recommend you to drop another subject rather than extension one maths, and get a tutor ASAP because you need to study smarter, rather than harder, to be achieving your optimal potential in this subject.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Yeah 6 hours is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to be spending on Maths, or any one subject for that matter! I do 4U and, yes maths is a heavy workload, I make sure to never spend more than 2-3 hours a day on it.

As for dropping it, I'd say stick it out for now. You don't want to have that regret later, and you most definitely don't want to only have 12 units going into HSC year because that's when you should make decision about dropping.

The only advice I can give is to talk to your teacher and see whether you'd need a tutor or whether hs/she can suggest anything to lessen the time spent.

Goodluck and have fun this year! :)

gem19

HSC
Stick with it for awhile and see how you go. I've found already it really heaps you with 2U. If you find yourself struggling you can always drop it for HSC and stay with 2U.
If your really not enjoying it and struggling, i'd say drop it so you can focus more on your other subjects.

enoilgam

HSC
I wouldnt give up on a subject this early on in the year - it might be worth getting a tutor if you are struggling to the point where you need to do 6 hours a day on the subject.

It's also worth considering whether you need MX1 for university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)